Nearly 500K Ram HD Pickup Trucks Recalled for Fire Hazard - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Cummins Forum News News and CF Staff Updates to the Members. Plans, site changes, things to look forward to, etc. Only staff may start new threads.

8Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 01:08 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpvic View Post
I agree, to bad a cummins original water pump couldn't stay in the engine because of the POS EGR system needing more cooling. It just a had to be a failed mopar pump.
Pretty sure it is a Cummins pump.

Jeff

2017 2500 CCLB Bright Silver, 4wd, G56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Anyone gotten a notice about this yet?

2016 2500 CCSB Tradesman G56, Valair DD,Genos trans cooling fins, MM3,BD High idle kit,BD TSB, 4" downpipe back w/muffler,N-fabbs,Duraflaps,Extang tonneau,weathertech visors, CB radio w/ duals, Personally serviced & maintained
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsh4lf View Post
I'm assuming this same water pump is used in all the cummins equipped trucks? Article makes it sound as if only those with a cel should get it fixed. I rather not wait til I'm going down the hwy with 8500#+ in tow for the light to come on to get it fixed. Guess I should just wait for my letter. I never allow the dealer to service my truck, but for this I wouldn't hesitate to take it in as long as it doesn't require a computer flash. Every time they do that they screw stuff up. Dealers in the STL area are terrible. I'm sure we'll find out more details as this progresses. I'm going to be a bit nervous tomorrow driving 4 hours with trailer in tow knowing this now, that's for sure. Hard to believe trucks still under warranty are catching fire, but I have been hearing about this.
The report I saw said the pumps have failed during long idle times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
That's odd. Just wondering which trucks it's affecting or if it's all of them. Haven't seen anyone say they got a notice yet. Seems like they may not change it without a cel either, idk. Considering just changing mine but don't know the part # for the new part. I rather not have to worry about it.

2016 2500 CCSB Tradesman G56, Valair DD,Genos trans cooling fins, MM3,BD High idle kit,BD TSB, 4" downpipe back w/muffler,N-fabbs,Duraflaps,Extang tonneau,weathertech visors, CB radio w/ duals, Personally serviced & maintained
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 03:36 PM

I have a 2017 3500. Received a recall notice a few weeks ago. Called dealer but they don't even habe a part number for the new replacement pumps yet so they said call back in a month or 2.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762soldier View Post
I have a 2017 3500. Received a recall notice a few weeks ago. Called dealer but they don't even habe a part number for the new replacement pumps yet so they said call back in a month or 2.
If/when u get a part number, please post up. I'm going to so mine myself and do the belt at the same time. Bet they aren't replacing unless the light is on and also almost positive they won't do the belt.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:58 PM

I have a '17 CTD and tried searching by VIN to see if my truck is part of this recall, and nothing came up. Was this for early '17 model year builds?
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:10 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsh4lf View Post
If/when u get a part number, please post up. I'm going to so mine myself and do the belt at the same time. Bet they aren't replacing unless the light is on and also almost positive they won't do the belt.
I would rather replace mine myself as well, but I don't think a recall like this would only be done if you had a CEL light. Most of these pumps go unexpected as if seen many members mention on here, and your lucky if it happened on your driveway. Couple members posted pics of burned down trucks while left idling outside... perhaps related?
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpvic View Post
I would rather replace mine myself as well, but I don't think a recall like this would only be done if you had a CEL light. Most of these pumps go unexpected as if seen many members mention on here, and your lucky if it happened on your driveway. Couple members posted pics of burned down trucks while left idling outside... perhaps related?
I'd say it's definitely related and probably the cause of the recall. I have not actually had an issue with mine, another member commented saying it was happening at idle but what I have heard and seen is it's happening on the highway and could be catastrophic. Guess I'll wait and see, but I've gotten to the point where I don't want the dealers grubby hands anywhere near my truck. I work on class 7/8 trucks and am more than capable of doing the work. It would be nice to have a warrantied item replaced with my busy schedule but have had bad luck with dealers round here. Just hoping we get the part number and I'll do it myself, like you, just as precaution so I'm not in a surprise situation when pulling heavy or anytime for that matter. Haven't heard much about this since fca issued the recall though. Seems like the parts not available yet.

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:21 PM

Unhappy running the 6.7 cummins on little to no oil.

recently I had the oil changed on my 2017 dodgr ram 3500 HD with the 6.7 cummins turbo diesel engine. Come to find out the tec bumped the o ring off the filter prior to screwing it up into the motor. I left the dealership drove 12 miles stopping the truck at a local grocery store. when I camre out there was oil all over the ground under the truck. I checked the dipstick and it didnt register any oil on the stick. when I contacted the dealer that ed up the oil change they sent a tow truck to bring it back. upon examination by the service manager it was confirmed the o ring on the top of the oil filter fell off. This caused severe oil loss during my travel of approx 12 miles....... The service manager assured me the engine was fine?. He stated there was an low engine oil pressure cutoff sensor that shuts off the engine in case of rapid loss of engine oil pressure......... Is this a Fact.or am I being strung along. My truck was purchased brand new in April of 2017. I also developed electrical issues with the 4 wheel drive disconnect sensor failing thus allowing the four wheel drive to kick into low gear while traveling approx 48 MPH. and trailer brake controller failing intermittently. I have been pulling a 40 foot Montana fifth wheel trailer and the brake controller fails intermittently while towing . whether Iam braking or not the dash shows a trailer brake connection disconnect. Could these issues be related to the engine oil covering the entire under carriage during the massive engine oil leaking outta the filter.............................PLEASE HELP>>>> CHRYSLER IS NOT HELPING ME... THNKX IN ADVANCE.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj322 View Post
recently I had the oil changed on my 2017 dodgr ram 3500 HD with the 6.7 cummins turbo diesel engine. Come to find out the tec bumped the o ring off the filter prior to screwing it up into the motor. I left the dealership drove 12 miles stopping the truck at a local grocery store. when I camre out there was oil all over the ground under the truck. I checked the dipstick and it didnt register any oil on the stick. when I contacted the dealer that ed up the oil change they sent a tow truck to bring it back. upon examination by the service manager it was confirmed the o ring on the top of the oil filter fell off. This caused severe oil loss during my travel of approx 12 miles....... The service manager assured me the engine was fine?. He stated there was an low engine oil pressure cutoff sensor that shuts off the engine in case of rapid loss of engine oil pressure......... Is this a Fact.or am I being strung along. My truck was purchased brand new in April of 2017. I also developed electrical issues with the 4 wheel drive disconnect sensor failing thus allowing the four wheel drive to kick into low gear while traveling approx 48 MPH. and trailer brake controller failing intermittently. I have been pulling a 40 foot Montana fifth wheel trailer and the brake controller fails intermittently while towing . whether Iam braking or not the dash shows a trailer brake connection disconnect. Could these issues be related to the engine oil covering the entire under carriage during the massive engine oil leaking outta the filter.............................PLEASE HELP>>>> CHRYSLER IS NOT HELPING ME... THNKX IN ADVANCE.

I had the same type of issue with mine except it was diesel fuel. It took them 2days to clean the Diesel out from under the truck and 2cases of cleaner. The engine, everything underneath, the rear tailgate, even on the rear window of the truck. It was dripped like it had been dipped in diesel fuel. I had no ill effects from that. My truck is a lemon but has nothing to do with that.

2015 Ram 2500 cc cummins
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Just ran my vin on mopar.com and says that there is a recall notice for my 2500 but no parts available yet...

edit: And to add to this, it says;
"Repair Description

The water pump must be inspected and replaced if required."

Looks like Ill be changing the pump out myself... leave it up to them to "decide" and then my truck will take a dump on a trip somewhere or worse go up in flames.

Last edited by dvpvic; 11-01-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode