New here and dony know where to post... need help with my truck - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New here and dony know where to post... need help with my truck

2004 Dodge Ram diesel 4x4 wont start huge problems.... need help
Hi everybody.... this is my first dodge truck and I'm having huge problems. It's a 2004 dodge ram diesel 4x4. I just bought this truck and found out that the guy who sold it to me recently got it at an auction. When I bought it it drove and started fine. It shifted fine, no problems... it had high miles, 333000 but it all worked. The only problem was the lamp out light was on and the drivers side low beam didnt work.

I have only.driven this thing about 200 miles. The first few days it started fine but I hardly moved it. I went to get fuel.and saw a huge something shoved int he fuel tank spout. I got pliers and fished that out... it was a giant wooden stake that looked like a huge, nine inch crayon. I got fuel and everything was ok but still had not driven much. THE NEXT MORNING THE TRUCK DID NOT WAMT TO START UP. I had to crank it like hell and push the pedal and play around before it fired up. I thought at first it was fuel related so I changed the fuel filter I changed fuel at this point. That seemed to help it start better the next morning so We went to go drive the truck on its first trip and we ran into first big problem. We drove about 50 miles got off freeway and entered a state park.... we were sorta coasting along looking at the sights and I pushed on the gas peddle to go faster and that's when the truck lost all power The check engine light came on and after a few seconds of me pushing on the pedal and wondering what was happening I regained power but the engine light was on. I pulled over and shut.off and restarted the truck a few times. It started fine but check engine light remaind on. I drove the truck back home. It seemed to drive fine but the light was on the entire way. I shut.it off out front and let it sit a little. I went back out front and tried to.start it... it took a little cranking but fired up.and the light.was off.

A few days later I drove it about 20 miles... we were sitting at a red light and as I tried to go when.the light.turned green..... same problem. Lost all power, the light came back on. I got the truck to auto zone and they had a list of code that I will list below. It basically said it was bad connections to the computer or a bad co.puter. the guy at autozone was not sure about anything. I got it home and that's when the new problem of the truck not starting at all happened. I went outside, tried starting it and it just cranks and cranks... I called a mobile desiel guy. He scanned it with his computer.... the check engine light went out by now. His scanner says alot about bad connections but it also shows totally different mileage than what reads inside the truck. His scanner shows 177000 miles, the truk shows 333000.

He got the truck started and I took it to his shop. He screwed with it for a few days and ended up replacing a injector. I picked it up and drove it about an hour and parked it... I went out to start it in the mlm morning and..... wont start only cranks but wont turn over. He came.out.here.again, got it running and I drove it to his shop. Now its sitting there dead and wont start. He thinks it could be.another.injector but it wont fire up even if the injector is blocked.

There is one more weird problem and idk if this is what's causing everything. Back at autozone there tests showed a bad connect or problem with the engine communicating with the computer.... I also have a problem with the drivers side low beam headlight now working. I changed the bulb but nothing. I looked into that and it looks like this is a bad, common problem with these trucks and the fix is replacing the entire fuse box. Everywhere on the net talks about these boxes being pulled of and really bad. Now..... can this box be causing all my problems. The entire not starting thing, the weird loss of power at random times the check engine light coming on and off, my drivers side low beam not working. Could this box be causing all of this? I put my entire saving into this truck... I have my home sitting in the bed... a very small camper. I'm staying with my parents right now but my life rests in this truck.and I'm running out of money and starting to get worried. The truck ran fine..... it runs fine when they do get it.started, unless it does the loss of power thing. Someone please help.... running out of ideas, time and money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
This is where you'd wanna post: https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/

Sounds like there's deep problems with this one...

2006 RAM 3500 DRW 6 speed 4WD QCLB: unit bearing delete, metric delete, all tow no go.
1991 W350 SRW auto 4WD RCLB: Fleetjunk delete, Garmon trans, NASTRUCK
Just say no to metric Daimler-Fiat
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Get it running, sell it, buy a gasser. Can get much better truck for the same money.
Don't see a code list posted, but it could be simple to very expensive.
The kicker with these old diesels that have an unknown and likely sordid history (like the one you bought), is it's really easy to dump as much as the truck is worth, into it and then you still have an old bomber with some new parts. More of a vicious cycle with high $ parts.
Having a common rail diesel and not much money or knowledge is a bad combination, unfortunately.
Might be a good truck once you get it sorted out though. Can't tell much from the internet, so don't take what I said totally to heart, but look at it in that light and decide if its a good idea to keep it or not.
Good luck man.

Things to check for:
Fuel leaks
Lift pump working/pressure

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode