Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend with the truck in the subject line. He's asking me what he can do to boost mpg. My question is, is the 13MPG normal for that truck, and if not, what can be done to change it?

If it is normal, what sort of mods have proven to increase the MPG?

·
Registered
370 Posts
my 98.5 4x4 1t dually was giving 17 to 20 hwy mpg until it started the dead pedal thing and now shows a p0216 trouble code. it still gets 14 or so. does your buddys truck show any dtc's?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Is that 13 mpg Hwy or city or average? I have an 01 2500 with the 4.10s that I average mostly city in 14 maybe 15 depending on which route I take to work. so I presume that should be normal with that gear ratio.

·
Registered
107 Posts
could also check thermostat if it is cool it wont get hot enough for a efficient burn

·
Registered
28 Posts
mine got 15-16 calculated at fill-up with a mix of 50/50 highway-city. added xzt+ and exhaust and haven't been able to calculate yet; the fuel gauge is moving noticeably slower and it looks like i may get around 20 this tank judging by the odometer and fuel level. of course i drive it like a grandma so im sure that helps.

Makes me wonder what i'll get if i was stock height with stock tires

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my 98.5 4x4 1t dually was giving 17 to 20 hwy mpg until it started the dead pedal thing and now shows a p0216 trouble code. it still gets 14 or so. does your buddys truck show any dtc's?
I don't think he has any DTC's, at least he hasn't mentioned them if he has any.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine gets over 15 if i drive it easy. Usualy gets around 14.5 hand calculated

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, I'll pass this info along. I know he doesn't drive too fast with it, and I believe the mpg he is reporting is pretty much a "no matter what" type of thing.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
try an exhaust and CAI

anywhere from 1-2 mpg boosts

·
Registered
75 Posts
keeping the rpm's under 2000 helps a lot. i have 33's whats in my sig and a 3.54 rear and i got 15 on highway, but that was with a killer cross wind and the tranny slipping to about 2150-2200 runnig 70, so that didnt help either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
on my 99 65mph=22mpg 70mph=15mpg. Theres a huge difference between the two. Try finding a sweet spot on the accelerator for best mpgs. My truck was getting a consistent 13mpg when the speed sensor was intermittent. It threw an abs and brake code. Once I fixed it it the truck shifted better getting better mpg. Could be the sensor or the drivers foot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts