Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a cutout pic of a stock muffler? Reason I ask is I'd like to know how restrictive the stock 3.5" exhaust is. I swapped the manifolds out and put the super b on with the hx40 downpipe and spliced it into the factory exhaust for now. It was a temporary thing until I can do custom 4 inch exhaust when the donaldson muffler gets here.

I'm planning to run only a smarty for a while till this ride is payed off and dont plan to tow. The quiet exhaust is surprisingly nice...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
if im not mistaken the only part of the stock exhaust thats 3.5 is just the downpipe. well atleast thats what my stock exhaust was.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like 3.5 to the stock muffler then a 4" tailpipe

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
03/04 were 3.5" from the turbo to the muffler, then 4" out.

I'm running TNT8 on my 03... buddy of mine ran Smarty TNT stacked with a TST on his 04 w/ stock air box and stock exhaust.

I'm loving how quiet this truck is

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
I'm probably going to put the 4" elbow, downpipe, and catback from my mega cab (with the extra resonator) on it and when I do twins, I might just leave the exhaust on it!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm probably going to put the 4" elbow, downpipe, and catback from my mega cab (with the extra resonator) on it and when I do twins, I might just leave the exhaust on it!
That will be SHAWEET!

The more I get into the diesel performance scene I'm enjoying more of the song of the turbo(s) as opposed to the exhaust noise. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like the sound of an uncorked turbo diesel, but I'm getting to where I'd just rather have the thing be quiet and not attract any attention

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, my dually sounded amazing but being checked for a muffler and finding somewhere to get inspected got old. That along with people always wanting to street race... :spank:

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
I've been driving straight piped dodges for 10yrs and never had a single problem with inspection or officers harassing me, etc.

and I don't mind playing a little racey racey here and there... but the diesel performance world has evolved into something that I tend to try to distance myself from these days :(

so I like for the truck to look/sound stock... I may slack up a little, but that's my goal on this truck for now

·
Registered
352 Posts
I did a 4" (stock turbo) with a free-flow muffler and it sounds fine, not too loud but a little throatier than stock. The only time it gets even a little loud is about 75 mph and above.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's pretty common to run 4" pipe from the downpipe to the tailpipe when people straight pipe them or even to add a 4" free flow muffler
I ordered a 40" Donaldson the other day and this is the route I wanted to go. Hopefully it will stay quiet and under cover otherwise I'll have to add another muffler/resonator to the mix. Kind of wish I would have went ahead and ordered the 51 but o well

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
the 40" is a good muffler and it's easy to fit...

you should be fine with that, but if you need more, get you an FTE resonator, and you'll be good to go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts