Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Active New Mexico Members

719K views 32K replies 183 participants last post by  99lbcummins 
#1 ·
Just wanted to see who is on. We need to get nm more actively evolved so let's introduce ourselves
I'll start
David Brown Las Vegas Nm
Anyone needs help advice or wants to hang out let me know...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#11,401 ·
Charging would be about $5/day but as electricity demand goes up (relatively) so does cost. We will see.
I've considered putting in a solar dual meter system (net metering) in which I would sell any unused energy back to the power company. If you had a big enough system, you could charge your SUV at no cost to you. With federal and state tax credits, solar isn't a bad way to go.

How many miles, on average, does your wife drive per week?

#11,402 ·
So here’s the thing

Batteries and electrification have been driven by all aspects of industry which has made them inherently better across all spectrums.

Solar however has not soni think there is a ways before solar is a great option vs a good option.

I am certified and the wind and solar industry and I haven’t seen much gain in 7 years.

It will come though and if you want more panels and see ok with them then go for it. I’m waiting for the efficiently rating of 1 panel per house before I do it.

She drives about a fill up every week and a half so about 350-400 miles a week if I’m being aggressive about it.

Plug in and charge every 3 rd day and she should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11,403 ·
Solar however has not soni think there is a ways before solar is a great option vs a good option.

I am certified and the wind and solar industry and I haven’t seen much gain in 7 years.

It will come though and if you want more panels and see ok with them then go for it. I’m waiting for the efficiently rating of 1 panel per house before I do it.
Okay, so it may take 20 years before the system pays for itself, and the parts will be beyond obsolete by then, but at least you'd be able to charge and use the car if/when the grid takes a dump.

#11,404 ·
Okay, so it may take 20 years before the system pays for itself, and the parts will be beyond obsolete by then, but at least you'd be able to charge and use the car if/when the grid takes a dump.

There can always be a good reason to have it, personally I am waiting for something a little more resilient and efficient.

Some of these “pay” as you go Systems address the “feel good” of having solar vs the practicality use.

I think I’m the next 10 years we will see an increase in development, smaller size, higher efficiency with similar cost

#11,405 ·
I agree there hasn't been big gains in solar technology, but there has been a good price reduction, which makes solar a lot more affordable, especially with the federal and state tax credits.

I have found that making power isn't the problem. Storing power, on the other hand, is a problem.

I have two friends with solar well pumps. I've been really impressed with their ability to pump water from over 100' feet depths. They don't run their entire household off solar, but the electric bill is very low. In an emergency situation, they could keep their household functioning (water, refrigerator, freezer, lights, laptop, chargers, etc.).

She drives about a fill up every week and a half so about 350-400 miles a week if I’m being aggressive about it.
Wow, that's a lot of driving. 300 miles per week x 52 weeks in a year = 15,000 miles annually.

#11,407 ·
Well I started an Instagram brand

nordic_patriot

Nordic Patriot (c)

Nordic due to my reddish beard and heritage patriot to pay homage for my background and love of country.

Focused on automotive to patriotic

Send my logo out for bid and chose a bidder this morning

Delivery on that will be today or tomorrow

Once I get 1,000 followers I can monetize and start pushing the logo on products that I want to move. Hats, T-shirt’s and stickers. From there see where I want to go as it develops.

#11,408 ·
#11,410 ·
Well I started an Instagram brand

nordic_patriot

Nordic Patriot (c)

Nordic due to my reddish beard and heritage patriot to pay homage for my background and love of country.

Focused on automotive to patriotic

Send my logo out for bid and chose a bidder this morning

Delivery on that will be today or tomorrow

Once I get 1,000 followers I can monetize and start pushing the logo on products that I want to move. Hats, T-shirt’s and stickers. From there see where I want to go as it develops.
That's really cool! We've been working towards starting a YouTube channel. We're still a ways off, but that's partly because we want to do it right (quality videos, good information, consistent videos, and staying true to our brand/message). We'll see what happens, but keep me posted on your gig.

Reactions: NordicNevs
#11,411 ·
That's really cool! We've been working towards starting a YouTube channel. We're still a ways off, but that's partly because we want to do it right (quality videos, good information, consistent videos, and staying true to our brand/message). We'll see what happens, but keep me posted on your gig.

Said to hell with it and started it.

Should be getting my GoPro sooner or later and then I can shoot video as well. Most of Instagram is on the phone so it’s handy.

I’ll be sure to let you know and keep you in the loop. A like and share and follow would help out a lot. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

#11,412 ·
Said to hell with it and started it.
I don't blame ya.

Should be getting my GoPro sooner or later and then I can shoot video as well. Most of Instagram is on the phone so it’s handy.
Out of curiosity, why did you choose the GoPro?

I’ll be sure to let you know and keep you in the loop. A like and share and follow would help out a lot. [emoji1303][emoji1303]
I currently do not have an Instagram account. If I start one, I'm trying to decide if I want a personal Instagram profile or business Instagram account. I'll be sure to be a follower of nordic_patriot, though.

#11,413 ·
Out of curiosity, why did you choose the GoPro?

It was the number 3 top camera for blogging. The Hero7 has Inherent stability, multitude of accessories, robust design to include water shots etc, shoots in 4K, streams on WiFi and has Bluetooth for accessory speakers etc. can take photos as well.

Here is a photo I took today while I was playing with my camera settings on my iPhone

It’s a faded side angle grill shot which I though was neat. I’ll post my other photos after I post on my account but I have a few others along those lines.

#11,414 ·
It was the number 3 top camera for blogging. The Hero7 has Inherent stability, multitude of accessories, robust design to include water shots etc, shoots in 4K, streams on WiFi and has Bluetooth for accessory speakers etc. can take photos as well.
Those are all very good reasons. A few of my favorite YouTube channels use the GoPro and a host of other cameras.

I like the cameras that have the ability to focus on a target and will rotate with the target's movement.

There's no perfect camera. You need a variety of cameras to make good videos.

We have a Canon Rebel that we use for still photos, but it also has a video feature. We'll definitely use that on a tripod.

Here is a photo I took today while I was playing with my camera settings on my iPhone

It’s a faded side angle grill shot which I though was neat. I’ll post my other photos after I post on my account but I have a few others along those lines.
The iPhone and Android can take some really good photos and videos. I'm wanting to upgrade my S7 for the new S10. Samsung and T-Mobile are offering good money for trade-ins, so I might take a look sometime this summer.

My wife uses her tablet more than her laptop, so I might encourage her to upgrade to a new tablet. Tablets can also be helpful for video filming.

Our technology is starting to get old. Her tablet is 4 years old, and her laptop is 9 years old, and her S7 is 3.5 years old. My laptop is 4 years old and my S7 is 3.5 years old.

#11,415 ·
We have a Canon Rebel that we use for still photos, but it also has a video feature.
So do I, but I didn't realize that it's still legal to use a camera to take photos with.

Then again, I have never tried calling anyone with my Canon, so maybe they aren't as good as I thought.

#11,416 ·
So do I, but I didn't realize that it's still legal to use a camera to take photos with.
Camera sales have dropped over the last 5 years. These new smartphones are amazing.

Then again, I have never tried calling anyone with my Canon, so maybe they aren't as good as I thought.
For a designated camera, the Canon Rebel is tough to beat. We've used it for putting high quality photos on a website and for personal use. My goal, someday, is to put the images on large canvas. I always thought it would be neat to decorate my house with my own photography. And who knows, I might sell a few.

#11,417 ·
Camera sales have dropped over the last 5 years. These new smartphones are amazing.
I'm sure the sales have dropped. As has the quality of photos.

But using the right tool for the job apparently isn't as important as being able to broadcast having your legs waxed in real time, or whatever politicians and others decide to put out there for everybody to enjoy these days.

#11,418 ·
I'm sure the sales have dropped.
The DSLR, at least the last time I checked, was going to be better quality in photo and video. The smartphone doesn't have the range of color or image quality, but it's still pretty impressive.