Great White North.... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Great White North....

So it sounds like I will be moving north in January (Way North) to Yellowknife NT. I would like to know what (if any) I should look at doing to my truck to prepare it for the cold up there.

Right now i am in Salt Lake City and the winters are mild compared to what i am going to see, so any advice would help and probably save my come January.....

Thanks;

00' cummins, Auto, 4x4, Quad Cab, White. Yes it's a 53 block and no it has not cracked. (nock on wood), 122,000 mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Diesel Head

oh boy, you picked the wrong time of the year to come up here! (i live in yellowknife)

Well, for things you can do before you get here:

verify both grid heaters are working
verify block heater working
install 2 battery warmers (if you do not already have them)
If you dont already have one, get a winterfront

batteries! Make sure both are in tip top shape. It takes alot of juice to cycle the grid heaters a couple times then trying to roll over a cold diesel at -50c!

when you get up here you will want to switch over to 0-40 synthetic oil.

Other than that, as long as the rest of the rig is in decent mechanical shape, it might start lol

2015 3500 laramie dually. 6.7, aisin, 4.10s, bone stock... (for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2014 forest river XLR 395amp, 42.5ft of truck killing, wind catching, toy and booze hauling, fun...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info,

I imagine that there is only so much you can do when it is -50C.....

Maybe I should add a warm pair of boots to the list when i have to walk home

00' cummins, Auto, 4x4, Quad Cab, White. Yes it's a 53 block and no it has not cracked. (nock on wood), 122,000 mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Diesel Head

Best thing to have up here is a sled, if its insured you can register it for the road. most of the time thats what alot of people ride to work in the winter.

Personally, i live 2 lots over from our shop so im withing walking/staggering distance so im all good, but i used to ride my sled to work every day (previous job)

I guess another thing i forgot to add, you want to have good winter tires and 4wd. Its a rare occasion that they plow the roads up here, they usually just let it pack down and scrape it up in the spring so the roads are . This year, so far we have over 20" of snow which is more than half of our regular annual snowfall and its not packing down for , so the roads are brutal. I have a very hard time getting around with my truck in only 2wd (front end is f'kd and my goodyear MTRs dont help)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2014 forest river XLR 395amp, 42.5ft of truck killing, wind catching, toy and booze hauling, fun...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

That's all good things to know. I guess i'll figure it all out soon enough.

A friend there said that it also sucks to drive when your tires have frozen over night and it takes several miles before the rubber warms up and the tire becomes round again.........

A sled is definitely in the plan, i just hope it doesn't f me up as bad as my dirt bike did this last summer. I always seam to do stupid sh#t while on those things.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Check your antifreeze and make sure its good for 50 below. You may want to look into an aftermarket inline heater for your antifreeze.....warms the fluid fairly quick and not very expensive. Another idea is battery warmers. I have both on my plow truck and 1 - 2 hours, oil, antifreeze, and batteries are warm.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybel View Post
Check your antifreeze and make sure its good for 50 below. You may want to look into an aftermarket inline heater for your antifreeze.....warms the fluid fairly quick and not very expensive. Another idea is battery warmers. I have both on my plow truck and 1 - 2 hours, oil, antifreeze, and batteries are warm.
Your running an oil heater too?

I was planning to drop my pan this summer and install an oil heater (would have to weld a bung on the pan for it to screw into). but never got the time or ambition to do it.

haha, the tire thing is funny and true. Its like driving a flinstones car for a few miles, but even after the flat spots pound out of them its still a rough ride. The roads up here suck enough in the summer let alone in the winter (because they dont plow so it all goes to hell)

)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
No oil heater, but you can buy a magnetic one that plugs in.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Diesel Head

yea, i have one of them kicking around that i use for the camaro if i have to move it in the winter (no block heater)

I dont have the ambition to drop my pan to install an oil heater so i was thinking of just using one of the flat pad type ones that you just stick on with silicone. I wouldnt trust a magnetic one, with all the bumps and crators in our roads it would probably fall off before i got downtown!

)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 PM

I suggest you use Amsoil ATF as power steering fluid. I did that years ago and and have
not broken a hose since.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Diesel Head

Haha, i think yellowknife has got to take the cake for the ammount of power steering hoses sold!

I worked in the parts business for a couple years and it was just remarkable the ammount of power steering hoses that get blown during the winter. I think half the problem is that alot of people just fire up and go, not letting things warm up.

Im not even sure whats in my dodge, but the PS pump makes all kinds of horrible noises when its cold, but havent blown a hose yet. Dumping it and throwing some synthetic in there was on my 'to do' list for this fall, but it never happened. I have alot more important things to do on the truck that i havent even gotten around to yet!

)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 01:10 PM

P S Hoses

Hi Dave: I live in YK too. I change my vehicles over to ATF
as soon as I get them. Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode