Dodge Ram Plant To Be Idled Two Weeks After it Re-Opens - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Cummins Forum News News and CF Staff Updates to the Members. Plans, site changes, things to look forward to, etc. Only staff may start new threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Dodge Ram Plant To Be Idled Two Weeks After it Re-Opens

That didn't last long. Just a week ago Chrysler, newly emerged from bankruptcy protection, announced that it would be restarting production at 11 of its manufacturing plants. With new ownership from Fiat and the U.S. and Canadian governments the American automaker was eager to start a new chapter in its long history. There's just one small problem… we're still in the middle of a worldwide recession and no one wants to buy cars. Or pickup trucks.

As a result, Chrysler is idling its Fenton, MO plant (where the Dodge Ram pickup truck is assembled) on July 10th. Oddly, the plant will still reopen on June 29th, only to close two weeks later.

According to the Automotive News report the Fenton plant might not reopen at all as it had previously been scheduled to shut down in the third quarter of 2009 - and with the current supply of Dodge Rams sitting on dealer lots enough to last 115 days its unlikely the facility will ever come back on line.

More: Dodge Ram Plant To Be Idled Two Weeks After it Re-Opens on AutoGuide.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,055 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Don't the auto plants normally shut down in July anyaway?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

2012 Ram 2500 5.7L HEMI
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4L HEMI
2015 Hellcat, and ya, it's got a HEMI
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Gone Fishing!!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRam View Post
Don't the auto plants normally shut down in July anyaway?

Yes they do and its do to the changeover

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ORUDS0z3wd4/VNkJFC_gzwI/AAAAAAAAA9s/HcjNs3iMLTo/w1051-h831-no/15%2B-%2B3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Diesel Head

i have to hear this from some one who would know for sure....but i heard that they are movin the Dodge truck plants down to Mexico....if so im sorry for all you guys that own them....

Mine: 01 DMAX CCSB Hers: 03 CCSB Common Rail
PULLER: Stock 01 cummins with a weight bracket
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:45 AM
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,483 Posts
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
i heard that they are movin the Dodge truck plants down to Mexico
The orginal plant for the CTD trucks is in mexico. All CTd's up into the later 2nd gen's were made in Mexico. Then when the demand was high they added the Fenton plant.

BTW the Mexico plant all ways had the best parts shipped to it. Subpar but usable parts were shiped to Fenton.

2014/93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, air ride rear suspension,B&W flatbed
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip For This Useful Post:
bunga (07-12-2009)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Diesel Head

hmmm i never knew that......figures.....i think its nice of chevy and Chrysler to help out the american economy by letting other ppl make money making the trucks we buy...

Mine: 01 DMAX CCSB Hers: 03 CCSB Common Rail
PULLER: Stock 01 cummins with a weight bracket
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:45 PM

Whatever happened to the "work truck"? I looked at a new 1500 at a dealer and I wouldn't want to fart in the thing. And it's 41 grand for a half ton gasser. I'm looking at new F250's right now. I think if Dodge and Chevy and Ford went back to offering more basic trucks, maybe even with *shudder* *shudder* roll down windows and cut down on the interior bling and pimped up 2 tone paint jobs, they would sell more of the things to guys like me who just need a comfortable ride with the ability to load up gravel, triple mix, pig poop, whatever and not worry about messing up a $41,000 truck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 PM
06 Cummins

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Power View Post
i have to hear this from some one who would know for sure....but i heard that they are movin the Dodge truck plants down to Mexico....if so im sorry for all you guys that own them....

My 2006 was manufactured in Saltillo Mexico, been basically problem free outside of the HAVC issue. When you look at the structural construction, it's flawless.

They only made 2500's in Fenton due to the order overload of 2500's a few years ago. Now that they don't have the order overloads, it makes sense to close it down.

Take a good look at ALL the vehicles going down the US roads, ask yourself, how many are manufactured in the US? . . and, what percentage of their parts are manufactured in the US?

We have not had the US manufactured vehicles with US manufactured parts since in the mid to late 60's. Since that time, every day, week, month that passes the percentage of foreign/importd parts alone have risen exponentially. We have had US production/assembly of foreign owned corporation cars/trucks for the most part, but even go further and ask about what percentage of the GM's and Ford's are foreign part supplied?

CD

2006 Dodge 3500 MC DRW 4x4 6-spd 3.73 LS rollin' on 19.5's. Not stock by any means . .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM

does anyone know if the Saltillo Mexico plant is in operation? We have ordered a 2010 mega cab laramie 3500. At first(back in June)dealer told us they were building 09's, then at beginning of Aug, dealer said the build is on, its a 2010, and our deal is in place with all our 09 incentives and friends and family number too. I really need the truck by the beginning of Oct.,as we are snowbirds and tow a 5th wheel to Arizona..(traded in the F350 2004 6L) thank goodnesss!! Dona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode