Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used the John Deere 'Hyguard' in their autos ? my buddy runs it in his turbo'd c4 mustang and quite a few others use it in theirs as well. just curious as to whom uses it. i am putting in a new converter and valve body and this would be an optimal time to switch.

Dave

G

·
HyGuard is hydraulic fluid. It'll operate the trans fine. What it doesn't have is the friction modifiers (lets the clutches grab while lubricating the trans), the detergents (sweeps the dirt to the filter by keeping it in suspension in the fluid), and the resistance to heat (important in the TC where fluid shear creates heat) that ATF has.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i run low viscosity hygard and havent had any problems yet but then again everyone drives diffrent

·
Registered
8 Posts
exhaust

looking for some 4inch and a 3 to 4 adapter so i can finish need about 24 feet have two trucks im working on does any buddy know of donaldson filteration

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
you need to start new posts to ask questions, not reply random things in someone elses thread.

·
Cummins Enthusiast
669 Posts
JD Hyguard likely has many of the additives that ATF has, since it's technically hydrostatic trans fluid.

What I'm not understanding is the point of using it.

Hyguard is fairly expensive and there are much better ATF's like Amsoil, Redline, etc, if someone is wanting something better.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was more or less wondering if people here have tried it in their trans. i think ill be a ginnie pig and try it out.

and Max340 read this:

Oil and Lubricants : Hydraulic Oil

Friction modifiers are added to lubricants to reduce the surface friction of the lubricated parts. Typically these are polar chemical compounds having high affinity for metal surfaces and possessing long alkyl chains.

Glycerol mono-oleate is a common example of a friction modifier.

This additive is needed in limited slip differentials.
We have been using Castrol UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) in our Outlaw 10.5 car for the last 2 years. We maix about 2 quarts of Red Line synthetic to tint it. This stuff will take all the heat you can throw at it. We had a guy hang me on the trans break for 12sec (so says the data logger) and the trans did not fail. Back in the day when we ran reg fluid the trans would have been toast. In case it matters the car is 3200lbs and has been [email protected]"

I have also read elsewhere here of others using mobil 5w20 syn. oil with very good results. Form what I've read so far is the main reason is that atf's have friction modifiers that allow for softer shifting. I have also been reading up on using John Deere HyGaurd oil part number ar69444 (5gal bucket) with awsome results and is less expensive that Moble1.
I'm doing a rebuild now and plan on using the John Deere HyGaurd.
I will try and find a link to the John Deere info.

G

·
JD Hyguard likely has many of the additives that ATF has, since it's technically hydrostatic trans fluid.

What I'm not understanding is the point of using it.

Hyguard is fairly expensive and there are much better ATF's like Amsoil, Redline, etc, if someone is wanting something better.
It is hydrostatic trans fluid. But a hydrostatic transmission depends on fluid flow through a pump which powers a motor, unlike the automotive trans, which uses wet clutches to transfer power.

I too, do not understand why HyGuard would be considered for an AT, unless a cheap source is available.

G

·
i was more or less wondering if people here have tried it in their trans. i think ill be a ginnie pig and try it out.

and Max340 read this:

Oil and Lubricants : Hydraulic Oil
I'm not saying it cannot be used, nor am I saying the trans will fail. However, ATF, particularly the ATF+4 used in the Dodge trucks, is designed to take the heat and fluid shear of a torque converter. Fluid in an HST won't see the same use.

Everyone is entitled to do as they please, but given the special nature of ATF+4, and that its strongly recommended for the Ram transmission, HyGuard and UTF are best used in tractors and HST's.

·
Cummins Enthusiast
669 Posts
So someone bought me a 24 pack of Miller, but I hate Miller.... can I use it in my transmission? I know that ATF is cheap, plentifull, and the obvious choice to use in an automatic transmission, but I thought I'd try some beer, for no reason at all.....

:butt:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
perhaps you should, then let us know how it turns out. hey some idiot decided to put 2 stroke gasoline oil additive into his diesel, WOW what a horrible idea :clapmean:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts