Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tech Bulletin - A Leading Cause of Vibration per Toyo

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jimmy N. 
#1 ·
https://www.toyotires.com/media/1492/tsd-12-015_tips_tire_rim_slip_vibration_complain.pdf

Excerpts:
"Toyo recently completed a test of four tire brands, including Toyo, revealing that tire slip on wheels is a major cause of vibration leading to customer complaints after mounting new tires and wheels.

"The main cause of tire/wheel slip is excessive use of tire lubricant (shown on the right) on the tire beads and rim. Excessive lubricant reduces friction between the tire bead and the wheel, allowing the tire to slip within hours of mounting...

"Toyo believes that tire/rim slip from over- lubrication and its affect on balance is one of the major causes of customer complaints for ride vibration on new tire and wheel assemblies."

This info is not new, but posting, betting many of you aren't aware; If this has been posted before, I apologize; I can't properly search messages with my work's firewall!

See less See more
#3 ·
Next set of tires you get mark the tire/wheel see if they move. IE: A grease mark at on the tire at the valve stem. From my sportsman drag racing days and marking tires I personally find it hard to believe it could be a major cause of vibration as it seldom happened too me on the strip but who knows?

Reactions: Doozy
#4 ·
Not because of excessive lube, but low tire pressures, the rears of my Jeep could rotate maybe 40 degrees on the wheel during a weekend.
I permanently marked marked the tires with a grinder relative to the valve stems to keep track of the movement.

With the torque of our Rams' engines, combined with over use of lube (or the wrong kind), I can see it happening.

Reactions: Doozy
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.