Hope it’s not the VP44 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hope it’s not the VP44

2001 ram 2500
Today at work my truck would not start. It had been shut off for 15 min. I tried again about 2 hours later and still nothing. My fuel gauge was reading 15 psi. I depressed the schrader at the vp44 and got a good spray of fuel out. For lack of any better thoughts I gave it a shot of starting fluid and that got it running. I drove home from there after about 20 minutes of mixed highway and town driving it started to sputter while going 50mph. I kept my foot in it until someone pulled off the road in front of me. As soon as I let off the throttle it died flat while going about 25mph. I pulled off and after 3 rounds of ether she was running again. I kept my foot in it the rest of the way home(ending with a long steep grade). I shut it down and started it back up fine. Several hours later it is still starting fine. The fuel pressure did not drop below 8psi the whole trip. There are no trouble codes. I am looking for suggestions as to what I might look at. I changed the fuel filter after this just because it was due.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,319 Posts
Obviously you need to start with pulling codes with a scan tool, rather than the key. If you get one of the three codes for a bad VP, they are usually correct.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I did not specify that I did use a scan tool to pull the codes. Sorry about that. I think that I have it narrowed down to sucking air somewhere low in the fuel tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Possibly the sock came off of the pickup or has a hole in it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Diesel Head

What "sock" Do you have an aftermarket draw straw? How much fuel is in tank? What lift pump and draw system? Air leaks in intake side of fuel system are rear but possible, usually on systems that have had the tank out, or original systems that have a damaged fuel module from old and wear and tear. Having to "keep you foot in it" is usually VP related. Sometimes VP's go out overtime and do not always throw codes immediately. Keep checking.
Make sure you check all battery terminals and harness plugs for loose, dirt or corrosion.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I assumed that the draw straw has a sock on the end of it to prevent any potential large chunks from getting into the lift pump/ help prevent air from being drawn when the tank is low and sloshes. When the problem started I was sitting at 1/8 of a tank. Since I filled the tank I have had no more issues. I have the Factory lift pump in the engine bay. It keeps good pressure and I have a fuel pressure gauge on my A pillar that I monitor so I am good with it. The truck is at 255,000 miles and I have owned it since 185,000. In that time there have been no issues with the fuel system. I have not opened the system up at all other than to change fuel filters.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Diesel Head

There is no "Draw Straw" on the stock system. It is contained inside fuel canister module. But you are probably right in general. Original modules have some screens and one way valves in them that get old and damaged allowing the canister reserve for steep hills and turns and stopping to loose its fuel so that when low on fuel it all goes to the front of the tank and sucks air, killing it and often needing bleeding to get going. We call it the "1/4 tank problem". If the case, the answer is module replacement or keeping it fuller, over 1/4 tank full.

However this is not a problem going donw the straight road crusing. Only on steep hills, hard sharp turns or sharp stopping.

Last edited by bigfish95971; 10-13-2019 at 07:35 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

I did some searching and did not see any baskets available that did not have a fuel pump in them. Is that product out there and I am just not finding it? Is it best to just go to a draw straw or sump at this point if i plan on using my entire fuel tank? Thank you very much!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 AM
Diesel Head

There may be some aftermarket now or substitutes. But there did not used to be. The reason they all have the fuel pump is because that is for the in tank pump conversion. It was don becasue of repeated failure of original on block lift pumps due to wear from diesel engine vibration. If they were available they would be about the same price.
Google may help.
Look under an 02 on Rock Auto for the one youa re seeing or conversion. They range from brands 99 to 400 bucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode