End of Days Near for Internal Combustion? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Figuring an average speed of 60mph thats 720 miles. If we use an average range of 400 miles per charge that gets them to your place with only 1 stop! Make the range 200 miles per charge and its 3 stops. Not that bad, really. What kills it is the recharging time. At 2 hours per recharge (I'm guessing, I really don't know how long it takes), well, you can do the math.

2015 Ram Laramie CC 2500 4x4 CTD auto in Western Brown
Mods: Undercover Elite hard tonneau, Bedrug, LED tail light strip, Amp power step, AAM finned dif cover, back seat mod, cabin air filter added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
One of these days the proponents of electric cars will have to realize that not everybody lives in a city. And that even those who do leave it on occasion.

It would be a massive undertaking to create the necessary infrastructure (not that it doesn't need an upgrade as it is) before electric cars would be even remotely feasible in large parts of the country.

And then there's that little problem with where the power is coming from in the first place.
I understand what you are saying and I agree the ev still has issues. One of the biggest r mileage and charge times. As for being in remote areas of the country, so long as you have access to gas stations in the near future you will have accesss to charge stations. Adding charge stations to any gas station is fairly easy and you will increasingly see them pop up.

'19 Mega Cab 3500 HO SRW 4x4
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Diesel Freak

Iíve done a road trip in my father's Model X 75D. 1100 miles. 9-10 stops. Avg. 1hr 20min charging. This is from Naples to Houston, so I75 and I10. It takes forever, and the only thing that makes it worthwhile is autopilot.

Iíll take my truck and bed tank any day. 1300 mile range ftw.
Jimmy N. and ploobr like this.

Ordered: 2020 Ram 3500 Longhorn Aisin
FCA Buyback: 2019 Ram 3500 68rfe
Old Reliable: 2004.0 3500 2WD Allison 1000 6 speed Swap, 4th Gen Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Buyer of stuff..with OPM

Looking back at Chrsyler/FCA's history of great business decisions and how they have played out......the internal combustion engine people are probably sleeping a little better these days knowing this.......

Sam

2016 3500 Laramie SRW 4x4 CC LB ,Aisin,white w/brn-beige,B&W TOB/companion built 9/2015
Owned and gone, 1991 d250... 2001.5 2500qc...2014 3500 FCA buyback
Drivin' a Dodge Cummins since 1991.......
2008 Thor jazz 2870UK 5er....and 3 dogs.....
post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Diesel Head

internal combustion engines have not changed since their inception. Pistons go up and down valves open and close.
The have added computers, redesigned fuel systems but the basic engine is the same.

2002 2500 Quadcab LB 4X4 NV5600 HO stock
2012 3500 SRW Crewcab LWB 4X4 Auto 6.7 HO stock
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
Figuring an average speed of 60mph thats 720 miles. If we use an average range of 400 miles per charge that gets them to your place with only 1 stop! Make the range 200 miles per charge and its 3 stops. Not that bad, really. What kills it is the recharging time. At 2 hours per recharge (I'm guessing, I really don't know how long it takes), well, you can do the math.
I think you misunderstood my post. It's very close to 1,000 miles, and getting there in 12 hours requires much more than a 60 mph average.

With a 200 mile range that'd be five stops, or three with a 400 mile range. But the real issue is that there must be somewhere to perform that charge.
Just like with gas stations, there isn't always one when and where you need it.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
One of these days the proponents of electric cars will have to realize that not everybody lives in a city. And that even those who do leave it on occasion.

It would be a massive undertaking to create the necessary infrastructure (not that it doesn't need an upgrade as it is) before electric cars would be even remotely feasible in large parts of the country.

And then there's that little problem with where the power is coming from in the first place.
No, they won't. But the market will. Our way of life simply can't exist without mobility.

I really, really believe we'll see a shift in the underlying structure of our vehicle mix. I believe urban areas will see more and more pure electrics, where it makes sense, and everyone else will shift to more and more efficient hybrids. The beauty of a hybrid is that it can work just like an EV for very short runs, with the engine only running when it's needed. This is what makes plug-in hybrids so attractive: as social engineering drives the cost of fuel up, those plug-in hybrid drivers will be strongly incentivized to pump joules instead of gallons. The politics will be complex. I wouldn't be surprised to see the cost of fuel move towards vastly different price points, in and near urban centers vs. out in the middle of the country on I-10 or 40.

Interesting times, in a Chinese curse kind of way.....

JMHO
Oz_Ram likes this.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
internal combustion engines have not changed since their inception. Pistons go up and down valves open and close.
The have added computers, redesigned fuel systems but the basic engine is the same.
Ah, but tweaks to the basic mechanicals along with the computers -- and associated actuators and processes -- have increased specific power by two to three orders of magnitude, decreased undesirable emissions by four to five orders of magnitude, and can enhance efficiency by one or two orders of magnitude! The basic concept is the same, but every blessed detail, material, and feature is a product of technology a hundred and fifty years in the making!

Just imagine how long it might take to explain everything about a modern engine to Nikolaus Otto....
Jimmy N. likes this.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #21 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Cummins Nut

Hybrids are the only real logical/practical answer. Be it as a hybrid, power multiplication , power assistance, or all three. Dodge/Ram/ FCA already announced a year or two ago that lots of positive changes are in the near future for not only efficiency but for power and performance as well. None of this is new news..

2019 2500 4x4 Mega Laramie
2005 3500 4x4 QC 5600, 72 RoadRunner 440 4spd
71 Challenger R/T 440-6, 14 Jeep SRT
post #22 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Cummins Fanatic

My questions is how is the electrical grid going to support ever increasing electricity demand? Some Places have had rolling black/ brown outs for years because the electricity demand could not be supported. Another concern is the thought of electric prices once everyone is completely dependent on electricity. Also the control over everything once in place. People scream about "big oil" just wait until this is fully implemented. I'm sure government will still need more taxes after they tax the hell out of our electricity as well.
.44mag and Jimmy N. like this.

07 cclb 2500, 5.9, auto, AFE CAI, 4" aero exhaust, AD-150, Torklift superhitch, Isspro ev2 gauges, Firepunk comp1 built and Efilive tuned by me.
post #23 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGrabber View Post
Dodge/Ram/ FCA already announced a year or two ago that lots of positive changes are in the near future for not only efficiency but for power and performance as well.
Oh, I can't wait to trade in my Challenger on a new one, that sounds like...a Tesla?

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #24 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Oh, I can't wait to trade in my Challenger on a new one, that sounds like...a Tesla?
Performance wise, the best ive understood, it will be a mix of hellcat/demon with a hybrid twist.. Angel is the hint theyve given out in some commercials.
There was someone disecting the hints on their youtube channel but havnt seen any in a while. The hints also include/speculate HD truck hints.

2019 2500 4x4 Mega Laramie
2005 3500 4x4 QC 5600, 72 RoadRunner 440 4spd
71 Challenger R/T 440-6, 14 Jeep SRT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode