Trans temp and OD off and on - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

2Likes
  • 1 Post By smokestack69
  • 1 Post By bigfish95971

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Trans temp and OD off and on

Hi, I am having problems with the automatic transmission in our 3500. While in park the trans temp sensor light and chime goes off and on along with OD light. Put in gear and drives ok until overdrive kicks in, then light for temp and OD comes on again. I don't know if it is a certain amount of time or temp but once the tranny temp gets up to 120 everything works good. The only thing is after the temp light on OD starts working I loose first gear at takeoff. I've done the home remedy things such as checking all grounds, wrapping the alternator wire, running a direct ground wire from battery to firewall and installing the BDS noise isolator. Not fixed yet. Don't know if there is anything else I can do before going to a transmission shop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Those lights coming on is telling you the trans is overheating and making you lose overdrive to save it. check fluid level... is it low? is it burnt? does it have bubbles in it? Have you checked for codes yet? did you check all the connections ON the transmission? Any wires cut, loose, frayed? these things first...
spgivens87 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to smokestack69 For This Useful Post:
spgivens87 (09-12-2019)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:39 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,315 Posts
Just went through that with mine after a cheap rebuild. Sounds like you have bad(or Cheap sensors and solenoids in it. Replace all three, governor pressure sensor, shift solenoid, and OD solenoid pair and harness(includes temp sensor in the harness) use only OEM, or good brand name, no cheap crap at all, preferably oem. Do full flush and filter change too, if dirty or metallic in it do it twice and replace clutches if possible. If internal clutch is bad rebuild needed, If just OD clutches are bad they can be done with just OD removal.
But start with doing all the solenoids. With sockets and a torx you can do all the solenoids yourself if you have any skill at all by just dropping the pan and valve body.. Be careful with harness plug that it is not hard and disintegrating.
spgivens87 likes this.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigfish95971 For This Useful Post:
spgivens87 (09-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode