Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

04 47re different than 02 and earlier?

1389 Views 18 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  fordassassin
are there any differences between the 03 and 04 47re's and the previous 02/earlier 47re's (input shaft, valve body, etc.)?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
are there any differences between the 03 and 04 47re's and the previous 02/earlier 47re's (input shaft, valve body, etc.)?
The 47re stopped early 2003. IIRC. 48re took over in 2003.5

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i thought, but supposedly trucks with the 8th letter in the VIN being a 6, then you have a 47re. if the 8th letter is a C, then it's a 48re.

mine's an 04, but it's a weak california model with the 235 motor and a 6 in the VIN.

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
What you could do is get the trans I.D. number and call your local Dealer parts department with the number and they should tell you what it is.:thumbsup Did they perform a function 70 on your Vin? That should say what you have also.....

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
It's on the driver side of the trans case. Look right under the shift lever and above the trans pan lip were it seals to the case you will see numbers stamped into the case. It should start with a P5###### or P05#####:thumbsup

· Registered
325 Posts
just internals. 4(four speed) 7( 7 on scale to 8 of power handling) R( dont remember lol) E(electronic or something)
8 is obviously better but no much different.

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
just internals. 4(four speed) 7( 7 on scale to 8 of power handling) R( dont remember lol) E(electronic or something)
8 is obviously better but no much different.
The pump is different, Overdrive with clutches, Valve body passages, Planet Gear sets, Front Ring Gear set's there are a lot off changes from the 47RE to the 48RE and the R = rear wheel drive :thumbsup

· Registered
325 Posts
thank you. i just couldnt remember.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had hoped it's the 48re, but Transgo's installation instructions say about the vin 6/C being what they are.

my truck came from cali before being shipped to mass where i bought it off a dealer. no one talks about the 235hp motor and it's features...hence why i'm asking here...

btw, i'm missing the power of big injectors/comp/clutch. i bet i'm making a whole 180hp at the rear wheels!:woot::rof

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
btw, i'm missing the power of big injectors/comp/clutch. i bet i'm making a whole 180hp at the rear wheels!:woot::rof

Well you could look at it this way you have more hp than some did when they bought theres new:lol3:

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
All that means is bigger gains!:thumbsup Where in NH are you, by the by?

· Premium Member
15,655 Posts
i had hoped it's the 48re, but Transgo's installation instructions say about the vin 6/C being what they are.

my truck came from cali before being shipped to mass where i bought it off a dealer. no one talks about the 235hp motor and it's features...hence why i'm asking here...

Transgo instruction cover a range of years irregardless of what was actually made in that year. The instructions for the 05 48RE are also for a V10 trans and that motor was out of production for 2 years by then. ;)

As your is an 04, its almost a given its a 48RE, Cali truck or not. AFAIK, the 47RE went out of production mid MY03. Every thing after that was a 48RE.

What you may have is the early VB and that will make a difference in how you install the kit. The instructions should tell you how to identify thye VB's.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All that means is bigger gains!:thumbsup Where in NH are you, by the by?
rottenchester. i'm always on the NETDP...i use CF when i'm getting into the more technical stuff though.

Transgo instruction cover a range of years irregardless of what was actually made in that year. The instructions for the 05 48RE are also for a V10 trans and that motor was out of production for 2 years by then. ;)

As your is an 04, its almost a given its a 48RE, Cali truck or not. AFAIK, the 47RE went out of production mid MY03. Every thing after that was a 48RE.

What you may have is the early VB and that will make a difference in how you install the kit. The instructions should tell you how to identify thye VB's.

ah sweet, i hope i have the 48re. i've got a friend running the vin at the dealership she works at. it says that the earlier valve bodies...to use the TFOD kit (which is the 47re kit). so they put in the older style valve body in the first production of the 48re? if so, could this be changed out with a 48re valve body?

stemming from this, if it's a 48re, i may do a converter and vb (or shift kit) and w/2nd gear strut with a smaller power increase before needing to get into the billet territory..:$::$:

· Premium Member
15,655 Posts
it says that the earlier valve bodies...to use the TFOD kit (which is the 47re kit). so they put in the older style valve body in the first production of the 48re? if so, could this be changed out with a 48re valve body?
Yes, the earlier VB's used the same kit as the 47's. Its actually a pretty decent setup and it is tried and true. I would just go with it and not worry about swapping VB's. You still have the bigger parts and all the updates to the main trans itself. I would go with what you have.

The later VB's and kits had to make allowances for the TV motor and its limited operation so they are a bit different in design and implementation.

You should not have a problem swappping VB's but find a tech that really understands the trans or you may fight all kinds of gremlins.

· Registered
4,129 Posts

I got a 04 California 235.It has a 48re with 3.73 and 10.5 rear end.

Well from what I seen and know,their is a guy out in California that made 1289 HP with his 03 California 235.And he told me to get the 235 because its more reliable at higher power,though I have no clue :lol3:.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a 04 California 235.It has a 48re with 3.73 and 10.5 rear end.

Well from what I seen and know,their is a guy out in California that made 1289 HP with his 03 California 235.And he told me to get the 235 because its more reliable at higher power,though I have no clue :lol3:.
yeah, the blue one? i'm trying to find his vids on youtube...

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Nope thats not it!Its a White 03 quad cab with roll cage and everything taken out except front seat!Guy that owns it is Richard Brown,owner of BROWNS DIESEL.bad a$$ truck that is tubbed since its a 2wd.Its a infamous Fummins,though he was on a Magazine for a 650 HP NOS setup.
Getting my truck done from him as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.