End of Days Near for Internal Combustion? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,368 Times in 796 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
End of Days Near for Internal Combustion?

Daimler stops developing internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars

https://electrek.co/2019/09/19/daiml...electric-cars/

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Daimler stops developing internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars

https://electrek.co/2019/09/19/daiml...electric-cars/
A little premature to make that leap. Those are both German automakers. Germany, and to a large extent Europe in general, are far more spring loaded toward electric than the US.

Germany has other political things going on too which are driving this.

I don’t think we are there yet on this side of the Atlantic.
Jimmy N. likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

16 3500 SRW RCLB G56 4x4- Thuren/Carli/Fox - 285 75/18 Cooper AT3s; FTE / Aero Turbine / ARP / Anarchy / Valair / Pusher / GDP she gone- totaled—waiting on my 19 to be delivered

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 PM
Diesel Freak

Electrek is a website that pushes the electric car. They've been posting things like this for awhile...

With the hazards and pollution of lithium battery production, I don't really think battery powered electrics are the future. We need something like hydrogen.

Uh... I think I drive a 6.7 Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Diesel Freak

Electric is not perfect but it’s definitely the next power source for cars in the foreseeable future. Accounting for battery pollution and energy production, the epa has charts out there to show that electric cars like Tesla get an equivalent 90-100 mpg.

Hydrogen is cool but it is not nearly as efficient as electric motor as there is a lot of energy loss in the process.

Infrastructure will change to accommodate ev and battery charge times will decrease making it more and more viable. I really like the ic but I agree their days are numbered when it comes to cars and trucks.

'19 Mega Cab 3500 HO SRW 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to Regal2800 For This Useful Post:
vreihen (09-29-2019)
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,368 Times in 796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsturbofreak View Post
Electrek is a website that pushes the electric car. They've been posting things like this for awhile...

With the hazards and pollution of lithium battery production, I don't really think battery powered electrics are the future. We need something like hydrogen.
The website is irrelevant, I was just posting it because the news is that Daimler Chrysler will no longer be developing IC engines. That's a pretty big step, in my opinion.

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold
'92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
pretty cool when your electricity is produced by a coal burning power plant.
so therefore, you have a coal burning tesla
cwendel and Jimmy N. like this.

'18 3500 Mega Aisin, Carli suspended

’13 3500 CCLB Aisin, Carli suspended

'11 2500 Mega, Carli suspended
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Diesel Head

One of these days the proponents of electric cars will have to realize that not everybody lives in a city. And that even those who do leave it on occasion.

It would be a massive undertaking to create the necessary infrastructure (not that it doesn't need an upgrade as it is) before electric cars would be even remotely feasible in large parts of the country.

And then there's that little problem with where the power is coming from in the first place.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
One of these days the proponents of electric cars will have to realize that not everybody lives in a city. And that even those who do leave it on occasion.

It would be a massive undertaking to create the necessary infrastructure (not that it doesn't need an upgrade as it is) before electric cars would be even remotely feasible in large parts of the country.

And then there's that little problem with where the power is coming from in the first place.
That's why I say Lithium battery EVs are not the future. Great for cities, bad for everyone else outside the city. We can still use electrical motors, but we need an alternate "fuel" to power them.
Jimmy N. likes this.

Uh... I think I drive a 6.7 Cummings
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
I think the automotive industry as a whole will move toward electric vehicles that use a common battery type and the installation of that battery will be such that it allows for quick change capabilities so that rather than having to plug in for hours to recharge one would simply drive into a refit station where the entire battery could be changed out by a robot in less time than it takes to refuel today. Batteries would be cleaned, tested and recharged robotically as well, then put in stock for reuse. Batteries that test bad would be returned to a recycling/rebuilding center to be remanufactured. This whole scenario is already in use on a trial basis in China!

2015 Ram Laramie CC 2500 4x4 CTD auto in Western Brown
Mods: Undercover Elite hard tonneau, Bedrug, LED tail light strip, Amp power step, AAM finned dif cover, back seat mod, cabin air filter added
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Diesel Head

Friends of mine are coming to visit from SoCal soon. They could technically use an electric car there.

Let's say they had one. How long would it take them to traverse the 1,000 miles to the east, mostly along the relatively desolate I-40, then through far more desolate parts away, from the interstate?

In comparison, I've done that stretch in 12 hours (wasn't towing) with two fuel stops. If my friend didn't have his wife with him, he'd probably get here in 14 or so.

I don't know how long it would take with an electric car, but probably several days. And that would be with careful planning.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:15 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
...so that rather than having to plug in for hours to recharge one would simply drive into a refit station where the entire battery could be changed out by a robot in less time than it takes to refuel today.
That could work...if we had more of those refit stations than we have gas stations now.
Or if the range those batteries could provide would be as good or better than what current vehicles can achieve.

post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Diesel Freak

Daimler doesn't say they're no longer developing IC engines. They say they're not developing fundamentally new engine families. The life cycle of the existing designs will support incremental improvements for decades to come. As noted, there's only so much we can do with the basic mechanicals. I imagine tweaks to combustion chamber, valve, and cam design will continue furiously for just as long, to support.....

Development of ever-more-efficient intake, induction, exhaust, and ignition control systems is still going strong everywhere. That's what my employer does. There's no indication that marine, heavy truck, OTR, off-highway, or equipment engines will vanish. Development continues furiously -- always aimed at improving efficiency, specific power, and emissions control. No doubt the development of better engine management systems for smaller engines will continue as well.

Remember that the single greatest reason fuel-burning engines make poisons and other non-optimum by-products is the process regime transitions as RPMs change. Support for a range of RPMs is nothing but compromise. Once the need to run at anything other than a single, optimally efficient speed is gone, it's possible to do things with fine-tuning an engine that are totally impossible when the engine is connected to the wheels, no matter how many gears there are. What do you do with that single RPM, super-efficient engine?

You hook it up to a super-efficient generator that also wants to run at the one single speed and you make electricity.

I believe fuel-burning engines will exist as the alternate -- and long range -- recharging system components of hybrids until such time as a system for storing energy at substantially higher -- read, orders of magnitude higher -- densities is found. And that, unfortunately, is still science fiction.

JMHO
Oz_Ram and Jimmy N. like this.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode