Melted headlight wiring/switch fix - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
General Tech Articles Common Technical articles/writeups pretaining to all vintages of our beloved Dodge/Cummins trucks...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Melted headlight wiring/switch fix

Okay so i have had to do this on 3 trucks a 1993,1992, and a 1998. It stresses me to death everytime but i found with a little thinking and paitence there is a much easier cost and time effective trick. All 2002 and older cummins have a headlight point switch. There are about 9 spade connections. In most of all headlight switch failures is caused from the switch going bad causing a short which then makes heat and melts the plastic. Your first though is shux! Most people will say okay go snip a wiring harness off a scrap truck and order a new switch. By the time thats all done you 50$ in and all kinds of butt connectors. After some thought and really looking at things. The wiring harness that all your headlight leads and your mains run to which is a black plastic piece that has 5 blue wires with are your direct wires to the light and you have your 4 green wires which are your constants. Usualy the failure or melting spot is around one of the directs. Instead of replacing the whole pony tail if you look closely the black plastic piece is just a holder and orgaizer for all the wires that have female spade ends on them so its very easy to switch your light switches. On top of the pony tail is a white piece that holds the female spades on all the wires in there set whole. If you pop the piece out which is easy just take a flat head screwdriver and work your way around and it just pops out. Once that is off you can see a little better view of the female spades. Now the only thing holding your female spades in is a little clip inside each hole that you cant see. The most organized way to do this is is to pop one wire out at a time and plug it into the new switch. Note (IF ANY FEMALE SPADE TERMINALS ARE DAMAGED FROM HEAT NO NEED TO WORRY JUST GET A NEW CONNECTER AND CRIMP IT ON) . Now once you have the switches by eachother and ready start with your blue wires. Just take a flat head screw driver and push from bottom and the wires with the spades perfectly intact will pop out. Then just plug it right into your new switch. Repeat that process one by one until they are all done. Now that you have all your wires reconnected it should work just fine. Also another good thing is if you do have another wire melt maybe cause of your gauge lights are hooked to it or what not. It wont melt the switch at all . It just melets the very tip of the wire. Mean you just get your switch out and just crimp a new female spade and bam your back in buisness.Here are some photos to help visualize.On the left of the picture is the wiring harness that is damaged with the white piece still on. These pictures are from my 1998 but its all the same down to the first gens.

2010 Laramie Mega, 1998.5 Heavy Hauler,1993 W350,1993 D350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,395 Posts
I get where you are coming from, but an even better solution is to utilize relays, and never bring the load into the cab and through the switch in the first place. Your head lights will be brighter too.

Custom pinstriped Power Wheel. I started out with very little... I still have most of it. Feel free to PM me anytime.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shainer For This Useful Post:
9297oldram (09-23-2012)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Ya but this was the most time effectivee fix and could be done in a reall need of some light. But you got a good idea too

2010 Laramie Mega, 1998.5 Heavy Hauler,1993 W350,1993 D350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
im with shainer, using relays all but eliminates in cab melt downs, and you can hd harness kits with relays in them pretty cheap like 20$ just my opinion

2006 rclb 4x4
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,311 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
There was a recall if the connector was actually melted on the second gen trucks for what it is worth

Back in the common snail game. 03 SO 2wd 530,000 miles and counting.
11 3500 Laramie DRW 2wd deep forest green pearl
Friends don't let friends buy VP trucks....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM

I have a 96 and have replaced the switch 3 times, the dealer says "There is NO recall on this part." I'm thinking of putting realys between the switch and the fogs and running lights.

96 2500 4X4 extended cab long bed 5 speed, BHAF, 4K GSK, #100 plate,4" turbo back MBRP, 17" wheels,KDP fix, gauges, Con O clutch, Prime Lok, BD Super B, ATS exhaust manifold.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 01:56 PM

Thanked 2,178 Times in 2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr45 View Post
I have a 96 and have replaced the switch 3 times, the dealer says "There is NO recall on this part." I'm thinking of putting realys between the switch and the fogs and running lights.
Relays will fix your problem and should make the lights brighter as long as you use a big enough gauge of wire.

84 K5 Blazer 97 12v, 47re with E-TransControl, Dodge Dana 60 with free spin hubs, Dana 70, B&M Mega shifter

96 F350 SC dually zf5, 4x4, 92 Cummins, THD 5x12's, THD fuel pin, THD HVLP with adjustable fuel pressure mod, WM, h1c 60/60/12cm WG wired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode