Toyo Open Country M/T Review - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dsldude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Toyo Open Country M/T Review

I have had a set of the Toyo Open Country M/T 295/70-17 tires for about 5 months now. I bought them due to the extremely high load rating. They handle the load very well. I haul a in bed truck camper and a dual moto hitch rack on the back which equates to a fair bit of tongue weight. Other reviews say that the tires break in and have no MT sway. I would disagree. They sway as all MT tires do. People also said they are quiet after break in. I disagree, so far they are getting louder. I keep them rotated every 3k miles. My front end components are fairly new so the tires are wearing nicely for the most part. They look great. They are trustworthy in the boonies, which was another main reason for buying them, however the noise, poor mpg, and sway has made me think I will go another route next time. Ill probably go back to the Wildpeak AT3w which was a nice all around tire. Hopefully this review helps someone in their decision making.

steve05ram360 and GRUNT 11B like this.

2004.5 Cummins, stock tune,5" turbo back exhaust, BW T4 turbo, Turbosmart WG, ARP Studs,built 48RE, BD flowmax lift pump and sump with h2o separator,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Cummins Fan

Good review, I agree with all of the points you make. I've ran 3 sets of 35X12.5X20 Toyo m/t's on 3 different trucks and I have been overall happy with them. With any M/T you'll be sacrificing mpg, noise, wear life, and ice traction, over an A/T H/T or some of the new 'in between options. I've got 39k on my current set and they aren't down to the wear bars yet. They have gotten MUCH louder over the years and now you can hear them even with the radio on. However off road capability is amazing, I have had my truck buried past the hubs in mud and they were able to pull me out. They also seem to balnce out better than any other M/T that ive ran. ( Nitto, BFG, Coooper.)

{2015 CCSB 4x4 Laramie} [2002 24v CCLB 6 Speed 4x4] (SOLD) [2011 6.7 CCSB 4x4 Tradesman] (SOLD) [2004.5 HO CCSB Laramie 4x4] (SOLD) [1992 12v 4x4 96k miles CCLB]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:47 AM

Makes me rethink Toyo's. Thanks for the info.

2005 HO NV5600 4x4 - 110,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:16 PM
Cummins Fan

I have experienced the DEATH WOBBLE four times now and this last time I had to take surface streets to make it home safely and this truck is not going anywhere until I fix this problem, (scary stuff!). I have BF Goodrich AT LT,285/70-17 the side walls are cracking from the sun and people on many threads say BF Goodrich contribute to DW, so I'm going to get new tires and then work my way down the trouble shooting list to fix the DW.

That being said, is there a tire brand that people are comfortable with here that's not likely to contribute to DW, I don't do much off-roading so if staying away from a dirt tire helps with DW, I don't mind going that route.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4, Filtration Solution bypass oil & trans, Tommy lift gate, Bilstein shocks, mag-hytec Trans & diff, diehard platinum AGM, frame mounted duel fuel filters Baldwin BF1212 & Cat 1R-0750
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:32 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have loved 3 sets of 35x12.5 M/Ts on my 06 & 10. I did take a little bit of a hit on mpg but noise and handling was never a problem. I put a set of 295/75r18s A/T IIs on my 15 and love them too, I picked them cause I thought they would be good in snow and they seem to be. I wont run anything but Toyos, never been disappointed.

2015 maximum steel 2500 BigHorn, HPP/CTT EFI Live, RevMax Sig 850, Garrett G42-1200 73/82/1.01, Steed Speed, TS Big Bubba BOV, S&S 150% Inj, Custom 11mm CP3, Fleece PowerFlo Lift Pump, ARP 625, Hamilton 182/214 cam, Springs & Pushrods, 4.10s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode