Sanity Check - Ball Joint/U-Joint Replacement - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mitchcook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sanity Check - Ball Joint/U-Joint Replacement

Hi,

I have a lot of play in my right lower ball joint, with slight play in all of them, and a failed axle joint. The shop is proposing Napa replacement parts, total cost is about 1.2k for 2 upper, 2 lower, 2 ujoints, and about 1k in labour.

Does that sound about right?

Is there anything else I should get done since it is all torn apart?

Thanks in advance.

2011,4wd CC/LB 3500,SLT, Raceme10, EGR/DPF, IC HD W2W Steps, 215kms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Buy your own parts and tell them to match that labor. Labor still seems a little high. They're likely proposing MOOG ball joints, which are not my favourite, but they're readily available (for much cheaper) on Rock Auto. The u-joints should be no more than 100 per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gened likes this.

Mega Crap. EFI By Altered Diesel Wurks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchcook For This Useful Post:
gened (05-07-2017)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

The ball joints upper/lower are Napa's 2601579, 2601580, and the ujoints Ju479. Interior B.C so there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices.

The prices did seem high (double the price of the same part in the U.s) from what I could see so I went and check out the local napa shop and online and it is a similar cost. So I am stuck with either eBay or a different brand.

From what I have been able to find on the forums, it is either go higher end or much cheaper.

I have used them a few times and trust their work, and I don't have a press or place to do the work myself.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

2011,4wd CC/LB 3500,SLT, Raceme10, EGR/DPF, IC HD W2W Steps, 215kms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Diesel Head

I bought HD McQuay Norris BJ's from Ebay a couple years ago for my 06, they're the same ones UAP NAPA sells as their HD or premium BJ's, only PITA is you can't leave the lower zerk in place cuz it's right in the middle of the BJ and it would get hit by the axle U-joint so it's a PITA to grease it. Their standard ones have the zerk on the edge at an angle so you won't have the problem.
Hopefully they can get he hub bearing off in one place, I've heard it's not uncommon for them to need changing and they're not cheap, I got lucky with mine.
I used Spicer u-joints.
Those BJ's would be about $310 US on Ebay.
Will

VA7 WRI
06 QC 3500 stick, DiPricol, stock airbox mod, Silver Bullet EFI, Pac Brake, Airlift, AD100, SB OFE, Kore, Thuren, MetalCloak, Bilstein, BD; 295/70R18 Cooper AT MAXX on 2014 factory 18's; 07 Komfort 274TS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Fisherguy; 05-07-2017 at 09:07 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Since you are in Kamloops I was gonna say "If you're in a bind you can come and use my shop/garage." But I don't have a press or ball joint driver. The offer stands if you got "easy/small" jobs to do.

1990 D250- *Under reconstruction* Getrag, 3.73 LS GM AAM 1150, HVLP lift pump, 366 spring, THD Fuel Pin, 2nd gen rad & intercooler, he351ve, 60# valve springs
1997 2500 SLT- 4x4 ECLB, 47re, 241dld, LS D80 swap, Rambrake EB
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Look into EMF ball joints. Made in Canada. I installed a set a few months back. Very high quality. The spicer non-greasable u-joints run about $60 american. Do yourself a favor and pony up for quality stuff. You won't need to do ball joints again. You can pick up a set of ball joints and those u joints for under 1k canadian

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Diesel Head

McQuay Norris (aka UAP NAPA premium) ARE "quality stuff", matter of fact they're what Carli used to recommend before he started making his own.
As for never having to do them again, unless you spring for the Carli BJ's I'm betting even the other quality parts are not going to last forever.

VA7 WRI
06 QC 3500 stick, DiPricol, stock airbox mod, Silver Bullet EFI, Pac Brake, Airlift, AD100, SB OFE, Kore, Thuren, MetalCloak, Bilstein, BD; 295/70R18 Cooper AT MAXX on 2014 factory 18's; 07 Komfort 274TS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode