Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I had to. I'm working on a 2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4 cummins vin 6. No real modifications that I can see except for a boost gauge on the a pillar. The vehicle is experiencing an intermittent dead pedal. There has been no consistency as to when the pedal goes dead, sometimes right away, sometimes after an hour of driving. it goes dead for about 5 seconds, you take your foot off the pedal, and press back down, and you have acceleration again. I scanned codes and pulled a p0121, and p0126. I cleared the codes and test drove again until the codes came back, this time only the p0121. I checked the wiring harness for pinched wires, but found none. tested continuity from the sensor pigtail to the ecm harness connector, and had good continuity on all leads. I then tested continuity on the apps supply wire between the pcm and ecm, which also tested good. I then reconnected the ecm harness connector and tested continuity from the apps supply on the pcm side to the sensor pigtail, and came up with around 60k ohms, which I'm pretty sure that's because the circuit is now running through the ecm. I have also replaced the apps for grins, but this changed nothing. Basically I feel I have narrowed it down to either the ecm, or pcm. Does anybody know of a service bulletin about this problem, or common fix, or even a way to test the actual ecm or pcm?

·
Registered
29 Posts
subscribing I have the same thing going on on my 98.5. Changed the apps like you did with no change, it still comes and goes. Driving me nuts. Fuel pressure at 15psi idle 12-13wot. I cleaned my MAP sensor and seems like the only thing I can get some change out of it, went ahead and ordered a new one should be here in a couple days.

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a throttle position sensor also known as apps if your still pulling a P0121 code, here's a link from mopar1973man hope this helps Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - APPS Sensor Error Codes
thanks for the article, I already have replaced the tps/apps with a new part. this did not change the outcome of the problem. I did notice the final step if everything else checked out ok was replacing the ecm. I would just like to make sure it's the ecm, and not the supply from the pcm that is bad.

·
On call 24/7
12,340 Posts
Where did you get your apps from? 0121 is an apps code and the same one I got when I was having the exact problem you are having but a new apps from Timbo fixed my problem. Timbo APPS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the new apps from autozone. I'm going to try the recalibration procedure, but I'm not sure it's going to do much of anything unless there is a known problem of the ecm losing the apps calibration data.

·
On call 24/7
12,340 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
So did the auto zone sensor fix your problem ? I think mine is starting to do the same thing

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having a dead pedal on my 99 just changed the vp44 and now have a issue my old pump died never had a dead pedal be for apps is good and did the reset and still no change but since I put the the new pump on its throwing po216 injector timing any idea what to look at

·
Registered
278 Posts
Racer, 216 is a vp44 death code , possible new vp is bad, check out moparmans website listed above for his test procedures on the 216 code... I'd check wiring plug connection to the vp , check that the pump timing is correct and was not installed incorrectly and like said before check mopars site for the details on the 216 code

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got the new apps from autozone. I'm going to try the recalibration procedure, but I'm not sure it's going to do much of anything unless there is a known problem of the ecm losing the apps calibration data.
I know this is an old thread and a long shot.... but did you ever figure this out? Going through the same thing.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
What is the apps pin/wire #3 output voltage at Idle? How did you adjust it, by rotating it or with the throttle screw. It needs to be between .45v and .519v. Not .3..v something. had the same issue with mine a few months ago. Running about .48v now and all is fine. If it does not hold voltage by rotating adjustment , use the throttle screw.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What is the apps pin/wire #3 output voltage at Idle? How did you adjust it, by rotating it or with the throttle screw. It needs to be between .45v and .519v. Not .3..v something. had the same issue with mine a few months ago. Running about .48v now and all is fine. If it does not hold voltage by rotating adjustment , use the throttle screw.
My problem is INTERMITTENT. If there was a calibration issue, I think it would not work AT ALL or be showing numbers off by a certain factor. I have constant, smooth voltage on signal wire from APPS to ECM (probed as close as possible to ECM). The APPS is working and sending a signal, but the ECM only showing APPS % INTERMITTENTLY. I see all these dead pedal threads, but I seem to be the only one who has hooked up a scanner and watched my APPS % in the data display. It stays on 0 and spikes intermittently and the truck comes to life along with it. I've done a new APPS that was pre-calibrated and had no change either. It's gotta be a loose connection in the ECM or something.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
OK.

I am out of here, good luck with then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts