Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, i have an 03 HO with 160K miles on it. Have replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (2008), injectors 2 and 3 (2010) and Low Pressure fuel pump (2010). When cruising down the highway with accelerator pedal in set position (avg 67/68 mph) the engine seems to gently "surge". Not a fuel related issue as I can decelerate and accelerate and no surging. Tack does ever so slight bounce.

Could it be something about the TPS causing this. No affect on gas mileage or power, just feel the surge. Someone else had this issue?

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
10,680 Posts
I had that issue, but it was related to the Xzillaraider module I was running. I changed the tune on it and it went away. Do you have a box or anything on the truck?

Reactions: okie56

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's plane Jane, just a daily driver and weekend hauler. No codes are appearing

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine would do the same thing then after i changed the FCA it stopped.

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
i think theres a tsb for surging!

·
Registered
41 Posts
4 dealers 2 shops no one could figure it out no code turned out to be tiny holes in boost hoses not enough to set a code and couldnt see them went nuts one night took flash light to the inside looked like they had been sand blasted new hoses no more probs

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPdate...disconnected the battery cables last night for about an hour then reattached. Turned the key to "on" position then pressed the gas pedal to the floor. Turned key off then started engine. 30 mile drive to work this morning the surging did not appear. Keepin fingers crossed in OK.

Thanks to all with suggestions. Finally queried "surging" and was able to find a couple of other threads with people having this problem. Somebody suggested resetting the ECM by the method above. Gotta love this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
UPdate...disconnected the battery cables last night for about an hour then reattached. Turned the key to "on" position then pressed the gas pedal to the floor. Turned key off then started engine. 30 mile drive to work this morning the surging did not appear. Keepin fingers crossed in OK.

Thanks to all with suggestions. Finally queried "surging" and was able to find a couple of other threads with people having this problem. Somebody suggested resetting the ECM by the method above. Gotta love this forum.
Has this cured your problem completly? I ask because I have a friend with a 03 that's doing the same thing as what you oped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up doing a couple of things. First after reseting ECM was to take all the engine and chasis grounds to the engine loose then sanding them down to expose clean metal on the washers, bolts and chasis. That seemed to take care of most of it, but still had some surging.

Started researching the sulphur content of todays diesel and found that my HP fuel pump needed better lubrication. In 03 we had up to 500 ppm sulphur which acts as a lubricant but today we are limited to 15 ppm sulphur. I found lost of threads about fuel additives and finally settled on Opti-Lube out of Utah. There web site provided all the independent testing reports and i even spoke with the owners, great guys. Anyway running the Opti-lube and its been 12K miles with no surging.

Good luck.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
if there are 03's experiencing surging and the FCA avenue has been pursued to no avail, then I'd strongly suggest replacing the APPS. I did it on my 03 and what a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts