Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What new tool did you buy today?

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Jimmy N. 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'll play with one of my most recent additions. Got tired of my mismatched sockets, they were all various ages and designs of craftsmans and i didn't have this or that. So i figured i would fix it, with the 299 piece socket set of craftsman. it is every 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" socket craftsman makes in std form. All easy read sockets, then i got the foamfittools organizer for that kit and spent some time going through and organizing it. i love it A place for everything and everything in it's place

#6 ·
Come to think about it, i do have a specialty tool i've used once. It was for a VW, it's a spark plug boot remover. Because if you pull the wire, you can damage the wires. But the handy dandy tool lets you pull the spark plug boots off, which is a life saver for getting the ones under the manifold. there is just enough room to pull the boot and get a socket in for removing the spark plug and installing a new one. It was really handy, maybe one of these days i'll have another friend with a VW that wants help

#7 ·
Been needing a good scanner at the shop for awhile now, so I pulled the trigger on an Autel 908. It is current and the battery just got replaced.

#9 ·
I just bought a 1” drive, 600 ft. lb. torque wrench. Now we’ll see if I even have enough... backside... to break 450 ft. lbs. on a truck lug.

https://www.alltiresupply.com/produ...-torque-wrench-1-in-drive?variant=16348840453

My bank account has been severely damaged by tool purchases in the last couple weeks. Did you know it’s possible to spend over $1500 at Harbor Freight in less than one hour? Yep, who would’a knew?

#10 ·
What did you do, buy a harbor freight store in it's entirety?

I'll have something new to post here. it's technically a tool, but i need to finish painting it as it came in a natural finish and i want it a little flashier

#11 ·
Not a mechanics tool, but a Agazzani 24" wood bandsaw. The machine is wonderful.

#13 ·
I was so impressed with the performance of my 3/4-inch drive hydraulic impact that I bought a used 1-inch version.
It has up to 2,500 lb.ft. of torque, so either the fastener comes loose, breaks, or I go for a spin.

Attachments

#17 ·
Where's the cooler full of ice behind it?:rof

#19 ·
Oh sure... you had to one up the vice fan with a knuckle boom crane.... but didn't see no fan on that crane, so it won't help you cool down

..I'd say that definitely counts as a tool though. Lol

Sent from my Pocket talket using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Fair enough, Loki. If it gets much hotter than it's been here lately (in the 80s), I might just have to do something like that.
Come to think of it, those fans have never come on yet anyway.

Reactions: Loki223
#23 ·
Im halfway expecting you to come back with a picture of you holding an industrial fan next to a lawn chair with you having a beer in it. But I feel ya on 80s not quite being hot enough. It's been in the mid to high 90s here lately and I'm tired of it. Weeks like this remind me why I wouldn't make it in Texas. Lol

Sent from my Pocket talket using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Im halfway expecting you to come back with a picture of you holding an industrial fan next to a lawn chair with you having a beer in it.
Reading this reminded my that I do have a small "industrial fan". Then I wondered how the heck I'd get it out from the back of the garage for a photo.
Then I realized that I could...with the crane.

Nothing personal, Loki, but I'm not about to do that for your viewing pleasure. At least not until it gets into the 90s here. Which I sure hope it doesn't.
Heat and humidity? No, I wouldn't survive in Texas, either.

Reactions: Loki223
#24 ·
Hello. Merging toward pulling my transmission I had to drop my transfer case. I made a transfer case jig / platform.

Took a floor jack removed the top swivel plate put a piece of plywood on top and spend some time making and attaching some custom sized 2X4 blocks at good support locations (almost nothing is level on a transfer case). When the jig was made I attached it to the floor jack with one bolt where I estamated the center of gravity was. Now with a level flat surface I jacked the jig/plate up and pulled the transfer case. It was a breeze, no tipping etc.. My guess on the center of gravity was off a bit but it was close enough that a 70 year old guy did it by himself. When I re install the transfer case I will use the jig with a transmission jack as it keeps the case level.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.