Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I started my truck at 5:30am to go to work. I had to park it outside because we had some family over that had to park in the garage since I would be the first leaving and it got down to 45 degrees last night (california). It started up just fine, but after backing down the driveway about 20feet, it started to rev itself almost like it was trying to keep going, and by the time I was in the street, the truck completely died and would not start. I'm hoping someone here has had this problem before and might be able to help. I have a 1/2 tank of gas, and my driveway is on a 20 degree slant uphill. Any help would be great

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a 1/2 tank of gas???

That could be your problem.

JK.. I'm just throwing some humor.. I have no idea.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
!/2 Tank of Fuel (not Gas you don't use the weak a$$ stuff no more) should be enough on a 20 degree slope to reach the fuel pickup. Do you have a Fuel Pressure gauge and do you have pressure?
If you have pressure do you have fuel at the injectors?
You have an 01 you can check for codes with the key trick, cycle the key from Off to ON (don't bump starter) three times and leave it on the last time. You will either see P codes displayed in the Odometer or a pDone if no codes stored.
If you have codes please post them.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I have a 1/2 tank of gas???

That could be your problem.

JK.. I'm just throwing some humor.. I have no idea.
He is a newbe it took all of us a bit of time to get the terminology correct.

Throttle Not Gas.

Fuel or Diesel Not Gas

You don't stomp on the Gas you Floor the Throttle!

I still slip once in a while, and my wife picks on me every time!!
:rof

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the humor guys lol. I'll have to check codes when I get home, didnt want to be late to work so I just took the jeep

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not throwing any codes, but I dont hear my lift pump when I engage the ignition. I'm assuming its a relay because I dont know if it's common for a lift pump to go out suddenly or not. Any theories?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Common for a lift pump to go out? You Betcha! To get a better idea, just bump the starter without starting the truck and listen, the pump should run for 20 seconds or so. If the lift pump does run, loosen one of the plugs on top of the fuel filter housing and bump the starter again. See if you get fuel (or bubbles/air) coming out of the plug. If you remove the plug all of the way be prepared for a mess; a running pump will shoot a LOT of diesel out before the 20 seconds passes.

If the pump does not run, chances are that you are in need of a new lift pump. There are a lot of discussions of lift pumps on the forum..the search function is your friend. There is more information on pump choices than you really want to know. :)

Reactions: qracker4lyfe

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another note; it is possible for the lift pump to run and not pump fuel. The stock pump has a plastic rotor on the steel motor shaft. The rotor can start to slip on the shaft and will stop pumping. Mine would just pump intermittently before I replaced it with a Carter 4601HP relocated back by the fuel tank. The 4601HP will bolt to the stock bracket, but I am not sure that the fuel lines will hook up..I didn't even try. It is far better to relocate the pump to where it can push fuel instead of trying to pull it.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm figuring I'm just gunna replace the whole system with an airdog since it seems like upgrading the lift pump would cost just as much. Plus the stock fuel pump sucks from what I hear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts