Truck died while driving won't start. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigfish95971

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Truck died while driving won't start.

While driving to work this morning I got on it and when I let off I looked down and the truck was dead like someone just turned the key off. Tried to start it again and nothing. Got it towed home and I cracked the 3 and 4 injector lines and cranked it, it bled fuel all on the ground I wasn't able to see it while cranking but fuel came out all on the ground. I tightened them back up and attempted to start and it started up. Shut it off and started it again and it fired right up. Any thoughts as to why this happened and will it happen again?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:41 AM
Cummins Fan

Anything is possible... vis a vis, 'will it happen again.' My first thoughts: fuel pump(s), fuel filter, contaminated fuel, bad battery connections... your English is difficult to understand. Grammar matters-- eg: "tried to start it again and nothing." Did the truck turn over or not even a click from the starter or noise from the fuel pump? Do you have a lift pump? What truck do you have?

You know the old trick when a fuel pump that's in the tank is going out... pound on the tank? This might be your experience, but have no idea with the info you have provided.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:29 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,364 Posts
It happens sometimes when you stomp on it and let off too quick. The injection pump cavitates and pumps fuel out quicker than it lets it in and creates an air pocket that is pushed into the injectors killing it. No big deal, just drive it and don't do that again. If it happens again bleed the same way on the shoulder. Or, Some times just giving it a half dozen or so 10 second cranks will bleed it.
Cummin_get-some likes this.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 09:08 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
It happens sometimes when you stomp on it and let off too quick. The injection pump cavitates and pumps fuel out quicker than it lets it in and creates an air pocket that is pushed into the injectors killing it. No big deal, just drive it and don't do that again. If it happens again bleed the same way on the shoulder. Or, Some times just giving it a half dozen or so 10 second cranks will bleed it.
Beat me too it. Ive noticed pushing big fuel makes it more likely. Always keep a 3/4, 19mm in the truck.

02vp44. 7x0.013's 62/75w Race Cover. 182/214 Hamilton. Quadzilla Water-Meth, Supporting Mods.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about the grammar, yes it did crank but with no fire. After bleeding the injectors it fired right up. The injectors in it are 7x.011 VCO to keep up with the compounds. From the sound of it I think I created an air pocket by chopping the throttle too quickly, that has never happened to me before so I assumed the worst and thought the VP was shot. May be time to upgrade to a hotrod. IV heard those delivery fuel faster or more flow for the reason of not starving the VP.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:34 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,364 Posts
It is not the hard WOT that is the problem, it is the quick let off at the same time. You are not goosing a Holley 4 barrel to hear it roar in the shop.
It is not a shortage of fuel to the VP either. It is a hyddromechanical issue in the pump.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.

Last edited by bigfish95971; 02-21-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode