Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking around ebay for a good cheap turbo to fit my 02, first off what kind do i have stock and second off what ones work on a 02. Not changing for $hits and grins either changing because this one has alot of play in it and theres some oil also so even though still got boost wont be long before it goes.... :banghead:

I LOVE DODGE CUMMINS ALL I DRIVE, BUT A LITTLE ADVICE TO ANYONE THAT OWNS ONE. WHEN THINGS START GOING WRONG WITH THEM GET READY TO SPEND SOME $$$$$ TO FIX THEM. :hehe:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
the stock turbo for an auto is a hy-35, the stock one for a manual is an hx-35. Just a bit of advice if you change from the hx-35, you will more than likely need a new downpipe, it would be an hx-40 downpipe and will run around 190 new. What do you do with the truck? That will help you decide what to get, to start. Most turbos will fit, just have to do some research on it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
if your just lookin for something that wont cost an arm and a leg and just use it as a dd and not a racer go for an hx35. then you can j hook it and build pretty good boost (from what people have told me) and not have alot of money in it.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Okay, let's get some of this info straight.

The stock turbo for the '02 auto is the HY35. It has a small exhaust housing compared to the stick shift and earlier trucks.

You can replace your turbo with another HY35 or any of the HX35s. It is a bolt up. No downpipe or anything else required other than new gaskets for the exhaust flange and the drain tube. YOU NEED THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY INCLUDING THE TURBINE HOUSING!

The standard HX35 has a 12cm wastegated housing. This will spool slightly slower, but will give you a little room to grow if you add a small amount of fuel. Keep in mind, this is not a big aftermarket turbo for heavy fueling. It's a stock charger. You can use either type with the housing mounted wastegate or the compressor mounted gate. However, if you ever plan to use it in a towing twins set, get the housing mounted gate. It can be clocked if needed.

The 'J' hook is only ised on the HY35 when a boost fooling box is used to raise boost. There is no advantage running more than stock boost at stock fueling levels. The HX35 turbos can just use a boost elbow.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts