Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
Without lower gears the torque converter can only do so much. Enough weight and incline and no movement. All my parts were less than $3,500. Trans was brand new in Crysler box. A good manual is more reliable, simpler and cheaper. All FACTS.
Sure. So where are those links, especially to the brand new NV4500 in a Crysler (I'd personally would have that chinese guy look up how to spell Chrysler) box. Also, how many 9000 pound dump trailers did you pull and for how many miles?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sure. So where are those links, especially to the brand new NV4500 in a Crysler (I'd personally would have that chinese guy look up how to spell Chrysler) box. Also, how many 9000 pound dump trailers did you pull and for how many miles?
A large trans shop in Texas had several hundred NV4500's. Rest of the parts from different sources. OEM trans, not China.
There is a reason why semitrucks have so many gear choices. The early auto's only had 3 or 4. Not made for moving heavy loads.
The Newer Aisin 6 speed auto is better than all the other choices.

·
Sasquatch
3,883 Posts
Sounds like Standard Transmission and Gear out of Fort Worth. They do good work. In the early 2010s, they were the ones who supplied NV4500s to the dealerships. Their reman transmissions come with the fully splined mainshaft, a shaft that they designed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like Standard Transmission and Gear out of Fort Worth. They do good work. In the early 2010s, they were the ones who supplied NV4500s to the dealerships. Their reman transmissions come with the fully splined mainshaft, a shaft that they designed.
You are correct, that was where I got it. Owner was really nice. Came in a factory Crysler box. $2,200. shipped. Picked up an OEM clutch kit for $300. Bellhousing from Advanced Adapters, I think was $280.?
Was tired of the stock 47RE struggling to tow heavy weight. The NV4500 is OUTSTANDING!

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
You are correct, that was where I got it. Owner was really nice. Came in a factory Crysler box. $2,200. shipped. Picked up an OEM clutch kit for $300. Bellhousing from Advanced Adapters, I think was $280.?
Was tired of the stock 47RE struggling to tow heavy weight. The NV4500 is OUTSTANDING!
That was a long time ago. ST doesn't have any cores so they can't even do exchanges. I've been doing business with them since 9/11/2001. Yes, I was on my way to Ft. Worth when the planes hit the twin towers. If they ever carried new transmissions it was prior to that time because it wasn't an option when my first NV4500 failed. IIRC rebuild exchange was $1400 but I don't have any idea what the core charge was. $800 sounds in the ball park. Yes, the NV4500 is a pretty good transmission, as long as you only haul trailers on a very limited basis. It isn't worth spit in commercial use, which is what the OP plans. And lets not forget the gear ratio split between 3rd and 4th. Ya, really outstanding.

So, now it is 20 years later. Where are those $2200 transmissions now? Even Auto Zone clutch and pressure plates then were over $200 without a flywheel and bearings. OEM linkage was over $200. I seriously doubt that Dodge was selling a flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/pilot bearing/release bearing for $300. You skipped right over the driveshaft mods. Sorry Bubba, it isn't a cheap conversion no matter what you remember.

·
Sasquatch
3,883 Posts
Same here for one of my builds. Didn't put too many miles on it, like 130k miles with around 500 horsies. The truck's current owner is still running it hard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That was a long time ago. ST doesn't have any cores so they can't even do exchanges. I've been doing business with them since 9/11/2001. Yes, I was on my way to Ft. Worth when the planes hit the twin towers. If they ever carried new transmissions it was prior to that time because it wasn't an option when my first NV4500 failed. IIRC rebuild exchange was $1400 but I don't have any idea what the core charge was. $800 sounds in the ball park. Yes, the NV4500 is a pretty good transmission, as long as you only haul trailers on a very limited basis. It isn't worth spit in commercial use, which is what the OP plans. And lets not forget the gear ratio split between 3rd and 4th. Ya, really outstanding.

So, now it is 20 years later. Where are those $2200 transmissions now? Even Auto Zone clutch and pressure plates then were over $200 without a flywheel and bearings. OEM linkage was over $200. I seriously doubt that Dodge was selling a flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/pilot bearing/release bearing for $300. You skipped right over the driveshaft mods. Sorry Bubba, it isn't a cheap conversion no matter what you remember.
Got it 3 years ago. Collected the other parts from different places. I have had no problems with my trans. 6 gears would be even better. The early autos just don't cut it!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
Got it 3 years ago. Collected the other parts from different places. I have had no problems with my trans. 6 gears would be even better. The early autos just don't cut it!!!!!!!!
Three years ago? It is unbelievable that you bought a new NV4500 anywhere.. New Venture went out of business about 15 years ago after Dodge started using the Mercedezs-Benz G56. Your story is very weak.

According to you it is easy and cheap to do a conversion TODAY! You have repeatably ignored the relevant questions. How much towing do you do? Where are these $300 OEM clutch kits with pedals? How do you explain the cost of all the ancillary requirements? You ignore the fact that there aren't any componants available to reliably strengthen the NV4500 other than an oversize input shaft. According to you manual transmissions don't create heat. Pretty funny if you ever had looked at the remnants of gears found in the case of several of my failed NV4500s. The deal is, if the same amount of money it costs to do a conversion was spent on upgrading an auto the auto would outperform the NV4500 each and every time in both strength and reliability.

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
I have 4 short beds.
If they are factory they are all '98s. I already said I was mistaken that all 12 valve trucks were long beds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Three years ago? It is unbelievable that you bought a new NV4500 anywhere.. New Venture went out of business about 15 years ago after Dodge started using the Mercedezs-Benz G56. Your story is very weak.

According to you it is easy and cheap to do a conversion TODAY! You have repeatably ignored the relevant questions. How much towing do you do? Where are these $300 OEM clutch kits with pedals? How do you explain the cost of all the ancillary requirements? You ignore the fact that there aren't any componants available to reliably strengthen the NV4500 other than an oversize input shaft. According to you manual transmissions don't create heat. Pretty funny if you ever had looked at the remnants of gears found in the case of several of my failed NV4500s. The deal is, if the same amount of money it costs to do a conversion was spent on upgrading an auto the auto would outperform the NV4500 each and every time in both strength and reliability.
And how do you address the lack of correct gearing? 5 and 6 gears is MUCH better than 3 or 4, especially when first gear is only 2.5 to 1???? 6 is even better. None of what you wrote makes any sense. I recommended to the person looking for a truck to tow to get a manual as the autos in the early trucks are not designed for heavy weight.

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
None of what you wrote makes any sense.
He said as he "cleverly" ignored every pertinant question posed to him.

It makes no sense to you because you clearly don't have an understanding of the NV4500 used in commercial operations or automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
19,118 Posts

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
I didn't. Have no idea why it came up again.
You are correct. Someone else caught my error long before you did.

·
Registered
83 Posts
He said as he "cleverly" ignored every pertinant question posed to him.

It makes no sense to you because you clearly don't have an understanding of the NV4500 used in commercial operations or automatic transmissions.
You forgot to explain how the 2.5 first gear auto can out pull a 6 to 1 manual? And not create lots of heat! Please, explain!!! And you say "torque multiplication"
And "lock up torque converter" Your love for the early expensive auto's has really clouded your reasoning Next you will claim Semi trucks really only need an auto trans with just a forward and reverse because of "TORQUE MULTIPCLATION"

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
Everything you need to know about automatic transmissions can be easily found if you really wanted to learn. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to educate you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This forum is for mechanically inclined individuals. You need to do your own research for what a torque convertor does and how it can lower the effective gear ratio. Think about what they use for truck pulling and why. You refer to creating lots of heat as it is a issue. For the same reasoning you dislike automatic transmissions, do you turn down the fuel settings (horse power) on your Cummins to reduce heat?
Heat is no problem as long as you take steps to have adequate heat rejection and monitor it's efficiency.
Then you want to interject semi trucks into the argument. Why stop there? How about stopping at your local quarry or mine whatever is in your area and ask to see a 100 ton haul truck or a face wheel loader and see if they have standard transmissions. Be careful you don't go into shock when you find out the answer.
And you maybe surprised to find out that excessive
exclamation points and emojis do not make you look smarter.

·
Registered
19,118 Posts
Then you want to interject semi trucks into the argument. Why stop there? How about stopping at your local quarry or mine whatever is in your area and ask to see a 100 ton haul truck or a face wheel loader and see if they have standard transmissions. Be careful you don't go into shock when you find out the answer.
Don't forget the M1A1 Abrams tank. It weighs 111,600 pounds and it's automatic transmission only has 4 forward gears.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts