Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought an 01 ext cab short box. secondly to my 98. And had a remote start and keyless entry put in it. That was back in feb. I got up this morning to start my truck and nothing. So i walked outside to start it wtih the key. and nothing. Everything turns on. radio lights. And when i turn the key it does NOTHING. not even a click for the starter.. NOt sure if there is a wiring problem or what? anybody had any problems like this before?! please help!

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
The contacts failing in the starters is a very common problem and it will behave like you describe. With the addition of the remote starter though, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Can you bypass the remote starter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i tried to bypass it but. it still wont start. whats the contact things? and where they located it?

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
The contacts are inside the starter. Sometimes, you can wrap the starter with a hammer and it will unstick them. I'd get them replaced if that does fix it..

dodge diesel starter

There's a whole bunch of other things that can cause your symptom too, this is just a common cause.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill try that and see what it does..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and no. no checkengine light or no codes. checked that right away this morning

·
Registered
992 Posts
The contacts are inside the starter. Sometimes, you can wrap the starter with a hammer and it will unstick them. I'd get them replaced if that does fix it..

dodge diesel starter

There's a whole bunch of other things that can cause your symptom too, this is just a common cause.

This works. Few good hits not enough to scar it up though. Right on the solenoid (small cylinder). Also check for the starter sol fuse. Mine was blowing when the contacts went. I had trouble finding contacts so i ended up with a $175 reman starter. But if you can find them $10 for oems, $35 for "upgraded" ones. Just open the back plate on the solenoid and remove the plunger, undo the bolts, pop out the old ones, and then reverse of removal from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another option: Check the wiring harness coming from the key for a relay interrupting the starter wire. Some of the alarms/remote starts have that "feature" to prevent theft. If present it is usually an obvious looking hack in an otherwise good harness. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts