Starter Contact/Plunger Replacement on a 2nd Gen. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Repairs/Replacements This section is for helping you know what to do when something breaks. How to replace things, repair them, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Starter Contact/Plunger Replacement on a 2nd Gen.

My '01 kept blowing the "Starter Solenoid" fuse more and more often until it wouldn't start at all. I did some reading on here and found that it was probably the starter contacts since they are a known problem. So I ordered the starter rebuild kit from Geno's and I thought i'd share the details of the install with you in case you need to do it yourself someday.

What you will need;
8mm Wrench
10mm Socket or ratcheting wrench (must be 12pt)
15mm Wrench
17mm Wrench
Phillips Head Screwdriver

The starter is located on the rear driver's side of the engine block.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...3/P1020355.jpg

First, disconnect the battery cables.
Then remove the red cable from the starter with the 15mm wrench. Second, remove the starter wire with the 8mm wrench.
Now you are ready to take the starter off by removing the three 10mm bolts holding it on. Two of them are on the bottom and will be easy to remove. The third one, however, is on top and will be nearly impossible to access from under the truck. From under the hood you can climb on top of the engine and barely reach the top bolt. This is where the ratcheting 12pt 10mm tool comes in because with a regular wrench it could take quite a while. I recommend removing this top bolt first because if you remove the bottom two bolts first, the weight of the starter will be resting on the top bolt alone making it harder to remove.

Now the starter is free to come loose.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...3/P1020356.jpg

On the back side of the starter, you will find three phillips screws holding the cover for the plunger, remove these screws. There is also a blue wire connecting the two parts of the starter, the 17mm nut on this wire will need to be removed as well.

Once the plunger cover is removed and the plunger is pulled out by hand (BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOOSE THE SPRING OR SMALL BALL AS THESE WILL NEED TO BE REUSED). Your starter should look something like this;

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...3/P1020357.jpg

You can see from the above picture that the copper contact on the left was the culprit in my case, it was worn quite badly.

Now that you can access the inside portion of the starter, loosen the two remaining 17mm nuts on either contact and take note of the way the pieces go together. Remove the contacts and insert the new ones, taking care that they are flat against the back. When you tighten the nut on the long bolt, it will seat onto the contact (this will make sense once you have it on the bench and open).

Here is a picture of my worn contacts next to the new ones;

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...3/P1020359.jpg

Once you've replaced the contacts, put the old spring on the new plunger and replace it, making sure that the ball at the bottom stayed in there or that you put it back in before the plunger. Here is a picture of the new parts installed (the plunger should fit down lower in the hole, but was pulled up so that you could see everything in the picture);

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...3/P1020360.jpg

After that, just replace the plunger cover, replace the blue wire connecting the two parts of the starter. Then bolt the starter back up to the engine and reconnect the red wire and the small starter wire. Reconnect your battery cables and the truck should start right up.

I hope this helps someone who wouldn't normally tackle the task reconsider, it really isn't hard.

Good luck and happy wrenching :thumbsup

-Joe-

2001-4X4-47re-3.55 gears-Amsoil 4510-Isspro triple gauge pod- Leveling kit-Straight piped-Debadged - 240,000+ Miles and counting

Last edited by lvin4jc; 03-18-2009 at 12:24 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lvin4jc For This Useful Post:
Abduce1 (01-05-2010), cumminshakesit (02-14-2011), Dr. Wood (02-07-2012), hillcummins (04-02-2011), lonewolf900 (03-23-2011), nas (10-17-2009), Ops (02-15-2010), ROBBIESWORLD (03-13-2015), Savage01Cummins (01-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,055 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Great Article Joe, Thank You! :thumbsup

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

2012 Ram 2500 5.7L HEMI
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4L HEMI
2015 Hellcat, and ya, it's got a HEMI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Go for Broke

i did the same thing to my starter about 4 months ago,.....works better then new now :thumbsup

2019 mega cab Laramie
2015 Megacab Laramie 6.7 flame red
SOLD 08 Mega cab 6" lift with long arm kit, 2" leveling, flares, B/M, DPF delete, By-pass oil filter, cold air intake
SOLD01 4X4 Q-cab Sport Monster VP, Redline Injectors, twins 66/S480 with race cover, full billet trans etc,
Special thanks to: Diesel Dr.s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRam View Post
Great Article Joe, Thank You! :thumbsup
No problem, hopefully it'll make the job easier for someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphic Man View Post
i did the same thing to my starter about 4 months ago,.....works better then new now :thumbsup
Oh yeah, it's amazing now!

2001-4X4-47re-3.55 gears-Amsoil 4510-Isspro triple gauge pod- Leveling kit-Straight piped-Debadged - 240,000+ Miles and counting
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
It's got 12 Valves...

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
I just used this thread to help me put on my starter rebuild kit today. Works great. Thanks for the write-up :thumbsup

99 12V SUPER DUTY
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs View Post
I just used this thread to help me put on my starter rebuild kit today. Works great. Thanks for the write-up :thumbsup
Anytime, this forum has given me so much, it's good to give back :thumbsup

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode