Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Australian f250 12v swap

29K views 232 replies 7 participants last post by  gun32gtr 
#1 ·
Hi everyone im new to the forum.

I live in Australia where these trucks are far from common compared to the states.

I've had my 2003 f250 extra cab for about 1.5 years and love it. Plenty of room for the kids and with the massive tray great for loading big loads of firewood etc.

The problem is the ute has a mwm sprint 4.2l diesel turbo aftercooled and it looks like after chasing the intermittent over heating problem the head gasket and most likely head is buggered. Now if a full build is in on the cards i've been roughly quoted 10+ thousand and then im still left with the little I6.EDIT;- TURNS OUT THE ENGINE NEVER HAD A FAILURE FROM ITSELF,IT WAS HUMAN ERROR. WHOEVER BUILT IT BEFOREM I PURCHASED IT LEFT NUMBER 6 LINER HIGHER THAN THE REST AND IT KEEPS BREAKING THE FIRE RING ON THE HEADGASKET. OVERHEATING HAS CAUSED THE PISTON TO CRACK ALSO. I WILL GET A TONNE OF PICS ONCE ITS HOME FROM MECHANIC

Not everyone agrees with the 6bt 12v p pump swap but im going to do it anyway as i dont want the 7.3l powerstroke problems as well and the 6bt is awesome and easy to get the 300hp-350HP AND 800NM at the treads im chasing.

Im going to be using the zf6 speed from a 7.3PS with dodge nv5600 flywheel and 13'' powerstroke clutch. Ive got the zf5 speed out of my f250 and has the np273 trans case so ill change the input shaft to the 7.3 one and itll bolt right up to the zf6 then.

Ive been looking at destroked conversion parts but after reading FORD12V thread there are other options i could look at.

I wanna keep it simple and reliable is the key. i wanna use the ute for 10+ years. So anyone with tips on keeping these 12v running for a long time please chime in and tell what i should do before i install the engine. so far i was thinking!

*KDP TAP
* SUMP GASKET
*REAR MAIN SEAL
*FRONT CRANK SEAL
*FSS MANUAL ADAPTER(who makes these to buy)
*NEW 3 PIECE EXHAUST MANIFOLD
ATS 2049302164
*ITLL have custom gauges to monitor it-egt
water temp
boost
oil pressure
Anything else a must in these engines for longevity?

Any how looks like a good forum and look forward to hearing everyone'comments and experiences.

regards Kane

See less See more
#229 ·
So quick update:- I FORGOT TO PUT THE T/O BEARING LOCATING SLEEVE BACK IN WHEN I REPLACED INPUT SHAFT SEAL.. Feel like a dumb a$$

#231 ·
I'm just glad it never did any damage as well.. And yep ill hope into that right now actually

#233 ·
hey mate where you located in AUS? has been off the road again now for 12months as the cops defected my lift and tyres. Getting compound turbos and engineered this coming year. hows the build going for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.