Chicago 2011: Ram Heavy Duty Updates Bring Class-Leading Torque, Towing - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Cummins Forum News News and CF Staff Updates to the Members. Plans, site changes, things to look forward to, etc. Only staff may start new threads.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH64ID View Post
I still think they are going about the UREA wrong. At this point it's just a marketing scheme, but if they redid the entire emissions system to utilize UREA I think there would be some great improvements in mileage and reduced EGR. UREA isn't bad, but it is nice that GM and FURD are running it first to get the infrastructure up and running.
No offense but no urea would be a selling point for me. Thats just one less thing that you dont have to worry about..and from what i've heard about the urea injection for the chevy and ford you have to refill every 3-5000 miles why would you want to service your truck that quickly especially when we are getting upwards of 10k mile oil changes. And urea isnt exactly the cheapest thing to be putting in them. I mean diesel prices arent exactly the cheapest now anyways and cummins is the only option you have now that doesnt have urea. Now time will tell about the mpg factor for urea vs non urea; but, I dont think dodge would put something out that much more power and be terrible mileage. Time will tell..

07 5.9 MEGA straight pipe EFI by ANARCHY Isspro RP guage smoked pacer cab lights Built Tranny Traction Bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfc21 View Post
Top five reasons to love this article:

1. More Horsepower
2. More Torque
3. NO UREA
4. NO UREA
5. Did I mention NO UREA

Dont forget best looking too.

Im sold.... im getting tired of getting harrassed by cops for my truck so I think I'll get a 3500 dually, slap on some 22.5s, delete some poop and call it a day.

2005 Ram 2500 5.9L QC SB Laramie. More Mods Than The Truck Is Worth!
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L MC SB Laramie. Kelderman Air Ride. (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2012 Ram 3500 H.O. 6.7L MC SB Laramie. Carli goodies and American Force 22s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PUREVIL; 02-11-2011 at 02:38 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREVIL View Post
Dont forget best looking too.

Im sold.... im getting tired of getting harrassed by cops for my truck so I think I'll get a 3500 dually, slap on some 22.5s, delete some poop and call it a day.
I wish I could agree with you but I am still not sold on the redesigned front end. I like my 07.5 better. (But I hated the 06' front end when it came out to so give me time)

2007 Ram2500 Inferno Red ST Quad Cab, 6.7 DPF Delete Pipe, EFI Live AutoCal Lite, EGR Unplugged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Diesel Head

Guess Diesel Power will have to have another shoot out on I-70. On one hand I am glad they are being competitive, on the other hand, I am not looking forward to John Q. Public driving 30,000 pounds of truck and trailer.

1998 3500 4x4 5 speed reg cab dually 12valve
TST #10, ATS exhaust man, 5" turbo back exhaust twin 5" stacks, SB 13.5 clutch, BHAF, DDP 75 hp injectors, 3000gsk, timing set at 16
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sming250r View Post
No offense but no urea would be a selling point for me. Thats just one less thing that you dont have to worry about..and from what i've heard about the urea injection for the chevy and ford you have to refill every 3-5000 miles why would you want to service your truck that quickly especially when we are getting upwards of 10k mile oil changes. And urea isnt exactly the cheapest thing to be putting in them. I mean diesel prices arent exactly the cheapest now anyways and cummins is the only option you have now that doesnt have urea. Now time will tell about the mpg factor for urea vs non urea; but, I dont think dodge would put something out that much more power and be terrible mileage. Time will tell..
the new fords and gms are getting far better mileage than the 6.7 dodge

the urea is a big part of it

yes you have to pay for the urea so you have to factor that into the cost per mile
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Diesel Head

anyone else see "100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty on all 2011 engine and transmissions"

'02 Auto, s357/s475, 6x.013, Edge cs2 competition, DTT [email protected]
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Kansas Chapter VP

It sucks that you can't get a 6-speed with this engine and GVWR.... They almost got it perfect too!!

FOR SALE-Black 2005 Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 Laramie with '06 front end, NV5600 with Toxic Diesel Shift Knob, Valair Ceramic SIngle disc, Isspro Gauges: Fuel Pressure, EGT, Boost. Bully Dog Outlook, Smarty TNT-R, AirDog 150, 5" exhaust, K&N Air Filter, CFM Intake Horn, HID Headlights, Rear Air Bags, Metal Moto 951 wheels w/ Fierce Attitude MTs... More to come!!
2001 Ram 2500 aka Black Magic, RIP
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Cummins Nut

It's about friggin time... I was wondering how long us Dodge enthusiasts were going to have to live at the bottom of the heap for HD truck performance numbers. Either way I probably won't buy one brand spankin new, but if business is looking good I might grab an HO 2500 crew cab to tow my dyno with

Stan
94 CTD (for sale)
99 QCSB Sport... stock(ish)
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Cummins Nut

In my opinion all of the truck makers have left behind a big part of the segment, those of us who don't need 800ft.lbs of torque and just want a fuel efficient 3/4 ton to use for a truck camper and occasional semi-heavy loads of firewood or building materials. I think that if you're not a dealership owner pulling a 6 car trailer, or something like that, these new diesels are way overkill.

The power level on my 98.5 is perfect for what I need and it has the great fuel mileage to go along with it, unlike the gasoline engine alternatives. Would I prefer to have a new truck and not have to pound my fist on the dashboard to get my headlights to turn on? Absolutely. I got all excited a couple years ago when Dodge announced Cummins was building a new small fuel-efficient diesel for them that would have about the same output as my 98.5, but then it never materialized. The wait continues.

1998.5 24v 5spd 4x4 ClubCab. BHAF. 4" Banks Brake/Power Elbow/Monster exhaust. Raptor 100. Frantz filter. Westach gauges. Cooper ATP 265/70/17 on 4th-gen Laramie alloys. RedHead steering/Borgeson shaft/DSS. Rancho 9000. MaxxLinks. Rustoleum paint. 275k miles.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceHiker View Post
In my opinion all of the truck makers have left behind a big part of the segment, those of us who don't need 800ft.lbs of torque and just want a fuel efficient 3/4 ton to use for a truck camper and occasional semi-heavy loads of firewood or building materials. I think that if you're not a dealership owner pulling a 6 car trailer, or something like that, these new diesels are way overkill.

The power level on my 98.5 is perfect for what I need and it has the great fuel mileage to go along with it, unlike the gasoline engine alternatives. Would I prefer to have a new truck and not have to pound my fist on the dashboard to get my headlights to turn on? Absolutely. I got all excited a couple years ago when Dodge announced Cummins was building a new small fuel-efficient diesel for them that would have about the same output as my 98.5, but then it never materialized. The wait continues.

Yep, I fully agree. Seems odd that there is such a power war amongst the big three especially since the days of inexpensive diesel seem to be going away.

The majority of trailers being pulled by diesels are less than 12,000 pounds. A more powerful engine is definitely unnecessary for most people's needs.

I imagine the pendulum may start swinging the other way if diesel prices keep creeping up and stay there.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,563 Times in 2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgypsy View Post
Yep, I fully agree. Seems odd that there is such a power war amongst the big three especially since the days of inexpensive diesel seem to be going away.

The majority of trailers being pulled by diesels are less than 12,000 pounds. A more powerful engine is definitely unnecessary for most people's needs.

I imagine the pendulum may start swinging the other way if diesel prices keep creeping up and stay there.
Ever walked around a campground? Most of the 8000 trailers are being pulled by gassers. Trailers are getting bigger and bigger every year. When toyboxes came out that upped the competition.

2013 Ram 3500 Dually CTD 6.7/Aisin/4:10 LSD
Previous Rams:
90 CC Dually, 94 RC LB, 95 CC SB, 98 QC Dually, 00 QC Dually, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually, 05 QC Dually, 08 QC Dually, 10 CC Dually
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Cummins Nut

Diesel's are awesome in everyway. I pull a backhoe to any other kind of load everyday. I'll never buy a gas love the power and might I just add TURBO!!!!! I like big trucks and diesel have power anyday to lift and have big tires. I hated driving a gas with big tires and the transmission shifting from 4th to overdrive. Power and speed sucked!!!! Diesel Power all the way my friends!!!!!!!

2008 mega cab dually stock.2007 5.9 Red Dodge Megacab 6 inch lift with 37 New Trail Grapplers on 20's. Starit 4 inch and edge juice with hott unlock.98.5 24Valve 5 speed dually, fass fuel system, strait 4 inch 8 inch tip. Smarty with revo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode