Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 Cummings. With 150hp injectors, BD Rad, quadzilla adrenalin, new airdog lift pump, new hot rod vp44 from thourghbred diesel...

To start with before the stock vp44 failed this truck ran flawlessly absolutely no issues what so ever.

So I replaced the Injection pump with a hot rod Vp 44 cleared all the codes and the truck ran just like it did with the bad vp44? So we thought the possibility existed that we may have had the key in wrong so we pulled the pump again and the pump was installed correctly. So at idle not in gear you Rev the truck up.and it would smoke very bad but when in gear driving it wasn't missing. ? So we sent the pump back to thourghbred diesel and they said their was a problem somewhere in the electronics and replaced them. And shipped it right back to me. So we install the new pump and the truck definitely runs better this time. But I I'm still having problems. #1 still cant get rid of p1690 and I have 3 different cam sensors ive tried to no avail. #2. It doesnt sound right. Ive been told it sounds like a timing issue. #3. When its cold it almost sounds normal. But not quite. When.it warms up it sounds like its not timed right the truck does idle at 1100 rpm once it warms up and definitely doesn't sound right. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
What lift pump are you running, is it still wired up throught the factory harness? I have. Priced that it will throw that code if the ECM does not detect a load on that circuit. Also the HOt Rod pumps do tend to idle rough(not all pumps are the same).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pump is from thourghbred diesel suppose to be their brand. I am also running a bd stealth cover, and when its cold it idles kinda rough and I expected that. Its when it warms up. It idles up.to 1100 and stays their. Now when.you.put it in gear it starts to.surge quite a bit. But not quite enough to stall or override the brake. But it surges pretty good. .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do believe it is still wired with the factory harness

·
Registered
132 Posts
The hotrod already has added timing, do you have the timing on the quad set high?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just having trouble thinking these NEW PROBLEMS ARE NO LT PUMP REALTED, Again this truck was flawless on the old vp44 before it failed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi I have tried custom tuning the timing to zero in the quad and didn't seem to make any difference. I.also took the quad completely out of the system and it made no.difference still have all the same symptoms.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only code I keep getting is P1690. No other codes

·
Rescue Tower
10,808 Posts
How did the stock VP-44 fail? How do you know it failed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would smoke and miss like crazy till it really warmed up. Classic dead pedal. threw code P0216 and P1690. And one other code that indicated an injection pump problem. Cant remember the last code.

Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok DeiselPOWDERPUFF thanks for your input you've been very helpful.
Brian

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yes...there is no G in CUMMINS :stirpot:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks to all who corrected my spelling error i have since removed all of my mods on my.truck now that i.can spell CUMMINS i am installing my mods Would like to.so.thank the CUMMINS GODS FOR GIVING ME A 2ND CHANGE ok now is their anyone that and idea what's going on here? were pretty sure the code p1690 is causing the problem just not.sure how to.address it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
well, since it started out being a CUMMINGS, i'd say run it off a cliff and put in an insurance claim on it, cuz you got a knock off brand of the REAL DEAL! (just giving you a hard time)

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The timing on these trucks is dynamic, and changes with throttle input. If the only change has been the pump, I'd lean towards a pump related issue. Those HotRod pumps are hit or miss at best, and known for a strange idle. Make sure you don't have any fuel leaks, and that your supply is plenty. 10psi at least.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
That is a companion code. How are you taking the codes off of your cummings? If you are using the key method on your cummings, then you have to wait until you see the word 'done' twice...at least, that's how my cummins works

1 - 20 of 22 Posts