Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Southwestern Regional Meet!!

12K views 91 replies 29 participants last post by  slickrock steve 
#1 ·
Here are a couple of thoughts I have for this:

1). Event #1: Hold it in Las Vegas for the DHRA Vegas Diesel Nationals
some time in May of 2009! Here's info from last year's event:
DHRA Vegas Diesel Nationals - Diesel World

2). Event #2: Make our "Own" event! Possibly by contacting the Drag Strip in Las Vegas and seeing how feasable it is to do that, either on a Friday night in conjunction with what they refer to as "Midnight Mayhem Presented By MetroPCS". Or, by reserving the track for our own. (May be cost prohibitive) See the website of the track:
LVMS

3). Event #3: Hold it in Las Vegas over New Years 12/09 (Long Range Goal.. Could be our end of year party!:beer )

4). Do All three! Like one event every 4 months! (The Make Our own Event would occur in Late August or September..)

What I'd like to see happen:

Presidents and VP's of Ca. Ut. Nv. Nm. Az. Co. work together to gather any and all information they feel is necessary to make this happen, and organize the event, or events.

Gather input, ideas and attendance plans from the members here.

I'm thinking we will need to know how many people from each state are interested in participating, maybe get an Idea for inexpensive but "nice" lodging... At least a "Center Point" so we can all stay in the same "General" area...

You get the idea here?

OK a few more Ideas I had, they can be done in conjunction with the "Make our own event" :
Find a shop with a Dyno and have a little Dyno competition... check with some vendors on here and see if they would be willing to sponsor a gift certificate... (Name the dyno competition after the Vendor). Also, maybe give a consolation prize for the lowest Dyno number.

Publish the results here on the Forum

Have a Show and Shine competition. again, check for sponsorship with the vendors.

Publish results here on the board.

Have a BBQ at either event #1 or #2, or both. Most shops with Dynos have a grille, everything else can be sourced locally by participation (Everyone who participates, contributes an Item).

Have an "Exploration Run" for those interested in seeing the sights in and around Las Vegas, we can gather all of us that are interested in exploring the area and do it together!

Perhaps each one of the States can put on some kind of event, organize and staff it...

It would be really cool to have some local support from our members who live in and around Las Vegas to help out with this as well!

Feel free to use this thread to discuss!!

See less See more
#36 ·
Yeah, I'd like to do that too, Problem is, they haven't set a date for it, and it seems like by now they should have.

I might try to call...

#37 ·
Hell, I'm driving from GJ, co. I might just tag along with ATS if they caravan. I-70 runs right through GJ, so all I gotta do is sit a canyon view park and wait till I see a black cloud come down the hill....then I'll hitch up to the train. Hopefully LEM goes...I wanna race him on a strip that is properly prepped. He should be in the 12's now and I'll be there when I finish my supsension, throw on a charger, some studs and nitrous :D someone might have to tow me back here, though......If my tranny doesn't hold up

#39 ·
Just watching this...a little jealous :D but still just watching...:popcorn:

#47 ·
Ok I heard back from Eric Mcbride.
Evidently, they moved the event from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City, and have no plans in changing that, because attendance is better there.

I'm thinking we would be better off picking a weekend that has a Friday night test and tune, and just see if maybe we can set up our own events for this.

I'll step back now and let the Presidents and Vice Presidents work it out.

They should really be the ones who take the reins on this anyway. I don't want to be meddling in anyone's affairs.

Thanks.

#48 ·
aww come on bill! you are a super good meddler. !! lmao.

thanks for digging up the info so far.
(who is the Prez's & VP's that are supposed to be running this shindig?)
i want to get something rolling. late spring would be great for me, especially in vegas! :peelout:peelout

#62 ·
Anymore thoughts on this? If we were still gonna try and plan our own event, would something in late March or early April be of any interest? The event in Salt Lake is a bit of a stretch for me so I would be interested in something a little closer. There was some talk about planning something in Vegas.

BTW, this is the first time I have even seen this thread!? Guess I wasn't paying much attention! :doh:

#63 ·
it would be pretty tight if we could go to vegas in october!!!! ill be turning 21 in Oct.... on second thought i mite not survive the weekend in vegas just turnin 21 and all!!! :lol4: :headbang:

#64 ·
i just did my 21st in vegas a few weeks ago. good stuff. :lol4:

i'm still down for all of this to happen, would prefer vegas ( cuz its closer and i'd have free room) i'd almost say later on in the spring would be better only cuz we'd have nicer weather. its freaking chilly willy right now.

#65 ·
fo sho.... or new years would be tight to!!! :party7500:but i also agree bout cold wheather!!!

#67 ·
Hell yea!!! Im down wit the brown!!! thats cute... i remember when i had my first beer!!!!!!:lol4:

#68 ·
I'm at Grand Canyon. Anyone interested in a get together here please PM me so I can have a head count. Please post interest here also, so the rest of the club can know. I can see what I can do for a group discount on lodging. Pretty sure I have a few people I can hit up for discount rates. I could also get a group campsite if it looks like it can come together closer to warm weather. I need to go and read P2-5.

#69 ·
I just read pg 2-5. I'm in for anything that could work for me. I am still more than willing to do what I can to get arrangements made for the Canyon. I can say it won't be like a wild Vegas trip or the Drag strip. This is really a nice place to get off to, though. Besides you will have a guide that has been here for 7yrs now. I'm game for anything I can get a day off for. I hope we get something going on soon enough to make plans for. Got some family $h1t coming up soon.

#73 ·
Nice, warm weather here in Arizona... Compared to the rest of the country, anyway.
I think we should try to make this our GTG event.

It's far enough in advance to get Vacation, no real prep work to be done, It'll probably have Magazine coverage, if that's your thing. It's not Vegas, but then again, we can always do Vegas at the end of the year... :party018:

Any thoughts?

I'm going either way, so it's up to the rest of you.

#75 ·
15 Years of May Madness.

I'm not trying to promote May Madness even though I've mentioned it in the past, in this thread. There are a lot of good ideas being "tossed into the hat", here.

For those that are serious about starting up your own event, you might want to attend this years May Madness. These folks have 15 years of experience setting up a diesel event in the Southwest. They do a good job & it draws people from all over the country. There are even two couples that tow their fifth-wheels from Maryland, each year.

Again, I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do but, one couldn't help but learn from these folks & their vast experiences in this area.

May Madness seems to have an appeal to all ages, interests & financial backgrounds. Those of us that are a bit older are more interested in towing performance. Many of the younger folks are more interested in drag racing & dyno's (although, the older folks seem to like the dyno's, as well). I've seen folks that are financially well-off, and, last year, there was a Marine that drove his first-gen. & slept in the bed of the truck, snuggled up next to his shotgun (not that he needed it with this group).

May Madness is a good time, for all &, a great opportunity to learn how to set up a successful, big-time, diesel event, if that's what you're interested in.

Joe F.

#76 ·
I'm not trying to promote May Madness even though I've mentioned it in the past, in this thread. There are a lot of good ideas being "tossed into the hat", here.

For those that are serious about starting up your own event, you might want to attend this years May Madness. These folks have 15 years of experience setting up a diesel event in the Southwest. They do a good job & it draws people from all over the country. There are even two couples that tow their fifth-wheels from Maryland, each year.

Again, I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do but, one couldn't help but learn from these folks & their vast experiences in this area.

May Madness seems to have an appeal to all ages, interests & financial backgrounds. Those of us that are a bit older are more interested in towing performance. Many of the younger folks are more interested in drag racing & dyno's (although, the older folks seem to like the dyno's, as well). I've seen folks that are financially well-off, and, last year, there was a Marine that drove his first-gen. & slept in the bed of the truck, snuggled up next to his shotgun (not that he needed it with this group).

May Madness is a good time, for all &, a great opportunity to learn how to set up a successful, big-time, diesel event, if that's what you're interested in.

Joe F.
hey Joe,

i'm not sure if you already posted it , but is there a link to the home page for the may madness? or the site of the company thats sponsors it. would help spread the word bout the detials and what not..

sounds like a good time tho!!

#77 ·
I don't see a "Home Page" for May Madness but, you should be able to get information from Turbodieselregister.com (who is a sponsor of the event) or questions can be answered by Dr. Joseph Donnelly at Donnellyj@msn.com.

So far as I know, this in NOT a Turbo Diesel Register event, ONLY! I believe all diesel enthusiasts are invited.

ATS Diesel, out of Arvada, Co. brings Chevy's, Ford's & Dodges to the event.

You could do a search at the TDR on previous May Madness's & find out what those that have attended have to say about the event. That way, you're not just taking my word for it.

Joe F.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.