Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been driving my truck for a week with no boost and can hardly hit 60mph. The truck boosts 0 psi as seen via snap on scanner and the edge juice. The juice was just installed after the problem had occurred so I assume the problem is not juice related.

I first removed and cleaned the wastegate that was siezed at the gate within the turbo. Still no boost once the turbo was reinstalled

No intercooler pipes are leaking. The truck was throwing a boost level exceeded code before the wg was replaced but no longer throws any boost codes.

Today the truck threw a new code suggesting a faulty crank position sensor. The sensor tested out fine via scantron diagnostics. After removing the sensor the sensor seemed physically intact.

Im at a loss. Could the computer be to blame?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ive been driving my truck for a week with no boost and can hardly hit 60mph. The truck boosts 0 psi as seen via snap on scanner and the edge juice. The juice was just installed after the problem had occurred so I assume the problem is not juice related.

I first removed and cleaned the wastegate that was siezed at the gate within the turbo. Still no boost once the turbo was reinstalled

No intercooler pipes are leaking. The truck was throwing a boost level exceeded code before the wg was replaced but no longer throws any boost codes.

Today the truck threw a new code suggesting a faulty crank position sensor. The sensor tested out fine via scantron diagnostics. After removing the sensor the sensor seemed physically intact.

What I would do is check boost line and fittings,May be loose or hole in one.Try driving it with edge disconnected and see how it runs.If not take off edge and see if you can borrow a Smarty from someone to test boost levels and operation of truck and you can pull codes with the Smarty too.If if the truck runs better with Smarty get rid of Edge and buy Smarty.Its the Best.Aloha Ron

·
Registered
168 Posts

Fill out your info so we know what year of truck and so on that you have and Motor.Aloha Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
had the same symptoms on my stock 2001 3500. I got a code po237 on my Actron scantool- Bad MAP sensor. Talk about doggin' it with no boost or fuel advance! These engines computers have a limp home program built in that will kick in when the computer loses it's inputs from various sensors. I'm not familiar with the Edge unit, but it would seem logical to eliminate it from the system while troubleshooting everything else. Before you order any replacement sensors or other parts, make sure you get the serial number of your ENGINE off the data plate. Make sure you keep this number handy ALWAYS because it's absolutely essential when ordering from Cummins or Dodge. The plate on a 2001 is located on on the drivers side front of the engine just behind the accessory drive housing and can be a BEAR to read. Flashlight and mirror may be needed to read the SN. Good luck !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The check engine light went away when the edge was removed but the problem still remains. No leaks anywhere. I guess Ill buy the crank and map sensors and finally a computer to see where the problem lies. The lack of any black smoke is a concern of mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you try to clear the stored fault codes AFTER you removed the Edge unit ? This is necessary to "reset" the computer to allow turbo boost and fuel advance. This gets it out of "limp" mode. Of course, if a problem still exists, it won't clear the code, or will do so only temporarily, and then set it again.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive been clearing with the snap on scanner as well as reviewing the vehicle functions. Every thing looks normal, its like the lights are on but nobody's home. I dont think the injection pump is getting enough fuel

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Double check you silicone connector between the boost pipes, I blew a connector last week right off the turbo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lift pump is stock and the silicone couplers are rock solid ill be checking fuel pressure today

·
Registered
316 Posts
Check the map sensor

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
check for a leak in the manifold too, it'd take quite a leak to not let the turbo spool up, but, its a possibility, also, the turbine housings are known for cracking near the wastegate, maybe theres a hole there or something.

just throwing ideas out there, seems like you've checked everything else

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Kind of a stupid question since you had the turbo out, but it DID spin freely right? Maybe pull off the tube to from the filter and make sure? I am kinda thinking something other than a leak, as the turbo should spool unless the leak was MASSIVE in which case it would be easy to find... ???

Sorta sounds like limp, but I would think it'd throw a code. Tps sensor on the fritz?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The turbo spins great and is in good condition. I took the turbo elbow off to unfreeze the wastegate and the housing was not cracked. It must be defueling for some reason or another.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuel pressure is good but there is no voltage going to the map sensor. Any suggestions

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What should the resistance to ground be on the map sensor plug im reading 120 ohms KOEO but i do get a 5V from the orange wire.

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
the 3 wires are 5v ref, ground, and signal. 5v should be there KOEO. the signal should be low at idle, (.4v is good on most map sensors) and higher with boost

·
Registered
346 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2002. I couldnt get over 5psi of boost. Mine would smoke like crazy goin down the road. I had the the icebox with the amsoil filter. And pulled that cover off and my air filter was collapsed. So i put my stock one back on and it runs fine now im just waitin on the new air filter they sent me for free. the guy said these trucks pull more air then he thought cause when i bought it. it said to clean every 15000 miles and know its every oil change. May want to check your air filter.

·
Registered
550 Posts
sometime those silicone connectors will crack on the bottom side where u cant see it, my buddies truck did it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts