97 f250 conversion - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
97 f250 conversion

Hello new to the forum looked a while but couldn't find what I am looking for. My son bought a 97 f250 with a 7.3 auto high miles for his first truck. I got a guy I did some work for that has a 01 2500 5.9 5speed that he rolled frames still good. I can pick it up for cheap and am curious what is the best way to go cut mounts off the dodge and put the ford on top or swap power train into the ford. Has anybody swapped body's before or just engines. I worked at cummins for 10 years so not worried about wiring or powertrain just dont know fastest and most economical way to go thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
IMO, use the whole Ford truck and install a 12valve with that 5-speed. Also use the Dana 80. Maybe the nice long rear leafs too.

There might be enough room on the Dodge D60 to land leaf spring perches. (There's the easy 3rdgen big-brake upgrade for these.) If not, get a D60 front from a 85-97 F350.

Not a fan of the 2ndgen frames. I've wrecked out 3 of them, and all had frame rust problems because they're made from so many pieces of thin steel.

93 W250 Club 6BTA |5spd |60/80/3.54/Lockright |4" lift |315/75R16 |HX35 |5x.012s |BD pin & gov spring
90 D250 6BT |5spd |D60/3.54/Lockright
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:45 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Thereís nothing wrong with a 24 valve, especially if he has knowledge with Cummins and isnít afraid of wiring. Yes, a 12 valve is simpler, but if he can get a whole donor truck cheap why not?
I will agree with just putting everything in the ford, they ride better in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_valve_Cummins95 View Post
Thereís nothing wrong with a 24 valve, especially if he has knowledge with Cummins and isnít afraid of wiring. Yes, a 12 valve is simpler, but if he can get a whole donor truck cheap why not?
My PSD experience soured me on electronic diesels. The common failures of buddy's ECMs and VP44 pumps gives me that same feeling... YMMV.

93 W250 Club 6BTA |5spd |60/80/3.54/Lockright |4" lift |315/75R16 |HX35 |5x.012s |BD pin & gov spring
90 D250 6BT |5spd |D60/3.54/Lockright
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

He could always p pump it down the road if it gave him troubles. But really as long as he watched his fuel pressure I think heíd be alright
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM

Personally if the 7.3 runs good I’d just run that until it goes. Buy that wrecked Cummins, get a p pump and zf6 or Allison for it, then swap the 24v and trans directly onto the ford once the 7.3 is dead. Fords make the strongest frames, bodies and parts out of the big three. Dodge cheaps out on everything. I wouldn’t use anything but the Cummins Engine out of a dodge. Use whatever transmission you like.

The 7.3 is a million mile motor also, I see no real reason to trash it if the truck is running good. Use it to make money for the swap, then when you’re ready or the 7.3 kicks it, make a dope Cummins swap in a Ford. That way you don’t rush a project, can properly research the project, and don’t put a good running truck down for a project.
Even if you’ve worked on Cummins for 10 years, do you want your son driving a swap as his first truck? Dope idea that’s for sure but is it the most logical for the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode