New build, am I creating too much work for myself again? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New build, am I creating too much work for myself again?

Well here it goes. I'm starting to build my dream truck! I bought a '96 3500 12valve CTD 4X4 ECLB with a 10' steel flat bed a Tommy gate and an NV4500 disassembled literally in a bucket for $3000 a little over a year ago. This is not even close to my dream truck but it's got some good parts and what the heck. I thought it was a deal.
I want a 12v QCSB 4X4 with a 47RH. I did some wheeling and dealing getting parts for another truck I had and ended up with a '99 QC cab basically free. Oh yeah I live in Arizona now so everything I'm playing with here is COMPLETELY RUST FREE!!!
I was rebuilding my NV and getting ready to install it when I ran across another deal, I'm trading my NV4500 and all of the swap parts for a 47RH from a 94 and all the swap parts. WooHoo I thought I did good. I have the engine trans and cab I want but the truck is still too long.
Tonight I bought a wrecked 99 QCSB 4X4 CTD for a great price. The cab is trashed and front fenders aren't that great, DON'T CARE!
To get what I actually want I will use the '96 front clip,12v engine, '94 47RH trans (still gonna have to mess with a rear drive shaft), the "spare" '99 cab and drivers door and the frame,suspension,bed and 3 doors from the wrecked '99 truck. Even the interior is decent accept the dash (I know big surprise). This will all be great.
Now the dilemmas, I'll have alot of great parts left over so, do I?
1. Build a truck and sell it or,
2 . Part it out or......
3. Build a 24valve rock crawler?
WIRING? I want the '99 to be top notch and it's wiring will be the most important thing. How big a deal will this be?
If I build a truck to sell I don't want it to be cobbed, my name on it means alot to me. Also if I build a truck to sell will I be creating a wiring nightmare by making the '96 into a 24 valve 47RE? I don't want to work my tale off to build a truck and get the same money as if I part it out either.
I'd love to build it into a rock crawler but... time, energy, money,... yep I'm short on all three. The wife probably won't think this is as good of an idea as I do either.
Why can't I be satisfied just buying a truck like "normal" person?
Sorry so long winded I'm just excited. I have missed my last CTD for a long time and I've been looking for just this frame for a year.

Project: 98.5 QCSB 4X4, '96 12 valve, P-Pump, '94 47RH,
'99 cab, '96 front clip.
Donor '96 3500 4X4 EC, Flat bed Dually, NV4500 to 47RH swapped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode