Before Bankruptcy Chrysler Tried to Sell to Chinese, Partner with Everyone - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Cummins Forum News News and CF Staff Updates to the Members. Plans, site changes, things to look forward to, etc. Only staff may start new threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Before Bankruptcy Chrysler Tried to Sell to Chinese, Partner with Everyone

Before Chrysler filed for Chapter 11 late last week the automaker explored every option, including selling the company to the Chinese and forging partnerships with any other manufacturer that expressed even a remote amount of interest.

In public bankruptcy filings, made at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York, Chrysler's co-president and vice-Chairman Tom LaSorda said that the company entertained offers from Chinese automakers Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Tempo International Group, Hawtai Automobiles, and Chery Automotive Co.

"Chrysler sent letters to parties, primarily in China, whom we thought would be potentially interested in purchasing our assets," LaSorda wrote. "Over the next two months, several companies… expressed interest in purchasing specific vehicles, powertrains, intellectual property rights, distribution channels and automotive brands."

In the end, however, none of those companies were interested.

LaSorda also said that over the past two years Chrysler has courted practically every other automaker out there, searching for a partner. The list includes Nissan, General Motors, Volkswagen, Tata, Magna, GAZ, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota.

Many of the arrangements didn't have a leg to stand on, however, the talks with Nissan were thorough and only ended when Nissan couldn’t secure the credit needed to buy in to Chrysler.

LaSorda finally writes that a partnership with Fiat is the "best outcome," although that might be stretching the truth, as it seems Fiat is the only automaker in the world with interest in Chrysler.

The Chrysler/Fiat deal, which began back in March of 2008, is now before the bankruptcy court. Fiat didn't put any money into Chrysler but will provide $8 to $10 billion in small car technology in exchange for a 20 percent stake in the company. Fiat can get 15 percent more if it meets three benchmarks that the U.S. government has imposed, including building a 40 mpg car. That car will be a Chrysler version of the Fiat 500.

More: Before Bankruptcy Chrysler Tried to Sell to Chinese, Partner with Everyone on AutoGuide.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Cummins Fanatic

R.I.P. Dodge it was fun while it lasted.

2001 3500 DRW, Quadcab,NV-4500 with Torque King main shaft and 1 3/8 input shaft(after broken mainshaft and 5th gear failure), Edge juice with Attitude,4in exhaust,100hp Injectors.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Cummins Fan

Wow, that really would have been something if the Chinese had bought it.
Actually, I'm pretty surprised they didn't. They snatched up IBM Thinkpad pretty fast when the opportunity presented itself and wow did service go into the crapper in a hurry. Total change of ethics with the change of ownership.

Ordering a 2012 3500 on 6-1-11...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Cummins Fanatic

The US itself is in such a bad way that even China doesn’t want Chrysler. Man it doesn’t look good.
The banks are still about to fail, GM is next, airlines and credit cards not far behind. Did I mention commercial real estate?
That being said this is why we may never see a new Dodge Truck again, there is just too many hits as a nation we have to take yet.
That being said I hope all of you see the Government takeovers how they have had no affect of improving what is happening except that they gain more control. We have to stand together to stop this.

2001 3500 DRW, Quadcab,NV-4500 with Torque King main shaft and 1 3/8 input shaft(after broken mainshaft and 5th gear failure), Edge juice with Attitude,4in exhaust,100hp Injectors.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Cummins Nut

So Fiat doesnt even have to put up any cash. Just rebadge a stupid Euro crapmobile as a dodge and they get 15 percent.

Nice.

Cause after all, THATS what kinda car people want.

99 3500 5 spd. quadcab longbed 2wd dually Airdog 100-sold
05 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi Sport- stolen and totalled by illegal mexican smugglers
2010 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi BigHorn
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddooley View Post
So Fiat doesnt even have to put up any cash. Just rebadge a stupid Euro crapmobile as a dodge and they get 15 percent.

Nice.
That's not quite accurate.
The American car companies have ignored fuel economy and focused on the huge SUV for so long they have not one clue how to build a fuel efficient machine that moves humans from one place to another in relative safety.

The US and US car companies have the lowest fuel economy standards and averages in the world. It's shameful. But they have done this to themselves (or been pushed into it by Big Oil and the Unions.)

Fiat brings technology that Chrysler doesn't have. That technology isn't free.

And what are they getting? 15% of nothing if you ask me. If their technology and branding and management can make Chrysler into a profitable business, I say more power to them.
Several others have tried this and failed miserably. Looks like Cerberus is out their whole nut and there's some smart folks in there.

My guess is that in another 5-10 years Fiat will be saying "why the hell did we buy into that?" Just like everyone else has said who touched Chrysler.

Ordering a 2012 3500 on 6-1-11...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTruck View Post
The American car companies have ignored fuel economy and focused on the huge SUV for so long they have not one clue how to build a fuel efficient machine that moves humans from one place to another in relative safety.

The US and US car companies have the lowest fuel economy standards and averages in the world. It's shameful. But they have done this to themselves (or been pushed into it by Big Oil and the Unions.)

And what are they getting? 15% of nothing if you ask me. If their technology and branding and management can make Chrysler into a profitable business, I say more power to them.
Several others have tried this and failed miserably. Looks like Cerberus is out their whole nut and there's some smart folks in there.

My guess is that in another 5-10 years Fiat will be saying "why the hell did we buy into that?" Just like everyone else has said who touched Chrysler.
The only thing I remember about Fiat was what the name means.... FIX IT AGAIN TONY. I don't remember them building anything reliable for the USA... and weren't they also related to Renault... what did they build that lasted in the USA?? I hope they can really make things better.

2010 Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab Laramie 4X4 with 6.7L CTD, Auto, 3.73 gears. Last vehicle '07 Dodge Ram Mega Laramie 4X4 with 5.9 CTD Auto, 3.73 gears.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTruck View Post

So, by your post, mine was entirely true and accurate.
They get 15% and dont put up any cash.

FYI they arent bringing any technology. They will build teeny tiny cars that Americans have a history of shunning.

99 3500 5 spd. quadcab longbed 2wd dually Airdog 100-sold
05 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi Sport- stolen and totalled by illegal mexican smugglers
2010 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi BigHorn
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Diesel-less

Come on now, Fiat owns Maserati and Ferrari... it's not all bad. And have you seen their hydrogen powered tractor? IMO it's sexy as all get-out

1992 D250
CC/LB | A518 w/ 48RE pan | Tuned VE | Straight piped | Leveled | 33" BFG T/A KO2 on Moto Metal 951

2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4
5.7L Hemi | Diablo tuned | QuadraDrive II | QuadraLift | PoserPods™

1995 Dakota Sport
Forever in a holding pattern waiting on a built big block swap
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
This Fiat deal is starting to smell to me. I think these cars are going to be built outside of
the USA which means no factories here and no jobs for Americans.

2005 5.9 QCSB 4X4, Black, stock. Sold but not forgotten
2008 6.7 QC 4X4 Big Horn, Mineral Grey, stock except for K&N. Sold
2002 5.9 24 valve 4x4 , silver, short bed sport. Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode