Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on other discussion about this but I can’t find a specific answer. I found a good deal on a set of 2003-2004 injectors for a Cummins and I was curious if they could be ran in my 2004.5 or would it spray outside the piston bowls? I have also read that the bodies are the same and if that’s the case can I just switch 04.5 nozzles onto them?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes you can use 03-04 in an 04.5 and up 5.9. You cant go the other way though. Key is to keep your timing and duration somewhat conservative.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you can use 03-04 in an 04.5 and up 5.9. You cant go the other way though. Key is to keep your timing and duration somewhat conservative.

That’s what I’ve read, but I’ve seen a few people say it smoked or knocked really bad. I just wanted to make sure

·
Registered
336 Posts
That’s what I’ve read, but I’ve seen a few people say it smoked or knocked really bad. I just wanted to make sure
Thats where good tuning goes into play. I would never them with a box programmer. I just wrapped up putting s&s early spray (100hp) injectors in my brothers truck because I had a set on the shelf. Runs flawlessly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ran them in my 04.5 using a smarty s06, they were a little more smoky than I like. Eventually I ended up breaking rings on #1 & #6 and threw in 03 pistons during the rebuild to go with the injectors. I then went with an HP Tuner and had FirePunk do the tuning. So now my truck is a Frankenstein 04.5 truck with 03 pistons and injectors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just ordered the .05 03-04 injectors for my 04.5. I had been reading the same thing on here so I emailed Marty from BBI and he suggested running the early injectors. Here is his reply.

Hello Matt,
I personally prefer running the wider spray angle with your MY4.5 pistons (MY03 injectors)
The reason is that they run a little cleaner than the My4.5 spray angle injectors.
If you have any further questions... please let me know.
Thank you
Martin
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,
Martin Schöppl

I have heard that they are cleaner on a single injection tune. Hopefully I get them in this next week and can report back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pleas
I just ordered the .05 03-04 injectors for my 04.5. I had been reading the same thing on here so I emailed Marty from BBI and he suggested running the early injectors. Here is his reply.

Hello Matt,
I personally prefer running the wider spray angle with your MY4.5 pistons (MY03 injectors)
The reason is that they run a little cleaner than the My4.5 spray angle injectors.
If you have any further questions... please let me know.
Thank you
Martin
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,
Martin Schöppl

I have heard that they are cleaner on a single injection tune. Hopefully I get them in this next week and can report back.
please do, very curious about the results

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had bought 2 used injectors online for my 04.5 3500 and dound out they were 03-04 ones.my mechanic at hamilton diesel said it would be fine just wouldnt want to run them for a long period of time due to washing out cylinders? i ran em for a yr with any problems at all if this helps

·
Registered
109 Posts
i had bought 2 used injectors online for my 04.5 3500 and dound out they were 03-04 ones.my mechanic at hamilton diesel said it would be fine just wouldnt want to run them for a long period of time due to washing out cylinders? i ran em for a yr with any problems at all if this helps
Do you know anyone that is running the BBi 0.5 injectors on a stock tune. Was wondering if they’re getting a haze and what kind of fuel mileage gains.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also run the 143 injectors in my 05, don't be afraid they run clean. Even on stock tuning and box smarty tunes it ran fine. But with custom tuning it's great. I wont go back to the stock spray pattern. I'm only running bms 50s but will be stepping up to bbi stage 2s or exergy 100% once I get my dual cp3s installed.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I’ve been running the 100hp Bosch Motorsport 143° injectors in my 2006 with efi live tuning for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is good to hear!! I am glad guys are running the 143 pattern with no issues. I decided to throw head studs in while I change the injectors so it is taking a few more days than I planned. If one of the OG Bosch injector guys recommends them that is good enough for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you know anyone that is running the BBi 0.5 injectors on a stock tune. Was wondering if they’re getting a haze and what kind
Do you know anyone that is running the BBi 0.5 injectors on a stock tune. Was wondering if they’re getting a haze and what kind of fuel mileage gains.
no sir sure dont,sorry

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,746 Posts
Good morning, i am sorry i have not chimed in sooner as i have been very blessed with lots of business so my forum time has somewhat dwindled.

Like stated you are perfectly fine to run the 03-04 injectors in the newer 5.9 trucks but can not go the other way. With Martin's permission here is a great picture of why/how it works better.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Good morning, i am sorry i have not chimed in sooner as i have been very blessed with lots of business so my forum time has somewhat dwindled.

Like stated you are perfectly fine to run the 03-04 injectors in the newer 5.9 trucks but can not go the other way. With Martin's permission here is a great picture of why/how it works better.

View attachment 909266
I don't get how this shows the 03 injector performs better on an 04.5. Why is it better to shoot further outside? Does this create a cleaner burn? To me, it seems more efficient to shoot to the deeper portion of the bowl. Just trying to understand.

·
Registered
123 Posts
More holes on the nozzles means better atomization which means better efficiency. Which I can say first hand works flawlessly. Of course my only comparison is old 124 injectors vs my new 143s. I noticed my tuner seems to use more pressure with these injectors I assume to make up for a bit less timing. Either way my truck is very responsive and runs cool.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts