4x4 actuator or not. Vacuum harness - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,351 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
4x4 actuator or not. Vacuum harness

Recently have had an intermittent grinding in front end. At first I thought it was a hub and bearing assembly. Pulled it apart and found a bad axle u-joint instead. Fixed that and thought I had it. Nope, not the case. Replaced bearing assembly any way. Still not.

Finally figure out the was the CAD not pulling the dollar back from the outer axle splines. Every so often it would touch and kind of grind.

Think I had a bad actuator diaphragm I pulled it off an cleaned and checked it. Could not find anything wrong and put it back.

Tracing the vacuum tubes back to the switch on top of the transfer case I found the problem. There is straight splitter rubber fitting about afoot from the TC switch. The rubber had broken off and no longer connected the main vacuum line. So vacuum was not being transmitted to the actuator from the switch.

Went to town looking for parts t o make one or buy one. Went to dealer parts guy. Told him I was working on 99, and before I finished he said, because I was working on a 99 and he did not know what I wanted.
We started looking any way had He could not even find vacuum lines listed at all.

I searched Google for a "Mopar vacuum line harness for transfer case". After a bit of looking a found one listed with the Chrysler part number. Darned it it wasn't the right one. He actually had it on the shelf. It is as $40 dollar part. 25 online if you want to wait.

I don't care if it is the dealer or these ....chain stores, I am getting so ....damn tired of having to their job for them. Same thing with the u-joint at Napa. Told the gal I needed an axle u-joint and she tries to say I wanted a front driveline u-joint, then get s pissed when I said, NO, an axle u-joint. You can be perfectly specific and they are still idiots.

Any way for anybody that needs the vacuum line harness part number for the harness, it is;

5210 5317 AB
Genuine made in Mexico Mopar part.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:19 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Yep. Had the same situation with mine. I replaced the harness with one from Ebay, and it fit just fine. My problem was similar to yours in that the diaphragm was not engaging. Found my problem. Only one C clip on the diaphragm rod. One must have either popped off and got lost. Even the replacement diaphragm only had one clip. I put the other clip from my old one on and it worked perfectly. My hoses were like yours soft and broken in places. So good replacement.

Half of communications is listening, and you can't listen with your mouth.
2001.5 3500, dually FlatBed, 4wd, 5 speed. All stock except fuel delivery. 528,000 miles.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM
Cummins Fan

Garage
Amazon has it in stock 2 day shipping.

2001 Dodge 2500 5.9, 24v, NV5600, Valair Duel Disc Organic, HX35, Quadzilla Adrenaline, Fass 150, 4" Spacer, 1"Block, 5100s, Steering Brace, Rare Parts Track Bar, Cooper AT3s 315/75/16, Pro Comp Extreme wheels, Tough Country Step Bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

CAD still making noise

Well. SNAFU. Still got grinding after bump, in 1x4 at about 30 plus.. Goes into 4x4 and get light fine now. Vacuum line was definitely broke. Diaphragm seemed to hold pressure by hand good. Still seems like the splines re running to close together and grinding . put it in 4x4 while grinding and it quits.
Thought it had snaprings in place. Will have to look closer at one end.
Noise had to be the splines or a bearing I think
So far replaced a definitely bad axle u-joint.
Replaced hub and bearing assembly wit ha good used one.
Cleaned up and removed and check vacuum actuator. Seemed OK
CAD collar seemed to slide back and forth just fine no damage to outer axle stub.

Vacuum switch on TC seemed fine externally, no broken tubes.
Noise is high speed howl/grind like bearing or spline, not wheel speed. Sounds like when you hit a bump the collar and spline come together and grind. Lock in 4x4 and it goes completely away. Goes back out of 4x4 to 2x4 just fine but then hit a bump and noise will start. Then noise starts and stops at random with bumps. Swerving back an forth makes no difference. Neither does light to medium braking. It stops at down to about 15-20 mph.

Things to do tomorrow:
Recheck C clips on actuator.
By vacuum tester hand pump and check actuator and lines with that.
Check metal lines and rubber connection to the actuator, maybe onside is still leaking.

Question is it possible it is a bearing on the outer axle at the cad? Would it come and go that way?

All CAD experts or anybody with similar problem please chime in.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.

Last edited by bigfish95971; 01-23-2020 at 09:43 PM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
What about using this 4x4posi-lok and doing away with the CAD. I have read a small bit on CAD elimination and do not know why folks do not go this route. The Vacuum system works great when it does but then when it doesn't you are SOL. A manual positive engagement seems like a good solution. I have heard that the electrical systems are better but pricey.

To my knowledgeable self it seems like a good swap.

2001 Dodge 2500 5.9, 24v, NV5600, Valair Duel Disc Organic, HX35, Quadzilla Adrenaline, Fass 150, 4" Spacer, 1"Block, 5100s, Steering Brace, Rare Parts Track Bar, Cooper AT3s 315/75/16, Pro Comp Extreme wheels, Tough Country Step Bars.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I like the CAD . I have 700k on it with no problem. I just want know what this grinding noise is and fix it. If anybody is familiar with the noise and cause please let know. Also what has to be done to replace the bearing at the CAD. Is it likely to make a chatter noise.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,626 Times in 2,117 Posts
Are you absolutely sure the noise is coming from the front axle? Can you isolate it just to be sure?

Given everything you've done so far I'd suggest possibly the axle shaft bearing or axle plastic support bushing which is the only support besides the axle bearing. The bushing wears out and is easily overlooked...
This could be causing an alignment issue with the CAD and axles.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Don't see any bushing in the diagrams, Just the roller bearing near disconnect on the intermediate axle. Considered that, But.

Got a vacuum gauge today and did some testing. Good vacuum from both sides of switch on TC all the way to CAD, shift position appropriate. But found when applying vacuum to either side of the actuator it pulls it as designed in or out of gear. But then there is a leak in the diaphragm that allows vacuum to equalize on both sides of the diaphragm allowing the dollar to run up against the splines when It hits a bump then chatter for a while. No metallic squeal like a bearing would usually be., just that fast chatter of the splines. So I am 99% sure there should be no leak through the diaphragm, making me 90% sure the actuator is bad. Found my local parts store sells about one every month or two still. Let me know if you think I am wrong about the leak through.
So ordered from Autozone for tomorrow 104 bucks, about 60 less than others locally.

We will see, but tomorrow or not depends on rain coming when.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I do not see any thing except the seal supporting the inside end of the outer axle, The gushing/ bearing appears to be either there bushing or bearing on the outer end cad end of the inner axle, depending on year, according to Torque King. have you ever had one apart that far, replaced the bearing?

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:30 AM
Diesel Head

Given by your last post I'm guessing you've identified the plastic bushing on some parts website, because yes the diagram picture doesnt include it.

I havent had to replace the bushing in mine since my truck is still low mileage, but its a common wear item for high mileage CAD axles due to the counter rotation of the shafts in 2wd. And probably the lack of maintenance most front axles receive...

As for the diaphragm, I dont have a positive answer for you other than I would think you're correct in that there should be no leak in the diaphragm. The vacuum system is closed so if there's any leak then its going to cause the vacuum pump to pull air and possibly reduce the vacuum level across the system. The CAD diaphragm should be sealed whereby allowing full vacuum to pull the collar full movement in both directions and hold it there. That would make the most sense.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Well, Still screwed. You might be right with the bearing. Got actuator installed no problem. It was bad so not a total loss but still has noise. Intermediate axle end at CAD does have a bit of slop. So now How the hell do I replace the bearing, through the carrier removal or through hub/axle removal and the CAD hole? Google and search here I come. Anybody done it?

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Diesel Head

I'm going to guess that you'll have to pull the passenger side axle so you can separate the shafts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode