Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to get my 2001 Dodge detailed during school. I come to pick it up and head home; I fire it up, and start to idle off. I may have gotten 20ft before the truck shutters once and stalls in its tracks. I get the truck home and notice the in tank replacement is not cycling. I took some pictures (I hope they load on this post) of the harness going to the top of the fuel tank had (1/2 tank of Shell Diesel) and proof of factory relocation of lift pump. I don't know how long ago the relocation was performed as I am 3rd owner. I have no FP gauge so I have no idea whats going on there. What fuzes are associated with lift pump if there are any and what do y'all recommend I do from here? New lift pump?

Truck is a 2001 Dodge 3500
NV5600
4X2
145,000 miles
It is a pristine truck; Very clean aside from gear housing leak and ripped drivers seat. :party018:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I had an intank lift pump go out within 6 months of being installed be the dealer. Replaced it with a FASS and no problems for the last 100k+ miles. Have you checked for 12v power at the pump or relay in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about 12v testing the plug at the top of the tank with a voltage tester? I have not done that yet. And as for the fuel relay in the fuze box, I replaced that with a spare and no change occurred. How difficult was your FASS install? I know quite a bit about these trucks but as far as installing a FASS I'm kind of timid diving into stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The fuel pump was originally on the block. On my truck the intank pump retrofit, a relay was installed on the firewall. There should be a wired connection behind the fuel canister that runs to the relay. Follow the wires. I would check there first. My FASS install was the first thing I did on my truck. Just do some research via Google and you should be GTG.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The relay for the fuel pump should be screwed to the firewall/cowl area up and to the right of the brake master cylinder. The relay you were referring to in the fuse box is for the fuel heater. PCM controls all power to the fuel pump relay (with retrofitted pump).

Did you have the engine cleaned? I'd make sure the extra wiring going to the battery to the "new" relay is clean and tight. Then check the plug that would have originally gone to the lift pump on the block, that now goes to the fuel pump relay, is tight and connected.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I took a look at the relay both of you pointed me to. After jangling with the relay the pump came back to life. I let the truck idle for a little bit and then turned it off too go grab a beer. When I finished the beer I jumped in the truck and once again the pump did not cycle. I found another plug further down the wires coming from the relay and wiggled those around as well as the relay plug once more. The pump came to life again after that. Im no electrician but this sounds like a connection in the plugs coming from or going to the relay. What do y'all think? (And I did not have the engine detailed in fear of a problem similar to this, looks like it wouldn't have mattered anyhow)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would check the connections and make sure the are tight and locked into place. Make sure none of the wires came loose from the plastic connections. Then used some dielectric grease on the connectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.