Intermittent Head Light Problem
Challenge: Keeping the headlamps on. Safety Issue - Need Help.
1998.5 2500 4X4 Quad Cab SLT; 5.9L (360 C.I.) ISB 24V Cummins; 47RE; Stock (no fog lights). 170K (Use: farming/utility).
Problem: Headlamps (low and/or high beam), and dashboard lights cut-off intermittently.
-- Actuating the headlamp switch (push-pull) restores the lights immediately.
Note: Operate with "headlights on for safety" at all times when on roadways.
(1) Checked multiple grounds (clean and tight);
(2) Checked fuses;
(3) Checked output from generator (steady - approx. 14.5 with "no load"; batteries - new 6/18);
(4) Checked circuits (verified continuity and resistance);
(5) Replaced Column Mounted Multifunction Switch (high beam to low "sticking");
(6) Replaced "Headlamp/Security" Relay;
(7) Replaced Headlamp/Dashboard Combination Switch (Replaced 22 months ago - original failed (partially melted). Note: dashboard above switch - warm to touch.
Note: No DTCs set.
Next Action: considering replacing the Headlamp/Dashboard Combination Switch again. Perhaps the aftermarket replacement switch design is marginal/insufficiently robust to dissipate the heat generated from "continuous on-road use".
Speculation: a "CCD bus communication error" is occurring; pulse from PCM (?) to headlamp circuit may not yield the level of resistance required resulting in the "cut-off". Appreciate any advice to correct this major safety problem. jeepyr