Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a good friend of mine is looking at a 03 4 door long box ( pretty much a limo, haha) and its his first diesel. He asked me because i have a 94, but i know NOTHING about the "common rail" 5.9, nor do i even know why its called that! haha:lol3: Pro's and cons on this truck?

its got 225 KM on the truck, overall good shape, its had the lift pump replaced, injectors, and alot of other dealer maintenance. it was an old jobber truck that was maintained by the dealer, and they have all the service records to prove it. Its a 6sp stick, and its the H.O. engine ? Like i said, i know nothing about the new dodges, just the good ol 12v's :peelout

if you guys can give me a QUICK review on how these trucks are, that woudl be perfect!!!

he took it for a test drive, it had lots of power, drove nice and smooth, no noises, etc. very sound truck.

·
Banned
393 Posts
I had an 04 that i gave to my fiance, with the 6 speed, and it runs like a raped ape!! the only problems i had with it were the lift pump, and the CP3 injector pump( caused from the lift pump). Other than that, the front end goes right at 100,000 miles, so if it hasnt been replaced, have them do it as part of the deal...the U joints, the Ball joints, the hubs...the whole shibang. The truck has more power, and better fuel mileage than my 07. They are really good, and the common rail can support lots of power.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome, thanks! i will let him know. actually the front end just had an overhaul... the bill was 3 g! I had actually mentioned to him that dodge front ends were expensive, as i had gone through mine... thats when he told me that the truck had the overhaul already on the front.

·
PA VP ONE TUFF O3
2,124 Posts
they get the best fuel economy out. but you will be limitied in the hp department if you want to make big numbers i just dynoed mine and i am only making 416hp at the rear wheels but the upside is i get 25mpg out on the highway. put a glacier fuel pump on and your good to go

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"i am only making 416hp at the rear wheels" LOL ohh muffin, is that all? holy ! thats lots! hell, with that many ponies and getting 25mpg... ide be in heaven! thanks for your input CTC03 and

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
I have nothing but praise for my 03. Couldn't have asked for a better Truck. :thumbsup

Maybe some day I'll get some power out of it. :w: :lol3:

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
they get the best fuel economy out. but you will be limitied in the hp department if you want to make big numbers i just dynoed mine and i am only making 416hp at the rear wheels but the upside is i get 25mpg out on the highway. put a glacier fuel pump on and your good to go
That's pretty good!

I can only get around 21-22mpg, but that's at 70mph and with the SMARTY set to the 130hp level.:thumbsup

MikeyB

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well he bought it! thanks for the input guys, i'll have to get his non-computer onto this forum soon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
BBRam do you have enough horses to put in your car!!!!!!!Ohyeah don't forget some torque you got swingging.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ya right......me to down hill with a tail wind

1 - 11 of 11 Posts