End of Days Near for Internal Combustion? - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGrabber View Post
Performance wise, the best ive understood, it will be a mix of hellcat/demon with a hybrid twist..
While a Demon, without the optional passenger seat and such, isn't exactly light, a Hellcat or Redeye is even heavier.
Add a motor or two, and a battery, and it'd be heavier yet.

Will the extra power help with acceleration? I'm sure it will. But performance should also include being able to stop, and go around corners fast.

Weight is a proven performance killer, and I'm surprised that the current versions do as well as they do while hauling all that mass.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:17 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsturbofreak View Post
I’ve done a road trip in my father's Model X 75D. 1100 miles. 9-10 stops. Avg. 1hr 20min charging. This is from Naples to Houston, so I75 and I10. It takes forever, and the only thing that makes it worthwhile is autopilot.

I’ll take my truck and bed tank any day. 1300 mile range ftw.

My buddy's wife has a Model S 75D. my buddy hates driving it anywhere but in town because of the lack of mileage. He lives in the mountains and cannot drive more that 120 miles without it needing a charge. it is a super pain in the rear. he drives an F250 with a Powerstroke

it is sure fun to drive though
cumminsturbofreak likes this.

'18 3500 Mega Aisin, Carli suspended
’13 3500 CCLB Aisin, Carli suspended
'11 2500 Mega, Carli suspended
post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Cummins Fan

One thing rarely mentioned in the push for electric adoption is the bottleneck of rare earth minerals like lithium and cobalt required to make batteries. These elements are finite resources and there frankly is not enough to support a full transition to entirely electric transportation. You think oil is a limited resource, go try and find a lithium mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmy N. likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadfarminokie For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (09-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 12:20 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
reason enough for our gov to start a war with what ever country has the resources and minerals...
leadfarminokie likes this.

03 QCLB- 19 to 25 mpg with electric parts, and engine mods....
post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 01:13 AM
Cummins Nut

And the world will be waiting for you.

2015 SLT 3500 CC 68/3.42 SRW Ashtray Delete / EVIC Metric System Deletes 4X4 Bright White with tongue firmly in cheek
post #30 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:37 PM

1) It's IMPOSSIBLE for the industry to switch to 100% electric cars because there isn't enough natural resources in the world to make enough batteries and that is probably never going to change.
2) Prices on EV are too high comparing like vehicles, only well off people can afford them
3) Towing with EV is horrible, go look at the TFL guys on YouTube attempting to pull a 5000lb trailer with a Tesla ModelX, it's a horrible experience with a range of only 100 miles and not enough charging stations and having to disconnect the trailer or block chargers to charge. It's comical.

We have a long long ways to go before EV's can actually replace work trucks.
post #31 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Hydrogen power is a much better alternative, they've had pre production semi's in use for a while now, and they make double the power of gas, or diesel.

post #32 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:57 PM

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPeterson View Post
Daimler doesn't say they're no longer developing IC engines. They say they're not developing fundamentally new engine families. The life cycle of the existing designs will support incremental improvements for decades to come. As noted, there's only so much we can do with the basic mechanicals. I imagine tweaks to combustion chamber, valve, and cam design will continue furiously for just as long, to support.....

Development of ever-more-efficient intake, induction, exhaust, and ignition control systems is still going strong everywhere. That's what my employer does. There's no indication that marine, heavy truck, OTR, off-highway, or equipment engines will vanish. Development continues furiously -- always aimed at improving efficiency, specific power, and emissions control. No doubt the development of better engine management systems for smaller engines will continue as well.

Remember that the single greatest reason fuel-burning engines make poisons and other non-optimum by-products is the process regime transitions as RPMs change. Support for a range of RPMs is nothing but compromise. Once the need to run at anything other than a single, optimally efficient speed is gone, it's possible to do things with fine-tuning an engine that are totally impossible when the engine is connected to the wheels, no matter how many gears there are. What do you do with that single RPM, super-efficient engine?

You hook it up to a super-efficient generator that also wants to run at the one single speed and you make electricity.

I believe fuel-burning engines will exist as the alternate -- and long range -- recharging system components of hybrids until such time as a system for storing energy at substantially higher -- read, orders of magnitude higher -- densities is found. And that, unfortunately, is still science fiction.

JMHO
Well said and well founded.

Nathionwide transition to stand alone EV's is the wet dream of many. The same many who know nothing of thermodynamics who think windmills and solar power are viable. The same many who revile nuclear power.
Jimmy N. likes this.
post #33 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 PM
Cummins Fanatic

We'll all be long dead before the internal combustion engine is gone so who cares?
Jimmy N. and ploobr like this.

2017 4x4 2500
6.7 CTD 100% stock
33.700 miles
post #34 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:22 AM
CF Chapter President

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Here’s a good story.

Title: "California police officer must call off chase after Tesla patrol car's battery runs low."

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/califor...iYf1RqOWn1Fm1o
Gator1 likes this.

2015 - 3.0 Ecodiesel/Big Horn/1500/QCSB/4x4/8HP70
2019 - John Deere 1025R/120R Loader/260 Backhoe
2019 - Iron Bull/Equipment Trailer/83”x16'/10,000 GVWR
2018 - Iron Bull/Dump Trailer/6'x12'/10,000 GVWR
2016 - Arctic Fox/22G Travel Trailer/LP Cummins Onan Generator
Stihl saws - MS 271 Farm Boss, 034, HT 56 C-E
post #35 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post
Hydrogen power is a much better alternative, they've had pre production semi's in use for a while now, and they make double the power of gas, or diesel.
I think one of the things that will keep hydrogen relevant is the fact that wind turbines tend to produce energy when there's less demand (at night). Storing large quantities of wind energy produced at night is a big challenge. Using excess energy from wind turbines produced at night to produce hydrogen is one solution to the problem. What would we do with this hydrogen though? Would it make more sense to send that to gas power plants so daytime energy production is increased to make up for the reduced wind power production during the day or do we ship the fuel to filling stations instead?
post #36 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieDan View Post
I think one of the things that will keep hydrogen relevant is the fact that wind turbines tend to produce energy when there's less demand (at night). Storing large quantities of wind energy produced at night is a big challenge. Using excess energy from wind turbines produced at night to produce hydrogen is one solution to the problem. What would we do with this hydrogen though? Would it make more sense to send that to gas power plants so daytime energy production is increased to make up for the reduced wind power production during the day or do we ship the fuel to filling stations instead?
I don't understand the technology, and storage etc. But I just read another article and it seems I got my figures wrong. Apparently Hydrogen is 10X more energy than fossil fuels, and in a drag race pulling trailers the Hydrogen Semi was 2X as fast as the Diesel Semi. Pretty impressive!

The problem as I see it is and will always be how do we replace the lost revenue in tax dollars when one industry "OIL" shuts down there will be a multi Trillion dollar deficit in our budget.

Our Gov has to have a way to monitor/control the distribution of everything or they will not allow it to exist. IE Crack, and Cocaine are illegal and Booze is not. Why, because they can control the distribution and make money. The only difference between a crackhead and an Alcoholic is prison...

Last edited by Gator1; 09-28-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode