Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys tell me what your stock shock replacement schedule has been?

I can't afford a lovely little kit right now, but I think I need to replace my shocks.

I'm running up to 125K miles on what appear to be the original shocks. When did you change yours?

There's a 5th wheel hitch in the back with the air bags shown below. Maybe you can also tell me if these air bags are stock with the HD truck, or if they were put in along with the hitch?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The bags look like an aftermarket Firestone kit.

Not, knowing exactly what you plan to do with your rig... So here goes... Remove the bags, if they are a bolt on kit, and get yourself some factory bumpstops and factory rear shocks. Don't put an aftermarket shock on unless you go with Bilstein/Fox/King/Sway-Away.

Put the bags back on when you tow or haul. If you tow or haul frequently, don't get bumpstops, leave the bags on, and run 4-5psi in them when the truck is unloaded. The bags are currently working as a bump stop, and do the exact opposite of stopping any bump!

I had my stock front shocks on for about 25,000 miles before I replaced them. They were still plenty good, (I lifted the truck). The rears lasted me 45,000 miles. A set of Ranchos lasted me about 1000 miles before I put my stockers back on in the rear.

·
Banned
275 Posts
Keep the bags regardless, never run less than 10psi in them, and buy a nice set of Bilsteins..they are $80 a piece and well worth it. 2 things to always replace on a vehicle whether you buy new or used...the POS shocks that come from the factory and the POS batteries that come from teh factory...Bilstein is a great factory repalcement shock and optimas are the best factory replacement batteries.... thats not only my 2 cents, but 98 more..thats right...that my $1.00 worth!! lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That's exactly the feedback I was looking for.

They're not an easy removal. It appears the bottom bracket for the airbag continues left and slips under the stock springs, along with another 'spacer'.

I think I am running them a little high now, but I'll check later and make sure they're sitting around 5-10.

I do plan on putting something like the Lorenz system. But for now, I just need something decent for another 25-30,000 miles. But I don't want to put some sh***y shock in either.

I've heard the Bilstein's are a really good factory replacement. I assume that there are direct replacements available? And not the 5100 series that Lorenz sells for their 2" levelling kit? Right, I don't want those.

And yeah, I replaced the batteries right away. Went with the best NAPA battery we could find for the truck. Haven't had any issues with 'em yet! But maybe the AGM-type batteries will be the next replacement. I have a 160 mile crappy gravel road between me and the nearest town. Don't want any batteries ever breaking loose and leaking on me!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody know where to get these Non-lifted Bilstein Shocks in Manitoba? Or anywhere that'll ship at a decent cost in Canada?

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,448 Posts
i have air bag brand bags on my rear axle and run 8 psi when unloaded.
truck currently has sky jacker shocks on all four corners, seem to ride fairly nice.
it IS a stiff ride, but it IS a 3/4 ton long bed so...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts