Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I'm looking around and was want to know what year is the holy grail of engines and transmissions? Thanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
03-early 04 by far best MPG and no emissions

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I always say its tough to pick a year thats best. I have an early 04 and like it fine, but I think the newer trucks have a little bit nicer interior. I probably take an 07 with a stick if it were up to me, but my wife hates a stick shift.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
So does mine brother that's why I bought it lol she won't drive this one like the last( pretended it was hers a bit much lol)

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
06s are efi live compatible and beta testing has started for the 03-05 trucks shouldn't be long before all years are available

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
07 6spd 4x4 QCSB, but good luck finding one. they only made the 5.9 for half that model year.

after that any 03-07 6spd 4x4 is a good find

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All 5.9s came with the 48re right till the change to 6.7s that came with the 68rfe or could u get the 68rfe with the 5.9??

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
No 6 speed autos with the 5.9. Different ECM computers as well with the 6.7L.
I wish the aftermarket could come up with one of those super dual clutch autos like the VW TDI's have that would stand up behind a modified 5.9L.
Oops, I'm dreaming again. :doh:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So there's no stand alone for the 68rfe?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i like the 03 early 04's most for the price. they are fairly easy to make power and keep MPG pretty good, I was averaging 14-15 MPG street and 18-19 highway with whats in my sig.
there are some 2003's that have the 47re auto trans and the other autos are the 48re. but whether its auto or manual if your shooting to make big power and tow big you will need to spend $$ on the trans sooner or later.

·
Registered
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S (700hp), 2016 RAM Mega Cab SAP Laramie 4x4, & 2005 Honda S2000
2,526 Posts
The 06-07 5.9's get my vote...For several reason's.

EFI ready
The head's are better flowing and have better valve / valve seat material (Inconel)...
Few other updates.

The earlier 5.9 (03-05) had more problems with droping valve seats..

I'd have to say buying an 07 5.9 would be the best one to go with.... 06 did have some electrical issues I've read about.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard of guys using the cp3 off the 6.7s is this true?

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
I've heard of guys using the cp3 off the 6.7s is this true?

cp3 would have nothing to do with an 03/05 truck being able to be tuned with EFI. Some guys have been using the computers off 06 trucks to tune 03/05's but you lose all your dash items (fuel gauge, tach, speedo, etc). Most that do that are using it on pulling trucks.

·
Robert Ivey
2,168 Posts
07 5.9 gets my vote. Loved mine.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Got any proof of this?? I can't imagine beta has started and Cindy not mention it here or CompD. I call BS.
"Earlier today I posted on Comp D that EFILive plans on developing support for the 2003-5 Cummins 5.9L ECM next, however we need to do some more pre-work to confirm that this is the path we will take.

Further updates will be made as we progress through our pre-work.

Thanks for your support and for pushing us to go this path first.

Cheers
Cindy " from efi live forum,

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...rts-discussion/495099-efilive-03-05-guys.html on the cummins forum,

Jason and Wicked Cummins measure their peckers ON THE MOUNTAIN!!! - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together on Comp D,

I emailed scott and Ill post up his response on the matter when I get an email back bud.

And one more for good measure Cindy DID post on the forum about it, it was in response to a thread question and heres the link
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/513490-efi-live.html

I apoloize about stating beta testing has started, when I got my newsletter from cummins-tuner they were looking for beta testers, that was the last I had heard. It may have started however it may have not. But more over the 03-05 is next in line to be supported by efi live not the new 6.7's

1 - 20 of 42 Posts