Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on other discussion about this but I can’t find a specific answer. I found a good deal on a set of 2003-2004 injectors for a Cummins and I was curious if they could be ran in my 2004.5 or would it spray outside the piston bowls? I have also read that the bodies are the same and if that’s the case can I just switch 04.5 nozzles onto them?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes you can use 03-04 in an 04.5 and up 5.9. You cant go the other way though. Key is to keep your timing and duration somewhat conservative.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you can use 03-04 in an 04.5 and up 5.9. You cant go the other way though. Key is to keep your timing and duration somewhat conservative.

That’s what I’ve read, but I’ve seen a few people say it smoked or knocked really bad. I just wanted to make sure

·
Registered
330 Posts
That’s what I’ve read, but I’ve seen a few people say it smoked or knocked really bad. I just wanted to make sure
Thats where good tuning goes into play. I would never them with a box programmer. I just wrapped up putting s&s early spray (100hp) injectors in my brothers truck because I had a set on the shelf. Runs flawlessly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ran them in my 04.5 using a smarty s06, they were a little more smoky than I like. Eventually I ended up breaking rings on #1 & #6 and threw in 03 pistons during the rebuild to go with the injectors. I then went with an HP Tuner and had FirePunk do the tuning. So now my truck is a Frankenstein 04.5 truck with 03 pistons and injectors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered the .05 03-04 injectors for my 04.5. I had been reading the same thing on here so I emailed Marty from BBI and he suggested running the early injectors. Here is his reply.

Hello Matt,
I personally prefer running the wider spray angle with your MY4.5 pistons (MY03 injectors)
The reason is that they run a little cleaner than the My4.5 spray angle injectors.
If you have any further questions... please let me know.
Thank you
Martin
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,
Martin Schöppl

I have heard that they are cleaner on a single injection tune. Hopefully I get them in this next week and can report back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pleas
I just ordered the .05 03-04 injectors for my 04.5. I had been reading the same thing on here so I emailed Marty from BBI and he suggested running the early injectors. Here is his reply.

Hello Matt,
I personally prefer running the wider spray angle with your MY4.5 pistons (MY03 injectors)
The reason is that they run a little cleaner than the My4.5 spray angle injectors.
If you have any further questions... please let me know.
Thank you
Martin
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,
Martin Schöppl

I have heard that they are cleaner on a single injection tune. Hopefully I get them in this next week and can report back.
please do, very curious about the results

·
Registered
9 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts