Tail light problem on fifth wheel - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Towing & Hauling Discussion of Towing & Hauling Habits

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Tail light problem on fifth wheel

I apoligize in advance if this is in the wrong section. But i need some electrical experience here. Just got the camper out of storage this weekend and i have a problem with the passanger side brake light and turn signal (parking or running light works but its dim). Every other light works properly including the driver side brake/turn/parking lights. I tested both sides with a voltmeter and they seem to have proper voltage to both sides on both terminals (two wires going into the light, green and black) Its grounded by a spring when you push the bulb in and give it a quarter turn. So at this point im lost on what the problem is. I bought two brand new bulbs but made no difference. Everything worked fine when i put it away for the winter last november. Its covered under warranty, its just a hassle and alot of fuel to take it back to the dealer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

03 5.9L 6spd 4x4,SBQC sport leveled bilestin shocks, autometer gauges, custom air intake, 5" exhaust w/7" miter stack, cfm intake manifold, airdog 150, 100hp sticks, SB DD 3250 w/upgraded hydrolics , smarty/TNT-R, bullseye 62, air bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Diesel Freak

Sounds like possible ground problem. Is it a one wire socket, grounding to the chassis, or two wire, carrying ground wire back to front?

If one wire, try running a sheet metal screw into one of the rivets holding the light to the chassis. That will reground the light.

If two, you will need to try to find problem.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Master of Mayhem NASFIG

Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,365 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You can also look inside the light socket and see if its corroded and try to clean it with some sandpaper or steel wool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
Sounds like possible ground problem. Is it a one wire socket, grounding to the chassis, or two wire, carrying ground wire back to front?

If one wire, try running a sheet metal screw into one of the rivets holding the light to the chassis. That will reground the light.

If two, you will need to try to find problem.
Its a two wire, one for turn signal/ brake and one for running/parking lights. The socket is grounded when you push the bulb in and turn it a 1/4 turn.

03 5.9L 6spd 4x4,SBQC sport leveled bilestin shocks, autometer gauges, custom air intake, 5" exhaust w/7" miter stack, cfm intake manifold, airdog 150, 100hp sticks, SB DD 3250 w/upgraded hydrolics , smarty/TNT-R, bullseye 62, air bags.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage View Post
You can also look inside the light socket and see if its corroded and try to clean it with some sandpaper or steel wool.
Its open to where there is no corosion or anything. But good thought.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Master of Mayhem NASFIG

Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,365 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
It doesnt have to be open when its one of those kind of sockets. The socket itself could have pushed bigger and not making contact. Have had that happen too. Those things aren really air tight and will corrode when sitting for a long time. not sure how but they do
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage View Post
It doesnt have to be open when its one of those kind of sockets. The socket itself could have pushed bigger and not making contact. Have had that happen too. Those things aren really air tight and will corrode when sitting for a long time. not sure how but they do
That is why, if a riveted on fixture, put a screw into the rivet, or drill out the rivet, and screw then. If the whole fixture is loose on the chassis, you lose your ground, unless there is a separate ground wire, which it sounds like there is not. Most do not.

I have fixed a number of lights this way on a number of trailers. Try it, cheap and easy. If it does not work, look elsewhere.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Cummins Nut

sounds like problem I had earlier. look on back of bumper for the 4 flat wire connector. bet it corroded to pieces and grounding out.

08 Ram 5500 quad cab, 84" CA, 4.10 diff, 2wd 🚂
03 Ram 3500 quad cab DRW 2wd ...sold...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Ive also had this problem. Look in the fuse box. There are trailer light fuzes in there. Took me forever to figure that one out.

2004 2500 4x4 Laramie, Georend, Edge juice w/att, 4" MBRP, DPS twins, spool aid, FASS 95, Arson3, ARP HS, SAT radio, Linex, 19.5 ricksons, bilsteins, helwig swaybar, firestone air bags, 5000# supersprings, superhitch w/ 42" ext.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarriott2 View Post
Ive also had this problem. Look in the fuse box. There are trailer light fuzes in there. Took me forever to figure that one out.
Yeah i did happen to think of that and checked but the fuses were fine. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I will try them tomorrow and see what i come up with. I think the metal bracket where the bulb pushes in is screwed in and not riveted but ill double check. I didn't think there was a four pin connector on the back of a trailer??

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Im starting to think that my electrical problem is with my truck and not the trailer. Im going to confirm this later. By hooking to a trailer that i know works as far as lights go. My original problem was the passanger side brake and turn signal did not work. Well a week later i hooked back up to the trailer and NO lights worked except the driver side brake and turn signal. This really confused me and seemed strange. Has anyone had problems with the plug on the back of the truck going bad?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM

If it's burning it can not be a fuse. Almost every time you have dime lights it's going to be a ground.

2000 F-250 crewcab 4x4 LB. Auto to manual swap, custom exhaust, divorced 205 transfer case. Oh yeah, and a 12 valve Cummins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode