Toyo M/T is still the tire of choice - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Toyo M/T is still the tire of choice

There has been alot of good back on forth on alternatives other than the proven toyo m/t - probably fueled by people like me looking for something different every few years. I got very intrigued by the nitto ridge grappler but there are no real world long term reports on how this tire is holding up under a 1200lb engine. I live in 4x4 country in so. Oregon and noone yet has been willing to be a guinea pig so all go back to the proven toyo. However I have found some reports that the nitto gets loud once it wears a bit. It is also a lighter tire than the toyo which is probably weaker in the sidewall. Tire life is unknown. Also tire life is very much dependent on type of roads and driving. I dont drive highways much just 2 lane curvy roads and in the summer it is hot. I have 25k on my tires and am at 62% with even wear. I run 35lbs in front and 30 in the rear (empty). I only tow 6-7k. My front end weighs 4880 lbs with bumper winch etc and my big a** behind the wheel.

I run 37x13.50x17 so sidewall toughness is important. The toyo has proven itself. The only negative is wet/snowy pavement handling. But its not a major negative. I tried something yesterday on my tires which as mentioned are at 62%. I siped them cause for the next 5-6 mos I will be driving in wet n snowy conditions more than dry pavement. The guy who siped my tires is one of the honchos at my local Les Schwab. He has an 06 4x4 and has always siped his m/t's and no issues or reduced wear. Of course he dosent romp on it on rock roads etc but uses his truck alot in the mountains for hunting and pulling his rv. He siped my tires at a 45 deg angle so help reduce chunking. So shall see how they work. i have only driven 100 miles since and did notice a smoother feeling ride and no more road noise than before ( which is minimal).

Until another tire is proven over the long term I have decided to stick with my 94 lb toyo m/t's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Supporting Vendors

Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,602 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I don't understand why anyone would switch from something as proven as the Toyo MT. They are beyond proven, I have seen them tortured.

Give Us a Call for All Your Suspension, Lighting, and Wheel Needs!
424.241.3252 x700 [email protected]
Check Us Out On Facebook!
Check Our Forum For The Latest in LED and Thuren Products"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Mine required speaking with a high volume in order to communicate with my wife. I've got a fairly quiet exhaust system.
Great tires,just too noisy for me. I've ridden in an '03 straight piped with MT's where i couldn't hear anything besides the engine.
Everything's subjective.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Supporting Vendors

Mine only get noisy if I don't rotate them every 5k.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Diesel Head

I run Toyo CT's, wear well so far (about 50k kms) and are pretty quiet. They are only available in Canada at the moment i think though.

I just could not run a mud tire in our winters, no thanks. I also wanted something quieter than my previous Duratracs.

https://www.toyotires.ca/tires/open-...r_desktop_page

Derek B.

2003 QCab, S.Touch, Tater 62/65, 3" pintop, Toyo CT 35's on 17" Beasts.

91.5 W250 5spd, GV OD, Alcans, PS IC, HE351CW, Spring and pump mods, Bilstein shocks, Valair DD clutch, Crossover steering.

1974 pontiac ventura 455P, best of [email protected] so far.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Diesel Head

I've got around 50k+ on my M/T's and there's still life on them. I don't think I'll switch up next go around although I've been really intrigued by the Grabber X3's. Not sure there's enough out there to sway me away from the Toyos, they have done awesome in everything I've thrown at them over the years, and got me out of some pretty sketchy situations.

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILTIT View Post
I run Toyo CT's, wear well so far (about 50k kms) and are pretty quiet. They are only available in Canada at the moment i think though.

I just could not run a mud tire in our winters, no thanks. I also wanted something quieter than my previous Duratracs.

The shop I use installed two sets last week of the CT's.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Supporting Vendors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILTIT View Post

I would order a set of the CT if they would make a 37" version, and run them when I go to the mountains in the winter.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinopkc View Post
I don't understand why anyone would switch from something as proven as the Toyo MT. They are beyond proven, I have seen them tortured.
The same reason we switched to toyo m/t when they first came out. just wondering if something 'better' has come out. I dont think so..yet
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=BILTIT;27398465]I run Toyo CT's, wear well so far (about 50k kms) and are pretty quiet. They are only available in Canada at the moment i think though.

I would try them also if they made em in 37's
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:54 AM

Are you dead set on a M/T, or would you consider an aggressive A/T? The Toyo AT/II Extremes I had were an amazing tire. I want to try the Cooper S/T Maxx next.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700R View Post
Are you dead set on a M/T, or would you consider an aggressive A/T? The Toyo AT/II Extremes I had were an amazing tire. I want to try the Cooper S/T Maxx next.
I did not have good luck with the st maxx, they looked aggressive but did not perform well In the snow or ice. Tried several different air pressures as well. I would not recommend them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks20 For This Useful Post:
700R (11-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode