End of Days Near for Internal Combustion? - Page 8 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #85 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:20 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,546 Times in 2,607 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I hope you weren't used commercial weed killer or other chemicals in that sprayer... not green at all.

Jimmy N. likes this.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #86 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:27 PM
Diesel Head

It's supposedly a mix of unicorn bone marrow and spotted owl livers. Good at killing weeds, though.
the man in black likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #87 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:29 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,546 Times in 2,607 Posts
That's good. All natural organic weed killer there.
Jimmy N. likes this.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #88 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Cummins Nut

The new ev you mentioned has around a 150kW electric motor and a 64kWh 300 KM battery.

Assuming you charge at least every other day at home, with at least a 32A/ 7.4kW charging station, wondering what the total annual electric consumption is for one car? Or do you charge with a standard outlet?

Can solar (and solar subsidies resold back to grid) cover the costs?

To me, the math that matters is cost of kWh in electricity, not savings from gas. Remember, the newest gas engines in compact cars get incredible mileage. The new Corolla alone claims 32/42.
Jimmy N. likes this.

2015 SLT 3500 CC 68/3.42 SRW Ashtray Delete / EVIC Metric System Deletes 4X4 Bright White with tongue firmly in cheek
post #89 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:35 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
With about $1,200 worth of off-grid solar panels, I could potentially be driving to work for free for the remainder of my life.

I personally would not sweat electricity rates going up 400+% due to EV demands, since residential rooftop solar and utility-scale solar farms are going to keep the daytime costs in check. Of course, I wouldn't want to sign up for a smart meter with variable pricing based on the time-of-use, since those promotional "charge at night" rates they are offering today will likely go through the roof due to the increased demand when the sun is down.....
Sorry!! ^^^^^ See my last post for an actual question!

2015 SLT 3500 CC 68/3.42 SRW Ashtray Delete / EVIC Metric System Deletes 4X4 Bright White with tongue firmly in cheek
post #90 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:43 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,115 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drle View Post
The new ev you mentioned has around a 150kW electric motor and a 64kWh 300 KM battery.
My DW's Kia EV actually has a published 385 km range in standard mode, and it is claiming almost 475 km in Eco mode.

Quote:
Assuming you charge at least every other day at home, with at least a 32A/ 7.4kW charging station, wondering what the total annual electric consumption is for one car? Or do you charge with a standard outlet?
She uses our smart 230V/32A Level 2 EVSE (charger) to charge it, and the EVSE claims that she is putting 52 kWh into it every other day for 302 km of commuting. Assuming no loss of range in the winter (which is a fallacy), it is using about 6,300 kWh/year for commuting...which is less than $1,000 at our current electric rate. In reality, running the heater and lost range in the winter will probably push it up to 7,500-8,000 kWh from my guestimates. Both of our vehicles use heat pumps and not resistance heating, so it shouldn't be as big of a hit as the Nissan Leaf experiences in the winter.

I charge my i3 on a wall outlet every other night, since it only has a 132 km battery range and can easily charge overnight on the slower 120V Level 1 charger.

Quote:
Can solar (and solar subsidies resold back to grid) cover the costs?
With our average of 31 kWh/day in EV power usage for commuting, we would need 5,000 watts of panels on a 6-hour sun day. I only have room for 3,000 watts of solar panels, and of course those panels cost money to purchase.

At the moment, the county where my DW works has free EV chargers at every park and county office paid for by their tourism department. No guarantee that they will be free forever, but for the next few years her commuting energy expenses could essentially be zero if she used them instead of charging at home.

NY State also has a grant program that pays employers $4,000/plug for every EV charger they install for employee use. I'm working with my employer now to install a few, not that my car's $11/month electric use is a huge expense.

Quote:
To me, the math that matters is cost of kWh in electricity, not savings from gas. Remember, the newest gas engines in compact cars get incredible mileage. The new Corolla alone claims 32/42.
Remember to factor in maintenance costs, like oil/fluid changes, tuneups, etc.

The only scheduled maintenance on my EV according to BMW is a brake fluid flush every two years, which is more important in an EV since the use of regen braking prevents the water from being boiled out of the fluid from braking heat.

The only concern with EV life is battery aging. BMW gives an 8 year, unlimited warranty mileage warranty on the traction batteries, guaranteeing that they will have at least 70% of their original capacity or they will be replaced. Kia has an 8/100K mile warranty on their batteries, and Kia has an "unlimited" lifetime warranty on their battery packs (same ones used in the Kia). I'm not losing any sleep over battery life.....

2006 Ram 2500 SLT QCSB, 4x4, 6-speed G56 manual, VDO blower motor upgrade, panic button and recirc door delete mods, Diamond Eye 4" stainless cat-back exhaust, Tuson DirecLink OBD-II trailer brake controller, #JustSayNoToProdigyP3, #MirrorsDown
post #91 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:56 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
At the moment, the county where my DW works has free EV chargers at every park and county office paid for by their tourism department. No guarantee that they will be free forever...
They're not free now.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #92 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:18 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
The only concern with EV life is battery aging. BMW gives an 8 year, unlimited warranty mileage warranty on the traction batteries, guaranteeing that they will have at least 70% of their original capacity or they will be replaced. Kia has an 8/100K mile warranty on their batteries, and Kia has an "unlimited" lifetime warranty on their battery packs (same ones used in the Kia). I'm not losing any sleep over battery life.....
What is Kia's warranty period for the electric motor?

post #93 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:36 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
They should re think the name KIA..."Killed In Action"lol

03 QCLB- 19 to 25 mpg with electric parts, and engine mods....
post #94 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,115 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
They're not free now.
Sure it is. We don't live in or pay taxes in that county, and the free chargers are a 100% county initiative to increase eco-tourism among the hippies heading to Woodstock and New Paltz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drle View Post
What is Kia's warranty period for the electric motor?
I believe that it is covered under the 10/100K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. She is driving it over 28K miles (45 K km) per year, so the warranty will probably be over before the last payment is made. In general, EV motor failures to date are not a huge problem. Given that it uses a shared motor/battery system with Hyundai, I'd imagine that the corporation would do a good-will replacement just to tear it down and see why it failed.....

2006 Ram 2500 SLT QCSB, 4x4, 6-speed G56 manual, VDO blower motor upgrade, panic button and recirc door delete mods, Diamond Eye 4" stainless cat-back exhaust, Tuson DirecLink OBD-II trailer brake controller, #JustSayNoToProdigyP3, #MirrorsDown
post #95 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Time to Make Greenland Great Again, and send little Thunberg to mining school as a jail sentence.

R12.5z in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & SAE-20078.5z all year.
post #96 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Im in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man in black View Post
That's not green enough. Just send a power surge through the wires and zap people. Electricity is green after all.
Im, in on the power surge. Im getting board in retirement.
the man in black and Jimmy N. like this.

2015 2 door 4x4 tradesman.
Travel full time.
Retired lineman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode