NV5600 to FSO6406A 6 speed Fuller - Page 133 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1585 of 1894 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:12 AM
arp

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Paul,

I was working on replacing the yoke on the output shaft and ended up taking the bearing retainer off as well to re-seal the shims.

I followed the steps in the Eaton/Fuller manual measured end play with shims installed and everything torqued down and it was 0.009 a bit towards the upper spec. But I went ahead and applied sealant to the shims on both sides just like the manual says. After putting everything back together. I measured the end play again and it was 0.012 which is 0.002 over the maximum.

So my question is since the manual doesn't state to measure end play after apply sealant is that something that is expected to happen or did I do something wrong ?

Do you happen to know what the end play is on a completely assembled transmission sealant and all.

Thanks Again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1586 of 1894 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:18 PM

hello i am looking at swapping one of these transmissions into a 2003 dodge will your adapter work on one of those transfer cases ? if so can i purchase one from you? and how much? i can send parts if you need them to make one thanks for any help or info
post #1587 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Cummins Fanatic

MY Ford F-250 Fuller FSO6406A Cummins 5.9

My Fuller FSO6406A-Cummins 5.9 purrs, rattles and that gear shift lever shakes. I do have a concern with the hydraulic clutch slave. We have had a lot of trouble bleeding it. This is a Ford Factory setup out of an 2000-2003 F-750. It has a plastic slave with no bleeder screw. Any help working this out would be gratefully received.
This project has reached this point despite the efforts of James HeTTfield from Jedburh, Saskatchewan to rape and pillage it. I keep finding things such as: a completely faceless clutch disc for which I paid $600.... a rear end that he originally changed to a 3.55, but when my mechanic looked at the truck was a 3.73 ($300.) or the core engine I found in place of what I had paid for. A consummate thief, who until recently was selling his wares and services on Kijiji around Regina and as far as bases? in Edmonton, Alberta.
Besides making stupid deals like giving a guy the scrap off a 93 Dodge 250 in return for pulling the engine. I show up 2 days later at the farm and he had the truck already to be scrapped and the engine lying under a tarp which was promptly buried under 12" of snow for 4 months. He took all my intercooler stuff because "it was all coroded" and partly aluminum. He destroyed all my breather hoses to the turbo and countless other parts. It would have been cheaper to pay a mechanic to pull the 5,9 and get all the needed parts and then get the money for scrapping the truck. My way cost me over $1,000. more. Turbo was damaged under snow, had to build a completely unique piping system to get around not having the intercooler et al. HeTTfield had previously helped himself to my Powerstroke intercooler and all the pipes... so I had no intercooler from either truck.
A really expensive move was dealing with London Truck Parts in London, Kentucky. Bobby Sr and Bobby Jr "we sorta sound like country hicks don't we?" sold me a Fuller FSO6406A (out of a Kenworth, "don't deal much in small trucks") for $1200. + $300. core plus it cost almost $500. to get it into Canada. We finally got into the project and we pulled the shrink wrap off, my mechanic took one look at the play on the shaft and pronounced it a core. I phoned Bobby? and we negotiated a refund of $300. which he never bothered to come through on. The Core cost me $3,000. to rebuild, which was 2x what the engine had originally cost.
I have probably stepped into more rattlesnakes dens than anybody in this forum.... James HeTTfield said that "I would never put this truck on the road", but I have, through perseverance and bouts of stupidity brought this project to almost an end. Need to figure out this plastic slave no bleed screw clutch thing to be finished. The reason that I use 2 TT's in HeTTfields name is because the search engines keep trying to convince you that the spelling is HeTfield. They want to show you the search on James Hetfield, who is worth $175 million, messes with wheels and is the leader of Mettallica and not about James HeTTfield from Jedburgh Saskatchewan. who can hide on the internet because of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1588 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,250 Posts
To bleed the slave cylinder you need to pull the assembly off, hold the slave cylinder In line with the master Cylinder dead vertical. Cycle the system a couple times, and your good to go.

This is not my signature.
My build thread.
important links
post #1589 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Cummins Fanatic

ratios and rpms

My truck is presently setup with a Fuller FSO6406A which is geared relatively low, not as low as an FS , but still low. I am finding that I am primarily sitting in 5th gear at 30 mph in the city. The .78 Overdrive 6th gear brings the engine highway speed down a bit, but I was wondering if a 3.31 differential with my 16R235 Michelins would bring the revs on the Cummins into a better range and would I be able to tow a reasonable load without having to rely on a constant up-shift and down-shift between 5th and 6th-overdrive to keep my power?
I sort of miss the extra gear in a Spicer 7 speed ESO, but reliability issues scared me off. The 2' cab lift will make it slightly harder for the lady to get in, but she will certainly enjoy the very light pedal, a very comfortable bucket seat (9' travel with at least a 4' adjustable height) and using that long straight very positive gear shift lever (out of a 1998 Ford B-700 school bus) to get the best out of the Cummins.
post #1590 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Garage
FSO-6406A Fuller Transmsission

Been gone for the last 9 days on a short vacation to Texas. I see there are a few questions that have been asked and I'll try to answer them.

ARP-Bearing Setup
You may have already fixed the setting, but here goes for those who are wondering what to do.

There are two scenatios to consider. Are you installing new bearings or re-installing the old set?

A new bearing set will need to seat the bearing to the race. If they are set at the upper end of the range, in a very short amount of time, your setting will be way over the upper limit. Best to set them at the lower end and when they wear in, you'll be close to the middle limit.

If you are re-using a bearing set, the wear has already taken place and should remain at whatever point you set them at. Best to target the mid-range to be on the safe side.

Paul

Fuller since 2008 2001 Ram 3500, Single cab 12' flatbed, 2" cab lift, Fuller FSO-6406A, 14" Clutch.
Home of Fuller 4 X 4 Conversion Kit
post #1591 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Garage
Transmission Swap

efanch,

You wrote, "hello i am looking at swapping one of these transmissions into a 2003 dodge will your adapter work on one of those transfer cases ? if so can i purchase one from you? and how much? i can send parts if you need them to make one thanks for any help."

The 2003 Dodge had the options of having a NV231, NV241, or NV271. All of these transfer cases have the same bolt pattern and are interchangable. The 4 X 4 Adapter will fit all of the cases.

Paul

Fuller since 2008 2001 Ram 3500, Single cab 12' flatbed, 2" cab lift, Fuller FSO-6406A, 14" Clutch.

Last edited by chansey; 05-05-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: sp
post #1592 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Cummins Nut

Wondering if anyone has ever installed a Spicer ESO66 in a 4wd truck?

2005 3500 QC SB G56 SRW 4x4 Laramie Patriot Blue
post #1593 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 AM

ok so would you be interested in selling me one? i can send you an output shaft of an automatic transmission. would you need any other parts? how much would this cost?
post #1594 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Spicer ESO

Quote:
Originally Posted by downzero View Post
Wondering if anyone has ever installed a Spicer ESO66 in a 4wd truck?
Paul has set this up to work with the Fuller. Not sure what issues arise with the Spicer. It is 100lbs heavier, a nightmare if you have problems, even as small as the shift lever jumping out of the shift bar in the tower. The gear shift housing is about 6' above the tower..meaning you will need extra room under the dash. The Spicer is a lot longer that the Fuller... drive shaft length will be substantially shortened. I guess the gear shift lever and housing will clear the dash because it will likely rise between the seats.
Another thought is that I was able to find a Fuller factory yoke to fit my Factory F-250 drive shaft Yoke and a compatible U-joint when I did my drive shaft. All the Spicer stuff that I have seen are huge.
post #1595 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Possible issues with FSO6406A

I have a lot of gear roll noise when clutch is out and idling. The gear shift lever has a rattle like 2 sabres clashing. The transmission has a whine comparable to what my Clark 285 had. Are these normal? I have not bolted the floor panel and gear shift lever boot to the floor yet so I have more noise coming into the truck than will be normal after I close up the floor.
At 50mph or above, the engine feels to be on the high end of its range. I believe that a 3.31 might help this. Presently I have a 3.73 that has me using 5th at 30mph. The tach is not running yet so just guessing on engine speed. Found an incredible piece on another forum Driving Your Dodge Ram Cummins for Fuel Efficiency! - Dodge-Ram Cummins Power - 4WD Mechanix Magazine 'Tech and Travel' Forums
This discusses ratios and tire sizes and weight giving the best rpms to get the best out of the Cummins. It compares stuff like wind drag from raised vehicles cutting into mileage as well as putting add-ons like in box fuel tanks and heavy winches which severely affect mileage. It also looks at higher rpms that are needed to get more torque when hauling heavy weight and how it can change the expected life of the Cummins, which is something we all want to know about. We may have to use 5th on the highway more to get that torque and use the 6th overdrive when empty.
The high lifts and big tires give extra weight and add wind drag which may require deeper differential ratios to get the Cummins to sit in its best spot. The article even touches on how Chips can screw up the mileage and torque.
post #1596 of 1894 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Garage
efanch,

The cost of the adapter varies due to availability of parts required to build the adapter. The 38 spline output flange is no longer available and needs to be fabricated.

Need your rear bearing retainer for modification or I can provide at cost of $275. Also need 7" of the 29 spline output shaft from an automatic or manual. Less cost if supplied.

I don't want to be nailed by the moderators for selling commercial products on the forum. PM me or call and discuss how best to build a unit.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode