• 2 Post By Gunny Fitz
  • 1 Post By 2012Ram6.7
  • 1 Post By dragers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Be Careful with tires

I want to do this thread maybe it prevents someone of going thru the same type of accident I had.
this was my truck
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...l#post24584825

I was very happy with my truck after everything I did to the truck. Doing a 1/4 mile pass a tire exploded at full speed. Wheel with no tire , steering was lost and the truck turned directly into the opposite retaining wall. Tire was a Cooper Discoverer H/T 275/65 R17. I used 45 psi air pressure. All 4 tires were the same brand . I dont know if it was due to speed 114mph and 12.8 et. the truck was 7000 lb with me in it. But It never went thru my mind something like this would happen.
I would like to replace the truck with the motor I had on the destroyed truck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragers For This Useful Post:
2012Ram6.7 (10-06-2016), Bk1911 (10-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

the truck was 2007 sorry if wrong section but dont know how to fix
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,517 Times in 2,583 Posts
Wow just wow. Glad to hear your still with us.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man in black View Post
Wow just wow. Glad to hear your still with us.
i had surgery of the neck, fusion of 2 discs , now at home resting
]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:31 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
What is the speed rating of those tires?

Limited research shows 275/65R17 Discoverer HT tires have a S rating which is rated to 112 mph.
While I can't believe they would separate at only 2 mph over their rating the next rating of T is only safe for 118 mph so maybe they can. Speed ratings also only apply to a tire that has not been damaged, altered or mis inflated.

Glad your safe and recovering, next truck put higher rated tires on it.

92 extended cab long bed D250, Getrag 5 Speed, 4" Straight Piped, 366 Spring, DAP 5x12s, AC, Air bags, 3.54 ratio, 220k miles.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:26 AM
Devil Dog Diesel

Garage
Holy smokes my man!
I wouldn't know where to start on this one for sure! It sounds legit about higher rated tires and all, but then again I'm guessing they make certain rubber for doing these type of driving runs no? Have you done these runs before with same truck and tires? What did all the fellow 1/4 guys have to say about it all - or did you get transported to hospital immediately and not stick around to talk about it all? You said 114 mph, hell I think I've done that before a few times just getting up onto an open highway. For some odd reason my rig never feels like it's going as fast as the speed I'm going (Off Speedo, Garmin and Edge) mph readout) so it's easy to Do!

Take it from someone who's had severe neck issues since 2004 when I was blown up by a massive IED explosion in Iraq, the Cervical Spine is something you need to pay strict attention to or you'll have issues for life like myself! If you start to feel any numbness in extremities get to a Neuro surgeon asap please! May I ask EXACTLY what they did in there? Fused which vertebra? I'll hit you up offline for more. Get well soon!

Also, out of curiosity, the truck is totaled and will your insurance cover anything on this by chance? To find out EXACTLY what happened to the tire to make it blow out like that would take some serious accident reconstruction and forensic tire evaluation that I'm just guessing no one is going to do since you were participating in a "race" or "track" type event man. Either way, if at least make an attempt to contact the manufacturer if there's a way you can get those tires back at all? I realize these may be stupid questions here but if you seriously wish to figure out WHAT caused this all those are some things to consider? Thank God you were strapped in tight and the infamous "Recalled Air Bags" went off like they're supposed to do!
Best of luck in your recovery my friend. Do all your Dr tells you if he's a good one. Physical therapy included! Thanks for the post also!

Gunny
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunny Fitz For This Useful Post:
2012Ram6.7 (10-06-2016), Stefan73 (03-14-2017)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 AM
Diesel Freak

I thank God you're alive my friend. I was involved in a drag racing accident on a narrow country road that I walked away from with nothing but a cracked cell phone display on an old Nokia. Both cars were over 100 mph when one car went off thw edge of the road and came back on hitting us in the left rear quarter spinning us out. I thought i was going to die in that 86 Mustang........ This was 14 years ago. I wasn't driving, but it is a very scary thing to have happen and man; it's just good to know you're alive after everything stops and becomes silent. I'm sure you know what I am talking about.
I am glad you are alive too Gunny Fitz.
Gunny Fitz likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2012Ram6.7 For This Useful Post:
Gunny Fitz (10-06-2016)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:46 AM
Devil Dog Diesel

Garage
Wow. I sure as hell didn't expect to see something so kind as that "2012Ram6.7" !! You certainly just made my day my friend.

Matter of fact, the only reason I've been awake since midnight is due to the brutal pain in my Cervical Spine and intense spasms down my entire back! Otherwise I'd be sleeping right now like most normal folks (except those 3rd shift workers- who are normal and no offense was intended folks! So thank you once again my man. Not sure if you've ever seen this article here before - though I don't post it all that often. I also hope our OP doesn't mind me doing so - and I'll gladly remove it if so?

Basically it's my Marine Corps story, what occurred in 2004 yet still effects me so badly I cannot even ride this 40k Ducati Show Bike I built with the unreal help from this Co who actually donated the set of 3k Carbon Fiber Wheels, and still are so incredibly kind to send me Christmas Cards every year! It still brings me to tears remembering how much it meant to me what they did by this all. Anyway, I hope no ome minds me posting it. This is why I say be very careful what you do during your recuperation "Dragers!" Get well man!

Brocks Performance: Retired Marine Corps First Sergeant Rolls with BST
Bk1911 and xcc_rider like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunny Fitz For This Useful Post:
2012Ram6.7 (10-06-2016), Bk1911 (10-07-2016)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Wow. I sure as hell didn't expect to see something so kind as that "2012Ram6.7" !! You certainly just made my day my friend.

Matter of fact, the only reason I've been awake since midnight is due to the brutal pain in my Cervical Spine and intense spasms down my entire back! Otherwise I'd be sleeping right now like most normal folks (except those 3rd shift workers- who are normal and no offense was intended folks! So thank you once again my man. Not sure if you've ever seen this article here before - though I don't post it all that often. I also hope our OP doesn't mind me doing so - and I'll gladly remove it if so?

Basically it's my Marine Corps story, what occurred in 2004 yet still effects me so badly I cannot even ride this 40k Ducati Show Bike I built with the unreal help from this Co who actually donated the set of 3k Carbon Fiber Wheels, and still are so incredibly kind to send me Christmas Cards every year! It still brings me to tears remembering how much it meant to me what they did by this all. Anyway, I hope no ome minds me posting it. This is why I say be very careful what you do during your recuperation "Dragers!" Get well man!

Brocks Performance: Retired Marine Corps First Sergeant Rolls with BST
I did not serve Gunny but my wife's dad did and paid the ultimate price. He was on the plane that went down over Gander coming back from Egypt in 1985 killing all servicemen onboard. He was apart of the 10 1st Airborne..... my wife and I appreciate your service Gunny, and O.P......sorry for hi-jacking your thread.
Gunny Fitz likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2012Ram6.7 For This Useful Post:
Gunny Fitz (10-06-2016), Stefan73 (03-14-2017)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Holy smokes my man!
I wouldn't know where to start on this one for sure! It sounds legit about higher rated tires and all, but then again I'm guessing they make certain rubber for doing these type of driving runs no? Have you done these runs before with same truck and tires? What did all the fellow 1/4 guys have to say about it all - or did you get transported to hospital immediately and not stick around to talk about it all? You said 114 mph, hell I think I've done that before a few times just getting up onto an open highway. For some odd reason my rig never feels like it's going as fast as the speed I'm going (Off Speedo, Garmin and Edge) mph readout) so it's easy to Do!

Take it from someone who's had severe neck issues since 2004 when I was blown up by a massive IED explosion in Iraq, the Cervical Spine is something you need to pay strict attention to or you'll have issues for life like myself! If you start to feel any numbness in extremities get to a Neuro surgeon asap please! May I ask EXACTLY what they did in there? Fused which vertebra? I'll hit you up offline for more. Get well soon!

Also, out of curiosity, the truck is totaled and will your insurance cover anything on this by chance? To find out EXACTLY what happened to the tire to make it blow out like that would take some serious accident reconstruction and forensic tire evaluation that I'm just guessing no one is going to do since you were participating in a "race" or "track" type event man. Either way, if at least make an attempt to contact the manufacturer if there's a way you can get those tires back at all? I realize these may be stupid questions here but if you seriously wish to figure out WHAT caused this all those are some things to consider? Thank God you were strapped in tight and the infamous "Recalled Air Bags" went off like they're supposed to do!
Best of luck in your recovery my friend. Do all your Dr tells you if he's a good one. Physical therapy included! Thanks for the post also!

Gunny
I had medical insurance , nothing for the truck,I lost the truck except for motor transmission , wiring harnesses and some other parts. The airbag system was ok but didnt activate, I dont know why. Maybe because I hit the wall sideways. Surgery was 10hrs, 12 days ago, doctors say I will recover 100% , I have problems in 1 muscle Neurapraxia of c5 regaining movement on the arm. They left my neck like robocop. tomorrow I begin physical therapy. Never in the world I have seen a tire fail like this or went thru my mind something like that would happen. Yes I think speed rating is a big reason for tire failure but also bad quality in construction thank god I was alone on the truck and didnt hurt anyone else. Also I think the weight of the truck was too much for the tires. I decided to write here where everybody has the same trucks with similar modifications , maybe someone avoids having the same thing happen

Gunny Fitz likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dragers For This Useful Post:
Gunny Fitz (10-07-2016)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Ram6.7 View Post
I thank God you're alive my friend. I was involved in a drag racing accident on a narrow country road that I walked away from with nothing but a cracked cell phone display on an old Nokia. Both cars were over 100 mph when one car went off thw edge of the road and came back on hitting us in the left rear quarter spinning us out. I thought i was going to die in that 86 Mustang........ This was 14 years ago. I wasn't driving, but it is a very scary thing to have happen and man; it's just good to know you're alive after everything stops and becomes silent. I'm sure you know what I am talking about.
I am glad you are alive too Gunny Fitz.
yes , its true, I was stuck in the truck for some seconds but got out fast , when I saw the truck was grateful for being alive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode