Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, All of the information in the sig line is accurate to date. With no surprise to myself or any other person reading this, my auto is slipping in a bad way. :doh: My question to all is, what part is most likely slipping: Clutches or torque converter? If it is a torque converter, can I buy some time by getting it serviced and getting the line presure bumped up a bit? Will a new torque converter and a valve body cure my problem? Or do I need a fully built transmission for a truck that will never see more than 500hp? :banghead: Any info would be helpful! thanks in advance.:S:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Depends how it's slipping, how often, etc.

IMO I would quit driving it, get a good TC and VB, and see what happens.

You will probably need them anyways, so might as well.

If it is slipping in the forward, particularly off the line, it's PROBABLY clutch packs.

If it is making a horrible grumbling sound and trans temps are sky rocketing (higher speeds 50 and up) then the converter clutch is PROBABLY slipping.

If it free revs during kick down the bands are PROBABLY shot, or need adjustment.

My bands are at the end of adjustment, had the original trans fluid and everything else at 150k. Random slips, etc. Converter and VB fixed all. Expect to goto 250k now on the factory trans if i don't abuse it too badly.

IMO 47re trans does not get enough credit.

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remembered a crucial bit of information today when I was at work. On the stock and economy settings, it doesn't slip at all. It is only slipping when I turn it up on three and above. Kind of a shaking, slipping feeling. I am now leaving it set on economy to try to preserve what I have left. this is my one and only daily driver.

·
Registered
126 Posts
when my tc went, it would go fine in 1st gear, but it really hated shifting out of first and if and when it did, it would drop right back into first at any sign of strain. i thought it was a bad tc, which it was, then when it was rebuilt, the clutches and bands were shot. so billet tc, vb upgrade, hd clutches and bands, and shes shiftin real nice right now

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You could drop the pan and take a look at your fluid, look for excess particles, is your fluid burnt, or nice red with no smell. I change my fluid with a pan drop twice a year, and once a year, i let it pump out through a cooler line in neutral into a five gallon fuel jug, which gets out about 12 quarts, that way the TC is getting new fluid too, years of trouble free service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts