1999 Dodge Ram 2500 2nd Gen cummins starting issues - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 2nd Gen cummins starting issues

My truck was down for a few months. Got a new transmission put in and when i went and got it. Ran just fine. Sat for another two weeks. Replaced my starter, new batteries, and checked fuses. Truck wont start. It turns over and cranks but wont run. It started once then shut off after a few seconds. What do I look to now? I need to get this up and running asap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,315 Posts
Welcome, How can we help? First check all banjo fittings on all fuel lines ,especially the one on back of the head. for being tight. Then check codes with a scan tool. Note if any fittings are a bit lose, likely your problem.
Then Bleed the injectors as follows:
1, Crack a fitting on the VP return line.
2, Have somebody Bump starter but don't crank and start. Fuel lift pump will run 25 seconds.
3, Close fitting while squirting fuel without bubbles.
4, Crack loose injector lines #'s 1,3, and 4.
5 Bump starter again. Then Crank for 10-15 seconds.
6, Let sit 2-5 minutes to let starter to cool.
7, Repeat those cranking/rest cycles until it gives good squirts from an injector fitting, not dribble or bubbles, a good squirting.]
8, When you get a good squirt from one close it while cranking and squirting. Then move on to the next one to squirt.

If air in the lines is the problem this will bleed it and it will run.

Then if you get CPS code or if the tach does not register 200 while cranking, replace the crank shaft position sensor by the starter. Since you had the trani and starter out check the sensor for damage or lose plug connection first before other things above.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooddog View Post
My truck was down for a few months. Got a new transmission put in and when i went and got it. Ran just fine. Sat for another two weeks. Replaced my starter, new batteries, and checked fuses. Truck wont start. It turns over and cranks but wont run. It started once then shut off after a few seconds. What do I look to now? I need to get this up and running asap.
I have a 99 five speed. Did the same thing. Run for 10 seconds and die. No start after. Turned out mine had the updated in tank pump that was not coming on with the key cycled or bumped. Changed to a Airdog and the problem went away. I did the draw straw which I wish there was another way but it's in there now. Just can't let it get below a 1/4 tank now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode