Replacing needle bearing in CAD, HOW??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,419 Times in 1,350 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Replacing needle bearing in CAD, HOW???

Already replaced bad actuator and and axle u-joint. have a bit of play in the gearing must be the source of vibration. Only thing left, although both other parts were bad. So not a total loss, just a total pain.
Instructions please for replacement of the needle bearing at CAD form somebody that has done it?

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Diesel Head

What's a CAD?

'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. Jammer 100's, 62-65-.70A/R WG, adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs Take time to turn-so you don't burn
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:57 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
Already replaced bad actuator and and axle u-joint. have a bit of play in the gearing must be the source of vibration. Only thing left, although both other parts were bad. So not a total loss, just a total pain.
Instructions please for replacement of the needle bearing at CAD form somebody that has done it?

Iíve done them and they are a total motherF$&@er. They arenít nearly as bad if you buy the tool designed to install the bearing. I almost always screw up one or two bearing (good thing they arenít expensive) and always a couple seals. From the tire end of the axle housing, you need a long punch (all thread works) to drive the old bearing and seal out after you remove the axle itself. From there itís very difficult to drive the new bearing back in square. I made my own tool to pull the new one in but they make a tool that you can buy that makes it so much easier. I highly recommend buying it. The seal is even more difficult

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanks for the response. but i am still in the dark. Do you have to remove the ring gear and carrier? You said punch out the old bearing, which way. I thought you have to pull it out toward the CAD opening/toward wheel? Opposite for seal? What should I expect the axle to be like, Damaged? How does intermediate axle come out to get to gearing?
Step by step?
I have not looked at it yet with the CAD AND outer axle removed. I have had the actuator off replacing it. Found a little vertical play in the IM axle. I am surprised the outer axle is only supported by the seal on the inside. So with everything else and that I thing that play has to be the chatter? What did your bad one(s) sound/feel like?

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.

Last edited by bigfish95971; 01-26-2020 at 04:18 AM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Ok sorry, the IM shaft bearing and seal are done the same way but from the carrier direction. Yes you will need to pull the carrier out and drive the bearing from there towards the outside. The outer axle is supported by the IM and the collar (when engaged). If you are looking for step by step instructions, this may not be a job for you to tackle. With that being said, I encourage you to watch some YouTube videos on removing the carrier and then assess if you can tackle this project. Itís time consuming and a royal pain to get the bearing and seal back in without damage, but itís not all that technical. You wonít need to adjust shims or anything for the carrier if you lay them out and put them all back how they came out. Plan for at least a full day.

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4everlearning For This Useful Post:
Clunk (01-26-2020), KATOOM (01-28-2020)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I wqs able to down load a cope or the service manual for an 01(same as my 99.) I appears like the seal pushes out toward the diff into the CAD hole and the bearing can pull out into the hole toward the wheel so long as you can get or make a puller A pilot bearing puller can be inserted and or assembled in the hole and get a hold of it Then adapters threaded to a slide hammer or Threaded pull. Got to get into it to know bu tit looks like I can do all this with the puller I found I bought for a TC bearing I can also make some tools out of all thread and rods for installing the bearing and removing a and install the seal. The intermediate axle should just slid out the axle tube with a little cleaning and maybe the seal removal.

And the way my old works, one hour on and half an hour off. It will take a day at least if everything goes perfect and I have EVERYTHING I need all ready to go and assuming I do not have to get it half apart and go put it back together and go get something I need. So far i got two days planning and gathering and will have at least one or two more.

If Katoom has some weekday time free and wants to learn with me, He/you are welcome to come help, maybe make a video. I am not into video, hard enough just making and folllowing all the steps right.

Over filled it wiht 140 today and drove it 250 miles round trip to pickup the pullers. It was a quart low. It did pretty well almost no chatter going down. Got a bit more a few times coming back.

Hope I do not need that intermediate axle replaced, especially since it rides directly on the bearing. Luckily it only carries the couple of pounds of weight of the axle it self. I can not know about it until I get pretty deep into it.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 10:41 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Iíd say you understand it pretty well. I know that Iím not the best at explaining.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I think i am getting there. Got to get some more adapters and go for it.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:30 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,623 Times in 2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
I wqs able to down load a cope or the service manual for an 01(same as my 99.) I appears like the seal pushes out toward the diff into the CAD hole and the bearing can pull out into the hole toward the wheel so long as you can get or make a puller A pilot bearing puller can be inserted and or assembled in the hole and get a hold of it Then adapters threaded to a slide hammer or Threaded pull. Got to get into it to know bu tit looks like I can do all this with the puller I found I bought for a TC bearing I can also make some tools out of all thread and rods for installing the bearing and removing a and install the seal. The intermediate axle should just slid out the axle tube with a little cleaning and maybe the seal removal.

And the way my old works, one hour on and half an hour off. It will take a day at least if everything goes perfect and I have EVERYTHING I need all ready to go and assuming I do not have to get it half apart and go put it back together and go get something I need. So far i got two days planning and gathering and will have at least one or two more.

If Katoom has some weekday time free and wants to learn with me, He/you are welcome to come help, maybe make a video. I am not into video, hard enough just making and folllowing all the steps right.

Over filled it wiht 140 today and drove it 250 miles round trip to pickup the pullers. It was a quart low. It did pretty well almost no chatter going down. Got a bit more a few times coming back.

Hope I do not need that intermediate axle replaced, especially since it rides directly on the bearing. Luckily it only carries the couple of pounds of weight of the axle it self. I can not know about it until I get pretty deep into it.
I would absolutely be more than happy to come help...if I had the time. Even if that meant just holding the camera and cheering you on.
No seriously, I'd help if I could but work has me out of the area for awhile.

That said, I highly stress you get someone to hold a camera for you and document this. Take pictures at the least...

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:19 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Oh wow, I didnít realize you guys were so close to me. I live in Humboldt

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I will try.

4ever, you are supposed to be stealhead fishing, not playing around on here.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:15 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Ya, I donít fish the rivers much. Mostly ocean or the lakes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode